It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:29

Sourdough

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Sourdough

Postby Rod » 11 Nov 2018, 14:42

I’m quite partial to Sourdough bread and a few weeks ago I saw an advert for “real San Francisco sourdough yeast” .
First attempt was pretty awful so I tried another recipe from my Bread book which turned out a lot better but still not quite there:

It’s a bit dense but tastes ok and very large. Not surprisingly, made over about 3 days it used 650 grms of flour ( when I added up all the stages).

Anybody got a good recipe?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Sourdough

Postby RogerS » 11 Nov 2018, 15:28

No, but I'll happily 'review' one of your loaves :D I love sourdough. And it's supposed to be good for you.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 11 Nov 2018, 15:43

Have you not thought of making your own Sourdough starter Rod?

https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-y ... tchn-47337

Too much of a faff for me I must admit!

I love the texture of sourdough but not so keen on the taste. Some places sell so called “half sourdough half white” bread which I prefer.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 11 Nov 2018, 17:10

I've tried 3 times now to make a sourdough starter and not liked the results from any of them.

I've also seen starters for sale on ebay and thought about trying one. Now wondering if they are worth trying if your bought culture is not great.

Used to make bread regularly but the problem with making nice bread is I eat it! So made very little this year (and still heavier than I'd like to be).
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 11 Nov 2018, 17:12

Yes I’d seen that but I thought making it from a ready made starter would be easier and you should get the authentic taste??
Even from the starter it takes 2 to 3 days to grow it on and you finish up with loads of it that I’ve managed to pass on. Luckily it lies dormant for a while if kept in the fridge.
I’ve also seen some recipes that “cheat” by adding ordinary bakers yeast which I suppose gives a milder taste.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 16 Nov 2018, 06:31

I got my starter over a decade ago from https://www.kingarthurflour.com/ . I've been pretty happy with it. "Real" San Francisco sourdough has a different variety of yeast though, and i dont know where you'd get a live sample.

I feed my starter ever 3-4 days if i leave it out, or every couple of weeks if its in the fridge.

Your bread looks good, though if its too heavy it probably didnt rise enough before it started spreading out. When that happens to me its usually because its been too cold in the house. I generally need to be at or above 75F to get a decent rise.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Rod » 16 Nov 2018, 08:39

I bought it from these people:

https://www.freshlyfermented.co.uk/sour ... structions

I did the mixing in my bread machine so it could have been too cold to get a full rise. The mix was also fairly wet i.e. I had to add flour to get it “handleable”.
Next time I’ll try to reduce the amount of water and keep it warmer.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby droogs » 18 Nov 2018, 12:23

I had an excellent starter many years ago (since lost due to circumstance) but all it cost was a nice day out walking and a compeed plaster. Basically i just took a large masons jar with water 1L and some strong flour 800g ( a mix of strong white 3 prt/spelt 1prt/wholemeal 1 prt) all nicely mixed in and left it in a mixed wood forest with some fine mesh on top fixed by a lacky band stuck in the crook of a tree. Wentwalking for the day and came back collected it and took it home. A week latter split it in half kept one and refed as usual. Gave me some lovely bread for a very long time with a taste of one of my favourite places
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Woodster » 18 Nov 2018, 18:49

Yuk, I stopped reading after the Compeed plaster :lol: what happened :?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 18 Nov 2018, 18:51

droogs wrote:I had an excellent starter many years ago (since lost due to circumstance) but all it cost was a nice day out walking and a compeed plaster. Basically i just took a large masons jar with water 1L and some strong flour 800g ( a mix of strong white 3 prt/spelt 1prt/wholemeal 1 prt) all nicely mixed in and left it in a mixed wood forest with some fine mesh on top fixed by a lacky band stuck in the crook of a tree. Wentwalking for the day and came back collected it and took it home. A week latter split it in half kept one and refed as usual. Gave me some lovely bread for a very long time with a taste of one of my favourite places

I'm learning quite a bit from this single post.
Never heard of Compeed plaster or a Mason jar but have looked these up now.
The jars sound like what I know as Kilner jars.

What is the idea behind leaving it in the forest? Is it to collect airborn yeasts or allow spells to be cast by some goblins that live there? :D

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 09 Dec 2018, 14:43

Some years back we bought some Tomato bread at a show at Wisley Gardens. It was very nice and I’ve been meaning to make some myself. Yesterday I got Mr Panasonic to make some and it turned out very well. I was worried it may not rise using Tomato Juice instead of water but it came up fine. Next time I’m going to add some purée to increase the flavour but it’s actually pretty good with just the juice. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 09 Dec 2018, 14:56

My Panasonic makes lovely bread too but it won’t bake a Sourdough sadly, only do the mixing.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 09 Dec 2018, 20:58

Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat