It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:21

Christmas

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Christmas

Postby RogerS » 20 Dec 2018, 07:19

Is it just me ?

I have absolutely zero interest in Christmas although I appreciate for many it is a time for family get-togethers, a time to spend enjoyably with the children. Until the family squabbles spill out after a glass too many of sweet sherry :eusa-whistle:

But, if like us, you have no family to speak of (and those few we have aren't on speaking terms :lol: ) and no children by choice...well, it's all a bit of a damp squib. LOML seems to like it...she's off shopping today to get the turkey and has planned some nice meals but TBH beans on toast would do me.

Hey ho...

Any road....hope you all get the pressies you deserve and have a great time.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Christmas

Postby justaskin » 20 Dec 2018, 07:44

Welcome to the fold. I thought I was the only one surviving with the "Bah Humbug" syndrome. Mainly driven by family upsets, oh and Brexiteriar tripe.

We will survive and enjoy even if its Christmas, hope you all do too.

Richard
You think its difficult try herding cats
justaskin
New Shoots

Name: Richard

Postby Rod » 20 Dec 2018, 08:25

I can quite understand that feeling and have several friends with no Grandchildren and whose Christmas’s (if not religious) is just another Sunday roast with a few extra trimmings.

There will be 15 of us for Christmas Day including a 3yr, 11yr and 14yr Granddaughters so the day is about them. We don’t get into fights as politics is banned and anyway most of the men fall asleep after the dinner

This year with having replacement windows fitted and my time in hospital we’ve no trimmings up at all so none to put away

Happy Christmas everyone

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 20 Dec 2018, 10:25

It's not just you :)

I have my Bah Humbug hat for the festivities. What I don't have is the option to avoid it all.

Merry Christmas!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Dec 2018, 10:35

Well I never!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Dec 2018, 11:02

Grumpy sods! :lol:

I like it personally. Time to do whatever we want as a family, the kids love it (and that's the main thing), dinner is a chilled affair, games, drinking, generally having fun and reminding ourselves of what we 'should' be doing all the time and not just at Christmas.

I can understand the appeal isn't the same though if there's just two of you.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerM » 20 Dec 2018, 14:00

I'm with Michael Bentine on this one, when he said "The most magical 4 words in the world are "The grandchildren are coming", very closely followed by "The grandchildren are leaving"". Son arriving home from San Francisco (drones permitting) and daughter, S-in-L and 2 children coming down so my 6 favourite people will be here under the same roof. Doesn't stop me looking forward to a glass of single malt beside the fire with the LoML when it's all over though. :lol:
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Christmas

Postby Rod » 20 Dec 2018, 14:23

Well with my simple foot attachment I’ve passed the stairs and shower test and should be allowed home tomorrow

Will have to use walking frames initially but no great issue.

Rod

Except I cannot drive the car
Last edited by Rod on 20 Dec 2018, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Dec 2018, 14:53

Result!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 20 Dec 2018, 17:43

Wish my shoes were as clean as that :eusa-whistle:

Seriously: "Good Stuff!!" Glad to hear it and superb timing Mucker!

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby 9fingers » 20 Dec 2018, 20:09

Excellent news Rod. Well done with the physio work

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Malc2098 » 20 Dec 2018, 21:14

Something to bring a smile to most faces.

Turn the sound up a bit. The Music is by Tchaikovsky, I think. Some ballet or other.

[youtube]4t0jDUQ2aJ4[/youtube]

Big screen is much better!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby selectortone » 20 Dec 2018, 22:48

Well, I've just had a very tough week. Nellie the cat, my little furry companion for 17 years, was slowing down over the last month and last week her kidneys failed and she had to be put to sleep.

I know it's only a cat, but those little furballs worm their way into your heart, especially since she's been the one constant here since my wife died 12 years ago and then the kids left home. And today my daughter, who came home from Canada 12 months ago, has gone off to Australia for two weeks to visit my sister, in Canberra (thankfully from Heathrow!) so now there's just me.

That little cat has left a big hole. I'll miss her jumping up on my chest in the evening when I'm watching TV and staring deeply into my eyes, and the soft bump on the bed as she jumps up at four in the morning and steals under the bedclothes to cuddle up with me, purring like my old Vespa.

So.....I'm very much looking forward to seeing my son and other (twin) daughter and their spouses over the holidays. I have two young grandsons and a one-year-old grandaughter and they always put a big smile on my face.

So, bring on Christmas!!

(and bring on the curry I'm going out for tomorrow night with my mate Vic (Woodster of this parish))
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Andyp » 20 Dec 2018, 23:21

Pleased you are making it home Rod.

I am in the enjoyment camp. The more people the better. Can be a bit tediuos if just us and the kids but with outlaws and families it is always good fun.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 20 Dec 2018, 23:22

Pets of any sort can leave a hole when they are gone. Get another soonest Terry.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 21 Dec 2018, 01:31

Sorry about your furry friend Terry, we could never face losing another dog when our 13 ½ yr old Labrador died a few years ago.
Made up somewhat by elder daughter whose got 4 of them!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Dec 2018, 14:26

A mixed bag for me. I detest with a passion :twisted: the run up to Christmas, starting sometime in mid-Sept, which includes with ever increasing frequency on the telly the ads for seasonal grub, shops (JL, JS etc) and smellies, together with the foodie programmes (Oliver makes me want to throw up) which seem to be the same year on year.

Then when the TWO DAYS is all over, we're instantly into the dieting shows because most of us have eaten enough calories over the TWO DAYS to keep a small country healthy for six months.

This year, I was away in distant climes and missed it all :eusa-dance: for which I'm extremely grateful. That said, my two kids (now 33 and 31) still like it so it's a chance for us all to get together for an annual chin wag, notwithstanding that as soon as No.1 son walks in the front door, he heads straight for the larder to check the 'state of play'.

Christmas is fine once it gets here, provided of course they show the remake of 'Miracle on 34th St'; then it's out with a drop of the malt and a mince pie (or two) - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Doug » 21 Dec 2018, 15:23

I like this Yuletide malarkey, I’ve cranked the central heating up a notch in the workshop, made a few pressies & am free for a couple of weeks to do what I want to in the shop.
I made a start yesterday afternoon & made a mobile base for the bandsaw, I’ve done my last job of the year this morning so I’m gearing up to make a new chopsaw stand/unit & if I get time a storage unit for my lathe tools, happy days
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 21 Dec 2018, 16:11

So you have two sons then Rob and I know you don’t !! That saying came from the long gone Charlie Chan series where he had 14!
Hope you enjoyed your hols.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 21 Dec 2018, 18:07

Rod wrote:So you have two sons then Rob and I know you don’t !! That saying came from the long gone Charlie Chan series where he had 14!
Hope you enjoyed your hols.

Rod

No.1 son and No.1 daughter: 'tis enough. Hols were great but touring NZ in a camper van was hard work - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 21 Dec 2018, 18:22

Christmas has always been a special time of year, especially when you have a youngster at home. It’s not so important for us now but I wouldn’t want to deny others the pleasure. It has got very commercial though which is a shame.

Happy Christmas to all on here. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 22 Dec 2018, 12:01

Discharged at about 10:30 by doctors but didn’t escape until 19:30!
The hospital and stall are fantastic but their discharge procedure is diabolical.

The physios came up with another splint that holds my drooping foot better:

And I have to wear this at night, it’s a metal frame with lambswool

But the main thing is that I’m home!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 22 Dec 2018, 12:25

Yay!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby 9fingers » 22 Dec 2018, 12:28

Congratulations on your escape.
We also suffered from the SGH discharge delays but only about 4 hours so not as bad as your experience.
Daft thing is that until we got discharged, we were effectively bed blocking. If only they could get their a$$ in gear, someone in A&E could get admitted.
Absolutely no complaints about the care at SGH but they need an admin person to do discharge formalities rather than using nurses amongst all their other duties.

Have to get your finger out on those boxes now eh? :lol: :lol:

Happy Christmas mate!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 22 Dec 2018, 21:36