It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:04

Catch-22 and the DVLA

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Catch-22 and the DVLA

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2019, 12:03

Need to renew my driving licence. Also we've changed the name of our house. You can do it online. Or not :lol:

'Where are you living now ? ' ...that's an easy one. Enter post code and out pops the new house name. Tick.

"Is this the same address as in on your current driving licence ?". No. Thinks...highly likely their system will compare and contrast and reject the application. :eusa-think: :eusa-think: Must be a 'Change of address' section somewhere. Ah...got it.

"What is your new address ?" ...that's an easy one. Enter post code and out pops the new house name. Tick.

"What was your old address ?" ...enter post code and house name. No longer on their system. :D 'cos it got changed, didn't it. :eusa-think: :eusa-think: OK...there is a place when applying for the licence to add auxiliary address information. So rewind ........

'Where are you living now ? ' ...that's an easy one. Enter post code and out pops the new house name. Tick.
Enter auxiliary information ...." aka oldhousename". Tick.

We're on a roll now.

"Enter your passport number if you have one". Enter my new passport number issued 14 Dec 2018.

"That passport is not valid ". :o

Ring Passport Office..."It is valid, Sir".

So...Monday phone call will be interesting as (even though I am always polite) past experience with DVLA on the phone has proven to be exasperating. "Computer says No" seems to be their motto.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Catch-22 and the DVLA

Postby Malc2098 » 13 Jan 2019, 12:16

Good luck, Boyo!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2019, 12:17

Malc2098 wrote:Good luck, Boyo!

Yachy-bloody-dah :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby DaveL » 13 Jan 2019, 18:04

At least you have a passport. I logged into the HMRC tax system to try to get the small rebate paid into my bank account, instead of waiting for them to send me a cheque. The system wants you to confirm your identity and it would appear that the only thing it will accept is a passport, which I don't have.
On ringing them, which is a nightmare due to the voice recognition system not understanding me reading out my national insurance number, I eventually managed to speak to a real person. However they could not find any way to get the system to believe I was me, but they did get the cheque posted in a couple of days instead of about six weeks.
Good luck with the DVLA.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby 9fingers » 13 Jan 2019, 18:37

Over the last few years I've been quite impressed by the way various govt departments have become quite joined up.

The whole process of car tax works very well. Linking insurance data and MOT records near instantly. Shame they wont retain payment card details from one year to another though. Same niggle with TV licence too.

The transfer of personal number plates and re issue of the original registration no to the donor vehicle is very slick with an authorisation cert. emailed to allow production of no plates. Similarly the change of registered keeper and car tax rebate works well.

Just recently my company pension has been supplemented by the state pension and DWP have paid up faultlessly and transferred the info to HMRC who in turn have got the new tax code to my employers paye scheme and the extra tax due (£304 quid a bl00dy month!!) is being taken off my Co pension correctly with no intervention from me at all.

Nice to see technology helping!!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2019, 19:04

9fingers wrote:Over the last few years I've been quite impressed by the way various govt departments have become quite joined up.

The whole process of car tax works very well. Linking insurance data and MOT records near instantly. Shame they wont retain payment card details from one year to another though. Same niggle with TV licence too.

The transfer of personal number plates and re issue of the original registration no to the donor vehicle is very slick with an authorisation cert. emailed to allow production of no plates. Similarly the change of registered keeper and car tax rebate works well.

Just recently my company pension has been supplemented by the state pension and DWP have paid up faultlessly and transferred the info to HMRC who in turn have got the new tax code to my employers paye scheme and the extra tax due (£304 quid a bl00dy month!!) is being taken off my Co pension correctly with no intervention from me at all.

Nice to see technology helping!!

Bob

Absolutely agree with you. HMRC and DWP are the trailblazers in this. Excellent organisations. And I agree that DVLA is pretty joined up. Most of the time !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 14 Jan 2019, 21:58

Living in Norniron as I was until recently, I had my "Kyarr" ('car' in English) MoT'd regular as clockwork. Got certs going back 5 years. Came across to the bigger lump, and surfing t'other day, came across DVLA's 'way to check yer MoT'....yup, you guessed it, the actual wording was: "Your MoT is 6 years out of date" ...so, does Cardiff no longer speak to Coleraine? Did the much mooted e-transfer ever take place? You decide...

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 14 Jan 2019, 23:55

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:Living in Norniron as I was until recently, I had my "Kyarr" ('car' in English) MoT'd regular as clockwork. Got certs going back 5 years. Came across to the bigger lump, and surfing t'other day, came across DVLA's 'way to check yer MoT'....yup, you guessed it, the actual wording was: "Your MoT is 6 years out of date" ...so, does Cardiff no longer speak to Coleraine? Did the much mooted e-transfer ever take place? You decide...

Sam

:lol: :lol: Cracking !!! :lol: :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Jan 2019, 09:35

Got a very quick and detailed reply back yesterday from DVLA showing how to enter a 'Not known' address. But they did repeat the mantra that ...

"In regards to your passport information, in order for it to be recognised, the passport must be valid, UK and in the exact name as shown on your driving licence."

which it is and so I've asked them to refer back to second level support to investigate as I've no idea what other Govt systems might want to 'talk' to the passport system and so might also get blocked with 'invalid passport'.

"Sorry Sir, you can't come into the UK as the computer says this isn't a valid passport'. :cry:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat