It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:19

Aldi Stainless steel screws

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Aldi Stainless steel screws

Postby MY63 » 24 Jan 2019, 23:16

I am planning to use chipboard panels for my workshop floor and came across these and I thought they might be useful.
What do you think has anyone used them before.

https://www.aldi.co.uk/large-chipboard- ... 3265538803
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Re: Aldi Stainless steel screws

Postby DaveL » 25 Jan 2019, 00:29

I have not use those ones but found that you have to be careful with stainless steel screws, they are not as strong as a good quality steel screw. It's quite easy to strip the head and or to snap them if you over tighten .
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby sammy.se » 25 Jan 2019, 05:46

I buy Ikea's mixed box of stainless steel screws. You get a great selection of sizes, counter sunk and round head screws. Comes with plugs, which are pretty basic, but usable.

Handy if you need variety, in small quantities.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Jan 2019, 08:27

Building with oak here I have had to use dozens of boxes of ss screws. As Dave says, they are frustratingly weak, and a standard cordless drill/ driver will twist the heads off them in nano-seconds. I felt I ought to have left a note somewhere for the attention of the next person to renovate this place, apologising for the number of headless screws they'll have to deal with. After a while I found it quicker and easier to drill a pilot hole for each one, and so working up a ladder I needed to be able to safely retain two cordless drills. It was a pain.

I'm really not sure what you'd gain, Michael, from using stainless steel, so if you haven't bought them, I'd seriously consider using something more common.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2019, 08:37

I'm a great believer in Torx headed screws. But not those from Travis Perkins - Bullet brand IIRC - as they are useless and snap.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Doug » 25 Jan 2019, 08:43

If you’re worried about corrosion Michael have a look at decking screws which tend to be coated to prevent corrosion & you won’t get the problems associated with stainless screws.

Mike G wrote:After a while I found it quicker and easier to drill a pilot hole for each one, and so working up a ladder I needed to be able to safely retain two cordless drills. It was a pain.

I know it’s another tool Mike but when working up a ladder I find flip drill driver bits invaluable much easier than trying to juggle 2 drills & quicker to switch from drill to screw than swapping drills over.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150465534718 ... noapp=true
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Jan 2019, 09:05

NOW you tell me Doug!! :) :lol:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 25 Jan 2019, 09:07

RogerS wrote:I'm a great believer in Torx headed screws........

Why's that, Roger?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2019, 09:37

Mike G wrote:

Why's that, Roger?

For several reasons, Mike. Over the years, it seems to me that the Pozidrive 'standard' has, in fact, ceased to be 'standard'. I have a range of screws and bits that profess to be PZ2 but they don't match sufficiently accurately leading to camming out at the drop of a hat. Torx headed screws just simply work and don't cam out.

An added bonus of Torx heads are that you can insert the bit at a slight angle and they will still work just fine ...very handy in tight spaces where the PZ2 will cam out.

I will also re-iterate my warning regarding the crap Bullet torx headed screws from Travis Perkins that are useless.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2019, 10:05

Doug wrote:I know it’s another tool Mike but when working up a ladder I find flip drill driver bits invaluable much easier than trying to juggle 2 drills & quicker to switch from drill to screw than swapping drills over.

Now if they did a 3 prong version :) that saved me using 3 drills at one, drill, countersink and screw.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 25 Jan 2019, 10:18

RogerS wrote:
Mike G wrote:

Why's that, Roger?

For several reasons, Mike. Over the years, it seems to me that the Pozidrive 'standard' has, in fact, ceased to be 'standard'. I have a range of screws and bits that profess to be PZ2 but they don't match sufficiently accurately leading to camming out at the drop of a hat. Torx headed screws just simply work and don't cam out.

An added bonus of Torx heads are that you can insert the bit at a slight angle and they will still work just fine ...very handy in tight spaces where the PZ2 will cam out.

I will also re-iterate my warning regarding the crap Bullet torx headed screws from Travis Perkins that are useless.

:text-+1: Re Torx!. My preferences are from Clas Ohlson or Woodspur Torx.

I used Clas Ohlsons exclusively to build my roof after not being impressed with nails for the frames.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby HappyHacker » 25 Jan 2019, 10:22

Andyp wrote:
Doug wrote:I know it’s another tool Mike but when working up a ladder I find flip drill driver bits invaluable much easier than trying to juggle 2 drills & quicker to switch from drill to screw than swapping drills over.

Now if they did a 3 prong version :) that saved me using 3 drills at one, drill, countersink and screw.

If you use the pilot drill combined with countersink you can get away with only two drills :D

I have one of those elasticated cord thingys on the drill when working up a ladder so when I drop the drill it does not manage to reach the floor. Sorry HSE update, I do not work when up ladders :D
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Woodster » 25 Jan 2019, 12:27

DaveL wrote:I have not use those ones but found that you have to be careful with stainless steel screws, they are not as strong as a good quality steel screw. It's quite easy to strip the head and or to snap them if you over tighten.

Very true Dave, I’ve found it’s quite easy to snap the heads off.

I don’t mind Torx, but they are in second place behind Robertson:

https://www.squarescrews.co.uk

They have been popular in America and Canada for many years.

Be careful where you buy your square drivers from though, the Makita ones don’t fit the screws! I sent mine back to Makita along with a couple of screws but they never replied.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 25 Jan 2019, 13:12

Woodster wrote:...... back to Makita along with a couple of screws but they never replied.

Par for the course. I had a Makita SCMS where the sliders were as rough as old boots. Contacted Makita. No reply. In the end I binned it ad swore never to buy anything from Makita again.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 25 Jan 2019, 13:21

Thanks I always use screws and drill pilot holes the nerve damage in my right hand rules out hammering and nail guns my drivers all have clutches to prevent screws going in too far. I don't need stainless screws they were quite reasonable in price but I would get many sizes I did not want so I will stick to the treated ones from my timber merchant.
Thanks
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Doug » 25 Jan 2019, 13:33

Andyp wrote:

The photo doesn't show it well but the drill bits part of the kit have built in countersinks, so you drill & countersink in one action, the depth of drill is adjustable so you can easily set for the depth of screw
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 25 Jan 2019, 17:11

I hadn’t noticed that Doug, nor did I read the detailed description :oops: . Quite a neat idea and one for the birthday list.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby techauthorbob » 26 Jan 2019, 13:37

Well I never!

Just looked at the square head screws and realised that they are only about three miles from me and I have never heard of them. Will certainly give them a try as I too have had problems with pozidrive cramming out.

I have tried torx screws briefly but have stuck to pozidrive because of availability.

I usually pilot bore because of working lots with oak and find that way is less hassle overall rather than removing snapped/ damagedcrews.

Bob
techauthorbob
New Shoots

Name: Bob Hardy

Postby Jimmy Mack » 26 Jan 2019, 14:52

I'm a fan of the Torx-fast from Toolstation, I've been having less cam out and you can get away with being slightly skewed in the socket, which can be handy in a tight spot. Every box comes with a free bit too.

With stainless steel screws I believe it's important to use stainless steel bits as standard steel bits can introduce (rust) cross contamination.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Jan 2019, 14:58

techauthorbob wrote:Well I never!

Just looked at the square head screws and realised that they are only about three miles from me and I have never heard of them. Will certainly give them a try as I too have had problems with pozidrive cramming out.
Bob

If you buy the bits from them as well you’re sure of a good fit. I bought all my drivers and bits when I was in Canada and they fit well as expected.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 06 Feb 2019, 16:42

I like Torx as well for all the reasons given. The only screws I've tried are the Woodspur ones from Ax which seem to be pretty good. I'm currently working my way through my Pozi collection and once they've all gone I'll switch over to Torx screws - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat