It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:27

Animal welfare

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Animal welfare

Postby Woodster » 22 Feb 2019, 10:54

Hope it’s ok to post this.

https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/ca ... YxNzkzOAS2

Some of you may care to sign.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Animal welfare

Postby Sulturner » 22 Feb 2019, 11:17

Hey Woodster

Great Post and something I was introduced to in Secondary school after being invited to join a visit to 10 abotoirs over a period of one year. They involved bot pre stun slaughter methods along with introductions to Kosher and Halal practices. In fear of offending and please belive me this is not my intention but I did Find the Kosher and halal methods to be carried out with greater respect to the animal. Hard to take given the method (for the record I am not religious in fact consider myself agnostic). I witnessed more perceived suffering and lack of human respect and decency towards the animals from the pre stun workers. I watched animals (cow sheep pigs and chickens) being kicked pushed prodded and in some instances being scared shooed and shouted along the line. Halal and Kosher practices on the other hand dictate the animal must be calm before the slaughter takes place and great care was taken to ensure this. This said I also must balance this with the fact that I did not enjoy in any way seeing an animal being bled out in front of me and can only comment from the estimate of at least 200 normal methods and maybe 20 or so Halal and Kosher methods I personally witnessed. I'll be watching this debate and topic closely and still feel that most adolescent children of sound mind should at least join with this part of life. If you want to eat meat then at least give the animal the respect of connecting with its demise and if possible life to help broaden our understanding of farming practices and meat processing practices. Interestingly enough we also visited a meat reclamation factory and since then I try my very best to stay clear of reclaimed meat products. Again these are just some thoughts and not intended to offend and thanks again for posting such a little understood topic. P. S. I also live on a dairy and sheep farm and volunteer through the year as a result of my visits.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sulturner
Seedling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Feb 2019, 11:30

Gents, Can I draw your attention to viewtopic.php?f=18&t=58

Whilst I believe that the discussion has not contravened the rules so far, these type of threads can easily cross the line.
If you are thinking of replying, please take care to stay within the rules.

Thanks
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 22 Feb 2019, 13:47

Duly signed and forwarded also.

I'll keep my counsel regarding the practice to avoid crossing our rules !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 22 Feb 2019, 14:45

As a Biologist, with an intimate knowledge of animal nerve function (though short of a Veterinary Scientist's), I had no hesitation in signing this.

I have no cultural bias or '-ism' to play here, but rather I am trying to represent the voiceless organisms we partially depend on for nutrition. I have no doubt that our 'food' stocks species have sentience and as such, any method which ignores their capacity to feel physical or mental distress is abhorent.

In that respect, I have mixed feelings re electric stunning, as I do not know for sure how quick and efficient (attaining full unconciousness) it is versus the undoubted instant cerebral destruction of say, a captive bolt gun or similar.

Sam. Solemn.
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby selectortone » 22 Feb 2019, 16:13

Happy to sign this, thanks for bringing it to our attention.
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Woodster » 22 Feb 2019, 19:09

Thanks to all that signed. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby stu » 23 Feb 2019, 11:56

Surely you cant have 'animal welfare' and animal slaughter? Aren't they polar opposites?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
stu
New Shoots

Name:

Postby selectortone » 23 Feb 2019, 14:48

stu wrote:Surely you cant have 'animal welfare' and animal slaughter? Aren't they polar opposites?

I see your point but, equally, anything done to improve the lives of farm animals is a step in the right direction. Small steps and all that...
selectortone
Sapling

Name: Terry

Postby Gill » 25 Feb 2019, 00:25

Signed.

I have strong opinions on this subject so it's probably best to say no more ;) .
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat