It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:40

Drill bit for tiles

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Drill bit for tiles

Postby Andyp » 26 Apr 2019, 14:04

I will need to drill 10mm holes through tiles and concrete. I have always used the pointy type such as this for drilling wall tiles

https://www.fischer-international.com/e ... 0-x-15-100

But I now see there are flat diamond tipped bits for doing the same like this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-pg7 ... -6-x/78470

Are they worth the extra cost? They must be a bugger to to use without a jig to hold them still.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Drill bit for tiles

Postby Robert » 26 Apr 2019, 15:41

I've always used normal masonry drill bits for tiles. No hammer action, lots of pressure to start it off without wandering then light pressure as it goes through. Never had a problem. Pilot hole first for anything over 6mm dia. larger bit goes through easy once there is a pilot hole. Does need to be a new or near new bit.

I'm not saying what I do is right, just that it has always worked for me. I'd only buy those expensive special bits if I tried to drill glass.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby sammy.se » 26 Apr 2019, 16:37

Andyp wrote:I will need to drill 10mm holes through tiles and concrete. I have always used the pointy type such as this for drilling wall tiles

https://www.fischer-international.com/e ... 0-x-15-100

But I now see there are flat diamond tipped bits for doing the same like this
https://www.screwfix.com/p/marcrist-pg7 ... -6-x/78470

Are they worth the extra cost? They must be a bugger to to use without a jig to hold them still.
I've seen this done, by starting the hole at an angle, the edge of the bit, then straightening up.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2019, 17:19

Like everything else...it depends. It depends on the type of tile...terracotta? ceramic ?

Certainly on anything like ceramic, marble, travertine then those diamond drill bits are the dogs danglies. You still need to start the hole at an angle or you can buy kits that have a V-section, a sucker pad and a small pressurised bottle of water to keep the bit lubricated. I've got one and again think they are the DD's.

Or a simple appropriately sized V-shape in some MDF/whatever that is clamped to your tile.

Forget using them with concrete ....SDS drill is all you need.

Only downside of the diamond bits is that they can be fiddly to remove the core after or during the cut.

HTH
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 26 Apr 2019, 18:03

Masking tape can help to stop the drill slipping.
Depending on the tile a light tap on a centre punch can start the hole off.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 Apr 2019, 18:51

RogerS wrote:Like everything else...it depends. It depends on the type of tile...terracotta? ceramic ?

Certainly on anything like ceramic, marble, travertine then those diamond drill bits are the dogs danglies. You still need to start the hole at an angle or you can buy kits that have a V-section, a sucker pad and a small pressurised bottle of water to keep the bit lubricated. I've got one and again think they are the DD's.

Or a simple appropriately sized V-shape in some MDF/whatever that is clamped to your tile.

Only downside of the diamond bits is that they can be fiddly to remove the core after or during the cut.

HTH

IIRC correctly they are frosrproof porcelain. No worries about the concrete, that is the easy bit I am just a bit scared of cracking a tile while drilling. I am even thinking of drilling a 12 mm hole in the tile to leave plenty of room for the 10mm sds through the concrete.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2019, 21:51

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:Like everything else...it depends. It depends on the type of tile...terracotta? ceramic ?

HTH

IIRC correctly they are frosrproof porcelain. No worries about the concrete, that is the easy bit I am just a bit scared of cracking a tile while drilling. I am even thinking of drilling a 12 mm hole in the tile to leave plenty of room for the 10mm sds through the concrete.

If the tiles have got a good bed of cement then they should be fine and not need the larger hole prior to drilling through the concrete. I'd still go for the diamond drills for the tiles TBH.

I look at it this way...how much do the diamond drill bits cost against the faff of replacing the tile.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Apr 2019, 23:15

I’ve not used the diamond bits but I’ve heard they work well. Some folks suggest fixing a piece of wood with the appropriate size hole in to guide the bit until it gets started.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2019, 06:52

Woodster wrote:I’ve not used the diamond bits but I’ve heard they work well. Some folks suggest fixing a piece of wood with the appropriate size hole in to guide the bit until it gets started.

I read something similar. How does one the fix the piece of wood though?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2019, 07:07

HTH

I wonder if the suction pad will wotk on the non slip surface of our tiles?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 07:33

Andyp wrote:

HTH

I wonder if the suction pad will wotk on the non slip surface of our tiles?

Probably not in which case the answer is simple ! :D

You get a large sheet of scrap MDF (or thick ply).......with a V in as you will need to get water in all the time you are drilling through the tile....and you kneel on the end or put your foot on it to hold it in place while you drill through the tile. Foot is probably better as you can get more pressure. Drill the tile. Move on to the next tile. When they tiles are all drilled, get your hammer drill out to do the concrete.

How many holes have you got to drill ? Reason for asking is that there might be some extra wear on the end of the bit once you break through the tile and touch the concrete. But if it were me and time wasn't of the essence then I'd just get one diamond bit and see how I got on. If I then found it getting too blunt then I'd bite the bullet and buy another.

Don't forget rotation speed is important with these bits. You don't have to be anal about the exact speed but not OTT!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2019, 08:24

Thanks Roger. 16 holes.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 08:44

I reckon you should be OK with one diamond bit as long as it's a decent brand.

Have you got a good hammer drill for the concrete ? I remember once when renovating a flat in London I needed to drill some holes into the concrete walls. Tried my battery Makita hammer drill and the wall just sniggered. Got out my mains larger hammer drill and tried again. This time the wall could hardly contain its mirth. :(

So I went out and bought a large SDS combined hammer only, hammer+ drill, drill ..that sorted it. Only drawback was it didn't have a reverse so when I later got a wood bit stuck in some old oak, there was much swearing and cussing trying to get it out.

Good luck.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 27 Apr 2019, 10:10

Andyp wrote:
Woodster wrote:I’ve not used the diamond bits but I’ve heard they work well. Some folks suggest fixing a piece of wood with the appropriate size hole in to guide the bit until it gets started.

That wasn’t mentioned :( but some double sided tape should do the trick? ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 10:12

Woodster wrote:
Andyp wrote:

That wasn’t mentioned :( but some double sided tape should do the trick? ;)

Not a chance :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 27 Apr 2019, 12:36

RogerS wrote:I reckon you should be OK with one diamond bit as long as it's a decent brand.

Have you got a good hammer drill for the concrete ? I remember once when renovating a flat in London I needed to drill some holes into the concrete walls. Tried my battery Makita hammer drill and the wall just sniggered. Got out my mains larger hammer drill and tried again. This time the wall could hardly contain its mirth. :(

So I went out and bought a large SDS combined hammer only, hammer+ drill, drill ..that sorted it. Only drawback was it didn't have a reverse so when I later got a wood bit stuck in some old oak, there was much swearing and cussing trying to get it out.

Good luck.

I have a Ryobi SDS plus and a Bosch pro range hammer drill. Might need to buy a new sds bit

The bosch diamond bits are available locally.

I only have 5 spare tiles for the terrace so I want to avoid any cockups. I will use one to test the drilling method.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2019, 08:30

Get a tub of plumbers mait and use that to make a circular bund around the hole site then fill with water to cool/lubricate the drill tip topping up as needed. That will stick to any textured surface of the tiles

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2019, 15:00

Thanks Bob
I have some that is at least 12 years old. Probably past it's best. Will search for the .fr equivalent.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 28 Apr 2019, 15:05

Andyp wrote:Thanks Bob
I have some that is at least 12 years old. Probably past it's best. Will search for the .fr equivalent.

Old stuff should be fine if you knead it for a while unless it has dried right out?
Glaziers putty would work too
Blu-tack will also work but darn sight more expensive as it is not really reusable once the tile dust gets into it

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 28 Apr 2019, 15:11

But the bund needs to go onto the wood...assuming you're following 'best practice ' ;)
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2019, 10:49

Test hole went well

16BFFD8D-F3D7-4198-A1F4-AE877B86BF7F.jpeg
(645.7 KiB)

No bund (new wood on me btw) no best practice. Hole in wood, water in hole, nice slurry formed, worked a treat.

Took longer to get the core out of the bit than drill the hole!

4D41BD1D-55C5-4D7B-97C7-63DFD2B3C36E.jpeg
(623.61 KiB)

Drilled through four tiles and concrete before Roger’s weather gremlins arrived.

6DEED84A-0420-4F97-A973-7937B041ACBF.jpeg
(358.71 KiB)

Chemical fixing needs dry holes. Plan was to fix one post base at a time, 4 holes. I bought spare mixing nozzles.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2019, 10:55

Don't forget to blow the dust out of the holes before chemical injection.
Otherwise you end up bonding the bolt to the dust layer.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2019, 11:06

Thanks Bob, I bought a brush for the purpose and should be able to blow any other dust out with bicycle pump. Was certainly not going to buy a purpose blower for 10 euros.! Will vacuum as well.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 26 May 2019, 11:55

Andyp wrote:Thanks Bob, I bought a brush for the purpose and should be able to blow any other dust out with bicycle pump. Was certainly not going to buy a purpose blower for 10 euros.! Will vacuum as well.

Indeed! no special tool needed just a length of tube from the pump to the bottom of the hole to blow dust up and out of the hole, even a mark 1 lung pair on the tube will do (but dont suck ! :lol: )

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2019, 15:16

Despite my best efforts and Mothers Day lunch getting in the way three of the first four holes got wet so resorted to hair dryer and kitchen towel to make sure they were bone dry.

IMG_20190526_150033820.jpg
(227.28 KiB)

Only managed to get two of the four supports done.

IMG_20190526_160302083.jpg
(291.02 KiB)

Judging how much "glue" to chuck down the holes is almost impossible. Probably wasted 50% of what I used. still plenty left providing it does not cure in the tube.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat