It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 14:18

Wireless printers

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Wireless printers

Postby Doug » 27 Apr 2019, 15:12

Can anyone recommend a wireless printer for infrequent use, I don’t know if I’m just unlucky with printers but they never seem to last, the latest one won’t print black & wont recognise a genuine brand cartridge :evil:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Wireless printers

Postby marineboy » 27 Apr 2019, 16:07

I bought a Canon Pixma MG2550 a few months back. Like you, I only use it occasionally. It is easy to operate, reasonably fast, and so far does not seem too hard on ink. Only about £50.
marineboy
Seedling

Name: Nick

Postby Robert » 27 Apr 2019, 18:06

Infrequent use is the key thing here. I print infrequently too and it used to be a right PITA with inkjet nozzles clogging.

Now i have a brother colour laser printer and never any problem no matter how long between prints. It came with 'starter' cartridges which are only part filled. So far I've only replaced the black after 2 years.

Mine is a Brother HL-3140CW but I'd just look for an offer on a wireless colour laser. I paid about £80 at the time I think. (Compatible toner set about £30)

2 potential downsides to the laser though... It's quite a large beast and whilst it prints a decent photo on plain paper it can't do true photo printing like a decent inkjet printer.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 27 Apr 2019, 18:08

Yup...same here. Why anyone buy an inkjet printer is beyond me. We've got an HP colour laser printer/scanner/copier and it didn't cost that much either.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 27 Apr 2019, 18:09

Doug wrote:Can anyone recommend a wireless printer for infrequent use, I don’t know if I’m just unlucky with printers but they never seem to last, the latest one won’t print black & wont recognise a genuine brand cartridge :evil:

I bought an HP Envy a while back which can be wireless or hard wired in. Mine is hard wired; no problems - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby DaveL » 27 Apr 2019, 19:12

I have a Dell colour laser printer, its not wireless but has a network port. I have just connected it to my router and them anything on the network can use it, wired or wifi.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodster » 27 Apr 2019, 23:53

We’ve had a Canon colour inkjet for at least six years and rarely have problems with it. We did buy a Brother colour laser printer though specifically for the AirPrint feature and the network side of the printer failed a few months after the warranty ran out. :( We still use it wired and it works fine. You can also reset the so called “empty” toner cartridges several times if you buy a simple kit for it from these folks.

https://www.urefilltoner.co.uk/

They also sell bottles of toner to top up the cartridges.
It’ll have to go though sooner or later as we still want an AirPrint printer! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Coley » 28 Apr 2019, 00:30

I've got an epson wireless a3 inkjet printer. I've used it several times but I know it's dead already because I haven't used it for several months. I got my niece a rather expensive laser printer and know this should be my next purchase. I cant be dealing with the clogged up nozzles and required headcleans. If the fuse was blown I'd call that it and realise laser is the way forward.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerM » 28 Apr 2019, 10:20

Depends how much you want to pay. I've got a Samsung CLP680 which comes with a black toner cartridge plus the standard 3 colours which gets moderate use. It's never missed a beat and we're still on the original cartridges after 2 years moderate use, and that included printing 150 x 3 page orders of service, inc 3 photos for my Mum's funeral. Good photo reproduction, fast, and 2 sided printing. Currently around £185 when bought online.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 28 Apr 2019, 14:56

how frequent is infrequent?

We have had a HP Envy 5530 All in one for 3 months short of 4 years. We can go for several weeks without printing. The missus does most of it at work. Scanner gets a lot of use.

My father has the same for just over 3 years and he is still on the first ream of paper.

Less than €50 each new.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 28 Apr 2019, 15:57

It is a while since I was involved in this business but the principles are the same laser is best for frequent use but also for those who use it so infrequently inkjets would dry up. Lasers use dry toner rather than ink.
Ink jets are the cheaper option.
Generally there are two types of ink jet printer one has cartridges with print heads included usually HP the second has ink tanks and separate print heads although HP do make some these are usually Canon or Epsom.
Both have pros and cons and generally the cost is balanced out over time.
I have an HP office jet pro 8500a which is over 10 years old it has tanks and seperate heads and has printed 0000's of pages over the years.
My preference would be an ink jet for small amouts of colour and a laser for mono.
Hope this helps
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Woodster » 28 Apr 2019, 17:02

It obviously depends on what you’re printing. I used to operate a £10k Canon colour laser printer/copier and print quality as you would expect was excellent for text and graphics but still not a match for a modest price inkjet when it came to photographs. For anyone thinking of a colour laser check out this site first to see if you can refill the cartridges as they can work out very expensive.

https://www.urefilltoner.co.uk/

There was a Samsung colour laser offered a few years back and the cost of new replacement cartridges was more than the printer! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 01 May 2019, 09:24

I had an HP inkjet that the printhead packed up.
Cannot replace the head, have to replace the printer.

The new printer is a Canon iSensys MF237w laserjet.
Wireless, scanner, copier, printer, fax.
The footprint not much larger than the HP
It was on a special for ZAR3,000.00 about GBP160

The WiFi is a must as wife can print from wherever she is in the house.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Robert » 01 May 2019, 11:39

Brother colour laser here for £83 after cashback -

https://www.leoofficesupplies.co.uk/bro ... inter.html

I'd check out compatible toner prices first though - I've not looked.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Doug » 01 May 2019, 20:05

Thanks for all the input chaps I’ve not made a final brand choice but it’s looking like a I’ll be going for a mono chrome laser one as it’s only for quotes, invoices & receipts.

Cheers.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 May 2019, 23:28

My HP Laserjet 1200 must be over 20yrs old and it’s still going strong.
I see company’s are selling refurbished ones.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 05 May 2019, 14:40

I’ve ended up buying a Samsung Xpress sl-m2026w which apart from the lack of instruments I’m pleased with, set up consisted of turning it on & pressing the wps buttons on the printer & router then I was printing receipts off for the tax man to my hearts content :(

2 more bonuses were Argus gave me a £5 gift voucher as at £69.99 I’d spent more than £50 & HP who it appears makes the printer were offering £20 cash back which if it turns up in my bank will mean the printer has cost me £44.99 so all in all I’m well pleased :D
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 05 May 2019, 15:01

Rod wrote:My HP Laserjet 1200 must be over 20yrs old and it’s still going strong.
I see company’s are selling refurbished ones.

Rod

We've got one of those as well. Cracking printer.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 05 May 2019, 16:21

Rod wrote:My HP Laserjet 1200 must be over 20yrs old and it’s still going strong.

Rod

The problem with older laser printers was the amount of Ozone given off by them. Modern machines try to get this as near to zero as possible due to health concerns. Not so much of a problem if the machine is tucked away in another normally unoccupied room but not something you want sat on a desk next to you which is often the case.

http://www.lhc.org.uk/wp-content/upload ... inters.pdf
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat