It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 15:27

More Medieval Working of Wood

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

More Medieval Working of Wood

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Apr 2019, 22:04

Sit down with a glass of something and watch these guys replicate 13m rafters of the spire of an 800 year old church with nothing but hand tools. They calculated they could produce 8 rafters from one 13m trunk, thus saving material, labour and energy.

With subtitles

[youtube]BE2klxBE8QM[/youtube]
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Re: More Medieval Working of Wood

Postby Rod » 01 May 2019, 00:12

Nice video
I wonder if the medieval steel was as good?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 May 2019, 12:33

Brilliant.
Two questions.
1) I thought the bark is removed to lesson bug damage. How come there was non visible? Climate perhaps?

2) he mentioned that the sapwood was the strongest. I always thought sapwood was softer and weaker.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 01 May 2019, 12:45

Andyp wrote:Brilliant.
Two questions.
1) I thought the bark is removed to lesson bug damage. How come there was non visible? Climate perhaps?

2) he mentioned that the sapwood was the strongest. I always thought sapwood was softer and weaker.

I'm afraid I'll have to leave the answers to those far more knowledgeable than I.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodbloke » 02 May 2019, 16:51

Andyp wrote:Brilliant.
Two questions.

I haven't watched the vid, but the sapwood is where the tree grows and is usually full of....err, sap, going up to the leaves, so is usually much softer and wetter. The heartwood is much stronger as it's this that supports the tree as it grows - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 02 May 2019, 17:55

That's what I thought Rob. So I watched it again and at 20:28 he states the finished rafter "is strong since we made the most of the sapwood. The sapwood is stronger than the heartwood.."
The whole point of the experiment was to cut 8 rafters from one tree trunk leaving the bark and therefore sapwood intact.

I have to assume these guys are no amateurs and that the translation is correct.

Curious init?

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Malc2098 » 02 May 2019, 18:01

Yes.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 May 2019, 15:44

I found this when Googling, in a document from 1966 by the US Dept of Agriculture.

"In over 500,000 tests made by the Forest Products Laboratory on woods grown in the United States, no effect upon the mechanical properties of the wood due to its change from sapwood into heartwood has been found in most species.

The heartwood of oak, pine, and Douglas-fir, for example, is not intrinsically stronger than the sapwood, as has often been supposed to be the case; nor is the sapwood of hickory and ash intrinsically stronger than the heartwood, as is sometimes claimed in connection with handle stock."

Could just be that it's a widely held old view, or there could be more modern science, but if there is then it isn't widely written about from what my (admittedly not exhaustive) Googling has dug up.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 03 May 2019, 16:47

Interesting reading Mark. I did try and look for something similar. You obviously have more patience than I.

I

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 05 May 2019, 11:02

TrimTheKing wrote:I found this when Googling, in a document from 1966 by the US Dept of Agriculture.

Yebut that was over 50 years ago. Since then we've had a few wars, population explosion, sex, drugs and rock n'roll, climate change, Trump and Brexit :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 05 May 2019, 12:38

If you are still suffering from insomnia and want to read another paper on sapwood vs hardwood strengths in 3 different oak species try this:-

https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/166363

Very technical and detailed, here is a snippet of their conclusions..
Based on our research, the hypothesis that the mechanical properties of sapwood are inferior to those of heartwood was generally rejected.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 05 May 2019, 17:31

Andyp wrote:If you are still suffering from insomnia and want to read another paper on sapwood vs hardwood strengths in 3 different oak species try this:-

https://hrcak.srce.hr/file/166363

Very technical and detailed, here is a snippet of their conclusions..
Based on our research, the hypothesis that the mechanical properties of sapwood are inferior to those of heartwood was generally rejected.

Probably guaranteed to send me off for a solid eight hours Andy :D - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat