It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:27

IOS 13

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

IOS 13

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2019, 13:02

Or iPadOS as they’re now calling it.

It’s been out for a while so I thought it was safe to upgrade on my iPad Pro 10.5. Bad mistake. I lost all my contacts and they were not to be seen on my iCloud backup. Luckily they were backed up on a flash drive. I restored my contacts and they have now appeared on iCloud as well but my iPad won’t backup anything else. Safari is also very flaky in operation. Several restarts haven’t improved things. Another update appeared so I’ve installed that but things aren’t any better. My advice, stay on IOS 12 for the time being. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: IOS 13

Postby Andyp » 16 Oct 2019, 13:35

Thanks for the warning.

With system updates on any device I usually wait until there is something I want to do but cant until I upgrade.
I am also IT consultant to my 86 yr old father who is a little trigger happy with updates. I have told him to hold fire until at least my next visit.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Oct 2019, 14:07

Woodster wrote:Or iPadOS as they’re now calling it.

It’s been out for a while so I thought it was safe to upgrade on my iPad Pro 10.5. Bad mistake. I lost all my contacts and they were not to be seen on my iCloud backup. Luckily they were backed up on a flash drive. I restored my contacts and they have now appeared on iCloud as well but my iPad won’t backup anything else. Safari is also very flaky in operation. Several restarts haven’t improved things. Another update appeared so I’ve installed that but things aren’t any better. My advice, stay on IOS 12 for the time being. ;)

How bizarre; I updated my iPadPro to the latest Operating System (13.1.2) and everything's hunky doodly...must be that funny water you have in Dorset :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2019, 14:55

Rob, the latest version is 13.1.3. And it has bug fixes ... ;) Still hasn’t fixed mine though.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Oct 2019, 15:21

Not updated my iPad Pro to it yet, but my iPhones are both fine with it.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2019, 15:32

One thing the update did was to backup all my photos to iCloud. I have never selected this option myself because I’ve backed up all my photos to our iMac and also to a flash drive. I didn’t use iCloud because I knew I’d have to pay for extra storage. I’ve now deleted the iCloud photo backup and turned the option off on my iPad but it now won’t backup other stuff like Notes. :x Apple say I have 30 days to download my photos before they are permanently deleted from iCloud. I suspect that as I was near the limit iCloud won’t back anything up until the 30 days are up.

Safari has also been buggy so I’ve downloaded the Opera app.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2019, 17:39

I was pleased to see that ios13 will not run on my phone and in anycase I've only just done the leap from 9 to 12.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2019, 20:41

I like to keep reasonably up to date Bob because of improved security etc. It can also be a bit of a shock going up several versions of the OS! I have to say though I rarely seem to actually need the “improvements”! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Oct 2019, 21:07

Woodster wrote:I like to keep reasonably up to date Bob because of improved security etc. It can also be a bit of a shock going up several versions of the OS! I have to say though I rarely seem to actually need the “improvements”! :D

I really believe the "improved security" card is over played. If people are sensible about website use then there is minimal risk.
I'm still mainly using win xp machines that are connected online 24/7 with free protection packages and never caught a virus.
In my recent change from ios 9 to 12 I've actually lost some functionality! The change was forced by my bank who would not connect me with ios9.
As a general principle, I never go for the latest model, version etc I will always wait for the problems to be ironed out.
Still the world needs a few Woodsters to warn the rest of us of problems! :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodster » 16 Oct 2019, 23:27

I try not to be an (too) early adopter ... :D

One thing that’s getting on my nerves is Safari not loading web pages. If I quit the app and go back in the page will be there loaded properly. Have any of you set your server settings to manual and are you using Google’s DNS server? Just wondering if this might solve the problem?
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 16 Oct 2019, 23:50

13 is working fine on our iPhones
The only issue we had was finding “where’s my friends”

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 17 Oct 2019, 00:02

It seems that iOS 13 is not the same as iPadOS 13.

https://www.macworld.com/article/339986 ... stall.html
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat