It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:24

Alien Technology

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Alien Technology

Postby Woodster » 20 Oct 2019, 11:05

I’ve known for a long time that the space station is only a few hundred miles up. I figured that navigation satellites would need to be some distance further away for triangulation to work. I only just read the other day though that some of these satellites are up to 24,000 miles away! I still can’t see how this tiny little phone in my pocket can pick up a signal from up to four of these devices and all whilst I’m travelling along in a car.

I got a quote from someone today by email and as usual my iPad asked me if I’d like to add a new contact. The iPad stripped all the data out of the email and added a new contact with first name, surname, postal address, email address, landline and mobile phone number all in the correct fields. It’s done this sort of thing before but not with so many fields. It’s clever stuff.

So did something crash in the 1950’s in New Mexico? :lol:

We can do all this but we can’t do B***** :(
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Alien Technology

Postby RogerS » 20 Oct 2019, 11:55

Woodster wrote:I’ve known for a long time that the space station is only a few hundred miles up. I figured that navigation satellites would need to be some distance further away for triangulation to work. I only just read the other day though that some of these satellites are up to 24,000 miles away! .....

And many is the time I can't even make a bloody phone call ! :lol:
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Alien Technology

Postby 9fingers » 20 Oct 2019, 17:27

Picking up satellite signals is trivial as there are no obstacles in the way - its called line of sight propagation.

The signals arrive on earth only a dB or os over background noise but modern devices can work with these low levels.

2/3/4/5G Phone signals are a different kettle of fish (and frequencies) and are subject to physical barriers and reflections. Also your phone has to transmit back along the same path to the base station.

Thankfully GPS is recieve only so you don't talk back to the satellites.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat