It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 15:03

Anyone else having fun tonight

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Anyone else having fun tonight

Postby Andyp » 31 Oct 2019, 18:09

36441029-CCA9-48C1-960D-7D660DCD4763.jpeg
(596.65 KiB)
Last edited by Andyp on 31 Oct 2019, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rotated image
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Anyone else having fun tonight

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Oct 2019, 23:08

Yep went out trick or treating with the kids earlier and they both did punkins which they’ve put out on our gate posts (which nobody sees because we live down a country lane that nobody walks down!).

I didn’t have time this year but I’ll be back with something good next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Doug » 31 Oct 2019, 23:11

As fun as it gets, an early doors curry then several pints of Scarborough Sealord at my local, plus I missed all those f***ing trick or treaters
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2019, 09:25

Fun? Yeah, a TENS machine at full blast on my back, sitting a few minutes then standing a few minutes trying to concentrate through the pain on Brian Cox' latest offering......a whole heap of fun. :eusa-violin:
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Nov 2019, 09:55

I had to look that one up Mike. Is this a one off or regular routine?* Whichever I can only offer sympathies.

* I meant the TENs not Brian cox.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2019, 12:33

Andyp wrote:I had to look that one up Mike. Is this a one off or regular routine?* Whichever I can only offer sympathies.

My back goes into spasm once or twice a year, on average, and generally I use a TENS machine for a day or two when that happens. This is the worst episode by a country mile that I've had since my back first went about 15 years ago, and I've had the machine on full blast for 8 days now. Today is the first day when I've actually felt a little improvement. I've just walked (hobbled) out to my workshop, sat down on a saw horse, then turned around and come back in again.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 01 Nov 2019, 12:55

Mike G wrote:
Andyp wrote:I had to look that one up Mike. Is this a one off or regular routine?* Whichever I can only offer sympathies.

My back goes into spasm once or twice a year, on average, and generally I use a TENS machine for a day or two when that happens. This is the worst episode by a country mile that I've had since my back first went about 15 years ago, and I've had the machine on full blast for 8 days now. Today is the first day when I've actually felt a little improvement. I've just walked (hobbled) out to my workshop, sat down on a saw horse, then turned around and come back in again.
Have you ever seen a physio/sports massage person Mike ? Perhaps that could provide some relief?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2019, 14:50

I was hospitalised by one of the world's leading sports physiotherapists 12 or 15 years ago. If someone as qualified and experienced as him could make such a catastrophic cock-up, then I clearly couldn't ever trust my back in another physio's hands. I take medical advice now, but wouldn't allow any sort of physical intervention other than by a surgeon. I have had de-nervation treatment twice, and it was brilliant. The effect wears off, though, after 2 or 3 years, and they'll only do it routinely twice.

I hope yours is getting better.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Nov 2019, 15:29

Mike G wrote:I was hospitalised by one of the world's leading sports physiotherapists 12 or 15 years ago. If someone as qualified and experienced as him could make such a catastrophic cock-up, then I clearly couldn't ever trust my back in another physio's hands. I take medical advice now, but wouldn't allow any sort of physical intervention other than by a surgeon. I have had de-nervation treatment twice, and it was brilliant. The effect wears off, though, after 2 or 3 years, and they'll only do it routinely twice.

Blimey, Mike, I feel for you.

It does make you wonder though. When I had my second gliding accident (the first was NOT my fault), I fractured my back in two places but no-one at the hospital picked up on that :o Only discovered 20 years later when my excellent physio suggested an x-ray before she went 'full on' with the treatment. She had a sixth sense. I was fully recovered though by this time :D so the discovery was a tad academic.

Hope you get better soon.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Nov 2019, 16:58

Mike G wrote:My back goes into spasm once or twice a year, on average, and generally I use a TENS machine for a day or two when that happens. This is the worst episode by a country mile that I've had since my back first went about 15 years ago, and I've had the machine on full blast for 8 days now. Today is the first day when I've actually felt a little improvement. I've just walked (hobbled) out to my workshop, sat down on a saw horse, then turned around and come back in again.

That sounds bloody horrible Mike; hope you're better soon. Would the recent cycling expedition or hoiking great lumps of Bog Oak around exacerbated it? - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Coley » 01 Nov 2019, 17:00

Mike G wrote:I was hospitalised by one of the world's leading sports physiotherapists 12 or 15 years ago. If someone as qualified and experienced as him could make such a catastrophic cock-up, then I clearly couldn't ever trust my back in another physio's hands. I take medical advice now, but wouldn't allow any sort of physical intervention other than by a surgeon. I have had de-nervation treatment twice, and it was brilliant. The effect wears off, though, after 2 or 3 years, and they'll only do it routinely twice.

Crikey, that really doesn't sound good at all. It was your back spasm thing that made me wonder whether it could be made more comfortable by a massage. When I saw the physio for the first time she spotted two areas on my back that were 'in spasm' Back pain was back pain as far as I was concerned but she was able to relieve the two areas and now certain types of pain have almost vanished. I've just came back from the physio and she was pleasantly surprised when I gave her my mri results. Seems like it may have been money well spent after all as its helped pinpoint a couple problem areas and ruled out others.

It would be good if our bodies had the equivalent of car ecus. Pin point faults, replace reset and off we go again.

Best wishes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Coley
Sapling

Name:

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2019, 18:19

Woodbloke wrote:...... Would the recent cycling expedition or hoiking great lumps of Bog Oak around exacerbated it? - Rob

No, neither of those. This is long term deterioration....narrow dry discs, and dodgy facet joints. Now and again this traps a lump of flesh including some nerves when I make a wrong move. This time it was doing up my shoe laces. Previously, one incident was triggered by getting a piece of paper out of a drawer. However, I am fit, strong and flexible ordinarily. Being in good physical nick means this back is less of an issue than it would be if I was a lardy lump sitting down all day.......but when it hits, it can flatten me.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sammy.se » 01 Nov 2019, 19:17

Hope you feel better soon Mike. I've had relatively minor back muscle spasm problems, solved by a couple of days of diazapam, so I can only imagine the pain. Get well soon!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
sammy.se
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Woodster » 02 Nov 2019, 01:18

One of the best things for bad backs Mike are slip on shoes. ;) My wife had to put my socks on for me for a couple of days after an operation but putting on slip on shoes was no problem.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 04 Nov 2019, 22:48

Sympathy Mike, and understanding. I can barely shuffle when mine flares (L5/6) and getting out of bed can be 'pull to edge of bed, swing onto all fours, etc, etc'. Sneezing and coughing have to be performed braced across a doorframe, back one side, arms tensioned against t'other.
I have never found a painkiller with sufficent oomph to get relief, and TENS machines can - accidentally - affect continence nerves.. :eusa-whistle: just sayin'....What DOES work for me are the sciatica-relief exercises, gluteal stretches, knees up to chest and the like. Some of these can be performed sitting on a dining chair edge; with me, I get noticeable reduction in intensity in 24 hours, but it takes up to four days dogged practice to regain approximately painless 'granda steps' (one foot just past the other), about a week to be able to lift anything heavier than a bare dinner plate, yada yada.
What can also happen, as did with me, is that the subsidiary nerves, peroneal in my case, chime in and all-of-a-sudden, the pain is down the leg, through the knee to the ankle. Forkin' first class company on a long drive from 30 miles north of NewKastle (as they pronounce it) to Brizzel (same). Had serious issues getting out of the driving seat :oops:.

Good Luck! Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 05 Nov 2019, 06:55

For those of you who use TENS, not telling grandma etc, but I guess you do know that they are not all equal and that you can get 'hospital' grade versions that really pack a punch.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat