It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:58

TV bought from Amazon now faulty

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

TV bought from Amazon now faulty

Postby Robert » 12 Jan 2020, 17:50

Sometimes Amazon amaze me and this is one of those times.

I bought a LG OLED TV on 1st April 2017. It had just come out and was full price everywhere at £3000. Expensive but it did look special. I bought if from Amazon because with a mistyped search it found it for £2400 but you couldn't get it for that price with normal navigation of the site. Bit of luck so I bought it.

Fast forward to xmas this year and fellow viewers not partially red-green colour blind noticed faces looked a bit green. Testing the screen with plain colours showed a big middle area of red pixels not lighting up properly. On to Amazon for repair help.

They say talk to LG not our problem but if you have hassles come back to us. LG want test pictures emailed then eventually say out of warranty repair will be £200 - which gets a new screen. Back to Amazon and I say LG want £200 can you assist? Amazon CS say needs to be referred up - we'll get back to you.

Amazon come back and say they have added a gift card balance to my account. Wait for it...£1055.00!

Explanation on email is that the consumer rights act says TV should work for 6 years and as this one has a problem this is the amount they should credit based on April 2017 purchase.

Searching online this mode of failure is common with LG OLED and LG know all about it hence the subsidised repair cost. I also notice that Amazon no longer sell any LG OLED TVs so I'm guessing they are experienced with the failures too.

Back to LG tomorrow for engineer to come out and fit a new panel for £200.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: TV bought from Amazon now faulty

Postby Phil » 12 Jan 2020, 17:54

Robert, good ending for the problem.

Shows one needs to dig heels in! :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2020, 18:52

Cracking result especially if LG have cured the problem in the replacement screen.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2020, 19:19

Good result, Robert. Good to know about those screens and to avoid them.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MattS » 12 Jan 2020, 20:58

Well that is a good result!
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 12 Jan 2020, 23:37

What is also amazing is that this is all on my say so. No engineers reports or similar and as far as I know no direct contact between LG and Amazon.

I can only think they must have a policy in place for these TVs and are just waiting for the complaints to come.

I ask if they can help out with a £200 bill and they say here is £1055 credit as a goodwill gesture. They have my goodwill that is for sure.

Oh and here is the TV displaying a plain red screen
The dark areas are red pixels that have gone dim.

Hopefully there will be an 'after' to follow..
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2020, 06:14

How did you create the red screen ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 13 Jan 2020, 10:42

It is just playing a youtube video found with a search for lcd screen test.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby HappyHacker » 13 Jan 2020, 11:14

Many years ago before the inter web was invented I bought a large very heavy expensive Panasonic TV and a surround sound system. When I connected it there were two lines visible down each side of the picture and I complained to the retailer. They are the grid support wires they said there is nothing you can do about them. I said I can see the support wires if I look closely and the lines are not the support wires. I sent photos to them and to Panasonic. Panasonic said contact the retailer.

The retailer eventually sent an engineer who said they should not be there and arranged for set to be taken away and examined. The set was returned damaged, it was very heavy, and they said there are no lines on the screen and we want to charge you as there is no fault. Panasonic continued to say its not their problem.

After a year of letters and photos to all and sundry including the credit card company I found a local TV repair man who agreed to look at it and visited my house. Those lines should not be there he says, it's a fault, I will have to go away and have a think about it. He phones me later and asks is the surround sound connected? I say yes. He says it is a known fault with the earthing when the surround sound is connected, there is a kit available from Panasonic to fix it! The fault was known about and the repair kit available before I bought the set and when fitted resolved the problem.

I have never bought any Panasonic item since because of their crap customer service, and I never went near the retailer in Bolton again. I got no compensation for all the hours of my time I had wasted or for the cost of the engineer that fixed it.

So well done to Amazon and LG and the power of the interweb which increases the power of the consumer so much.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby RogerS » 13 Jan 2020, 12:28

Was that a plasma screen, Kevin? Some of the best TV pictures I've ever seen were on our Sony plasma.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby HappyHacker » 13 Jan 2020, 15:37

Roger,
Unfortunately it was a CRT hence the considerable weight to get a big screen. I did say it was many years ago :) Panasonic lost out on quite a few sales over the years but I doubt if my lack of purchases made any impact on their profit but it made me feel happier.

The new high definition LEDs look excellent but are out of my price range, I think they beat plasma which i agree was brilliant but power hungry. I will wait until the current latest new thing is old hat and cheap before changing. I have two LG LED TVs now so I hope neither of them is affected but they are both a few years old and probably an older technology and when they fail they will need replacing.
Kevin
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Robert » 20 Jan 2020, 16:36

So...
I paid LG the £200 and then was told they don't send a repair man, they collect and return.

So they arrange courier to pack in LG's packaging and take it away this morning.

Collection window comes and goes no courier. Check the tracking 'failed due to data error'. WTF.

Phone LG not a clue why.

Leave it a few hours try again. Still clueless.

Couriers site has a web chat window so I ask them. Turns out LG ordered a 1 man collection which for a cardboard box would be ok. LG sent the courier some heavy transit case not cardboard. Courier says that needs 2 men.

Courier says they can't tell LG....LG has to tell them. 4th call of the day to LG they will email courier and let me know new arrangement.

So not so smooth a solution so far.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 07 Feb 2020, 16:00

It took a full week to get the collection rearranged but it was collected and it came back yesterday with new panel fitted.

I had the plug cut off as I had extended the cable for wall mounting and they fitted a new mains lead so I had to cut the plug off again. Also had the full new TV setup thing to do.

looks like a new TV now too. Red screen is evenly red all over. faces don't look greenish any more so I'm told as i couldn't see that. I'm partially red green colour blind but even I can see the difference now.

Came back in the same large crate on wheels that caused the delay. Funny thing is one person could deliver it but the wait was because 2 people were needed to collect using that case. I just helped the driver manhandle it into the hall.

No idea if they have changed anything to stop reoccurrence of red pixel failure but it looks good for now at least.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 07 Feb 2020, 16:41

Glad you got it all sorted out in the end, Robert. Fingers crossed for you that it lasts.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 Feb 2020, 16:56

Did you have a spare to watch when faulty one was sent back.

I am currently having an online conversation with Samsung as to why my TV has stopped picking up over the air TV (French or course). We don't watch it much and I can watch all the free to air channels via an internet smart app when required and as we do not have a spare I do not want this one to go back for repair.

If they cant sort out remotely ( TV has remote management via interweb) then I will leave it as is.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 07 Feb 2020, 17:41

Yes we did have a spare. I have a harmony ultimate remote that does all the ons/offs input changing etc. (surround sound is via an AV amplifier which also switches inputs). And didn't want to reprogram it for the spare so was a bit of messing about with remotes but otherwise no big problem.

Assume you have tested your signal from the aerial is still ok? Could be a corroded wire join or something. Tv set to the right region....
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 07 Feb 2020, 17:54

Thanks Robert,
Without a spare TV it is impossible to test the aerial. We have been through all the resets, re-tunes and have borrowed an indoor aerial which we know works locally without success.
The visible parts of the aerial cable look fine, but most of it is buried within the walls. I am not keen for anyone to go clambering around on the roof either.

I am hoping it is a software fault and can be solved via the remote management if not then we will have to rely on tv app via the internet.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat