It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:21

Why are some phone pictures so duff ?

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Why are some phone pictures so duff ?

Postby RogerS » 16 Jan 2020, 13:33

This one, for instance ?

Is it because the focus is struggling sometimes depending on what's in the picture composition ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Why are some phone pictures so duff ?

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2020, 15:36

Could be the focus having trouble working out just what to focus on or the jpg algorithm making it worse as it tries to compress it. I doubt if you have a raw option but if you have you can see what it is trying to work with.
Not all phone cameras are born equal.
I have a friend who has been sending me pictures of official documents etc and they have been very poor - quite likely to have a budget phone.
In contrast one of my new tenants has sent superb photos of driving licence, passport and marriage certificate but he uses an iphone I think.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 16 Jan 2020, 15:43

There's a lot of different lines and directions in that photo so I imagine the auto focus struggled.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 16 Jan 2020, 16:32

Impatience. Pressing the button before the phone has had time to focus, perhaps.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 16 Jan 2020, 17:03

Andyp wrote:Impatience. Pressing the button before the phone has had time to focus, perhaps.

Good idea but I did wait. I think !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 16 Jan 2020, 17:30

RogerS wrote:
Andyp wrote:Impatience. Pressing the button before the phone has had time to focus, perhaps.

Good idea but I did wait. I think !

If my iphone is having to work hard at focussing, it will let you press the button at any stage but not take the photo until it is happy with the focus. This means of course that I have to hold the phone still until the shutter noise ocurrs.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Jimmy Mack » 16 Jan 2020, 22:44

PU glue on the lens....

They're pretty awful in low light... Small lens and compact camera sensor I suspect.

Sometimes it's worth playing with the manual focus, ISO and WB settings... not helpful when you want to point and shoot.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk
Jimmy Mack
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 16 Jan 2020, 23:35

It may not have focussed but according to what I see on flickr the biggest difference to pictures in your other posts is the ISO speed.

This blurry one is 640 ISO whereas most previously were 160 ISO. I have a S7 edge and with the camera in 'pro' mode the ISO limit is 800 so 640 is near to as high as it can go. flickr says you are using a S7.

The auto setting will smooth out the noise you get from higher ISO so there are no speckles and therefore no texture or fine detail where there should be.

That said it does look worse that I'd expect.

Main fix is more light. Other thing to try if sticking to auto is to touch the screen where there is something with a good contrast like an edge. It will then show a circle at that position and will focus and measure exposure there only.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 16 Jan 2020, 23:38

Robert wrote:It may not have focussed but according to what I see on flickr the biggest difference to pictures in your other posts is the ISO speed.

This blurry one is 640 ISO whereas most previously were 160 ISO. I have a S7 edge and with the camera in 'pro' mode the ISO limit is 800 so 640 is near to as high as it can go. flickr says you are using a S7.

The auto setting will smooth out the noise you get from higher ISO so there are no speckles and therefore no texture or fine detail where there should be.

That said it does look worse that I'd expect.

Main fix is more light. Other thing to try if sticking to auto is to touch the screen where there is something with a good contrast like an edge. It will then show a circle at that position and will focus and measure exposure there only.

Thanks Robert.....I think I need to get the manual out as I just point and click. You've given me some good pointers to pursue, thanks. I guess I must be in Auto mode.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 16 Jan 2020, 23:47

More light is the best option along with checking the lens for finger marks ;)

Do try the touching the screen thing. I use auto nearly all the time and often touch the screen to guide focus.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat