It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:17

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2020, 16:20

We finally managed to get on Waitrose’s and Sainsbury’s “Elderly” lists but still haven’t been able to get any slots.

I got a MRI booked for Wednesday which so far has not been called off. The hospital has rearranged all the car parking as normal visitation is not allowed. I have to attend the scan by myself and my wife will have to wait in the car.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 30 Mar 2020, 16:32

Just looked at ASDA slots online. They are only releasing them up to 2 weeks ahead and both delivery and Click&collect are all allocated. I presume it is a case of fastest finger first when the next day slots are released.

I intend to shop in person on Wednesday.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2020, 17:46

Rod wrote:We finally managed to get on Waitrose’s and Sainsbury’s “Elderly” lists but still haven’t been able to get any slots.

I got a MRI booked for Wednesday which so far has not been called off. The hospital has rearranged all the car parking as normal visitation is not allowed. I have to attend the scan by myself and my wife will have to wait in the car.

Rod

Rod...how did you get on to the list ? Did they contact you or vice versa?

And is there a different URL to log into ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 30 Mar 2020, 19:01

[quote]You're not alone. Listening to various bits and pieces, I don't think anyone can get a slot - with anyone and anywhen.[/quote

Exactly Roger. My point was not to whine; we're better off than many, but rather to draw attention to the sloth of organisations (public and commercial) with undeniablely massively powerful computing capacities. What in Hades is the problem?
I do not accept - in this day and age - that computer systems "cannot talk to each other". Emulation programs have been on go sincevthe early 80's.
This is also an issue supremely suited to 'working from home' keyboard warriors - and there cannot be any shortage of them!!
Prioritisation is of course the elephant in the room: C.O.P.D. single mother with two kids gets more 'points' than a kidney transplant with a partner? This may be the sticking point, but I cannot believe that this has not already been addressed and drafted by a civil servant or hospital administrator somewhere.
Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2020, 19:40

Roger, we finally found a phone number which put us through a question and answer session using the phone’s keyboard. Basically ascertaining we were over 70.
It finished saying they would get back to us in two or three days.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2020, 20:34

Rod wrote:Roger, we finally found a phone number which put us through a question and answer session using the phone’s keyboard. Basically ascertaining we were over 70.
It finished saying they would get back to us in two or three days.

Rod

Do you have that number please ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 30 Mar 2020, 22:56

Sainsbury’s number is 08009534988

My wife did Waitrose and cannot find it!!

If your desperate, M&S are selling food boxes £35 plus £3 delivery on marksandSpencer.com/l/gifts/food-boxes

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2020, 23:50

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:
You're not alone. Listening to various bits and pieces, I don't think anyone can get a slot - with anyone and anywhen.[/quote

Exactly Roger. My point was not to whine; we're better off than many, but rather to draw attention to the sloth of organisations (public and commercial) with undeniablely massively powerful computing capacities. What in Hades is the problem?
I do not accept - in this day and age - that computer systems "cannot talk to each other". Emulation programs have been on go sincevthe early 80's.
This is also an issue supremely suited to 'working from home' keyboard warriors - and there cannot be any shortage of them!!
Prioritisation is of course the elephant in the room: C.O.P.D. single mother with two kids gets more 'points' than a kidney transplant with a partner? This may be the sticking point, but I cannot believe that this has not already been addressed and drafted by a civil servant or hospital administrator somewhere.
Sam

Sam..I understand where you are coming from but I assure you that, from a lifelong background in IT, it's not just a simple case of flicking a few switches.

You also touch on the moral dilemma. Let me suggest this to you. There is a triage system in place. If we are the lucky ones when we get C-19 then, like Mike, within a few days we recover. That is Stage 1.

If we're those who do not manage to use our own bodily defences to fight it off then we will go to hospital.

You will go into a ward. That is Stage 2. You will be given oxygen - via a nasal clip. You are now into the 'numbers' game. How many of you are there requiring treatment at that particular time? If you deteriorate then, if you are lucky and the equipment is available, you will get a full-face mask to keep pushing oxygen into your lungs.

Now you enter the race. Stage 3. If that mask doesn't seem to be having much effect then do you go to Intensive Care with a ventilator or are you left to fend for yourself ...sink or swim. That is where the moral dilemma for the doctors on the ward come in. Do I send A or B through to ICU ? Your point about the COPD mother....

So to all the cretins out there thinking they will have a BBQ with friends. I don't really wish you well.

So to all the cretins out there who shrug their shoulders and say 'Well...flu kills much more ' ...missing the point.

Fingers crossed for all the rest of you.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2020, 06:56

Just had a thought, Sam. I'm sure you're already aware but supermarkets have early morning reserved slots for the elderly, the vulnerable and those looking after them and NHS staff. Also some..Sainsbury's and Waitrose are planning to have reserved online slots for the same grouping.

BTW...the term to search for if anyone wants to know more about the ethics and approaches is 'Ceiling of Treatment'.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 31 Mar 2020, 10:05

Roger, thank you for the thoughtful - and thought-provoking - reply; I appreciate measured, informed answers. I defer to your point: " I assure you that, from a lifelong background in IT, it's not just a simple case of flicking a few switches.".

What sticks in my craw I suppose, is the gulf between daily televised assertions from what MikeG calls "the idiocracy" and reality. It is now 11 days since we were told a grocer/government interface would result in a "vulnerable...shielding" group, that would be helped to get essentials. It hasn't happened. It's a victory of repetitious rhetoric over reality. Some people call it propaganda. StevieB wrote earlier in this thread:

"Makes it look as if we are doing all we can to the public though, never forget the 'political' element behind any response - why do you think Boris is flanked by Scientific advisers at his daily briefings? It gives his words legitimacy."

On the first page of that scanned letter (dated 21/3/2020.) above, first page, third last line: "do not leave your home"

last line: "do not go out for shopping". Eleven days on...the promised help is...where????

One of my original points was that someone, somewhere, resembling Pooh Bear, considered it more important to tie up postmen et al delivering a physical piece of paper (with a 'free' viral load?) at a not-insignificant cost, rather than put time, effort and spondulicks into substantiating the action behind a 'feel-good' piece of agitprop. Why?

Secondly, this establishment (I'm trying HARD not to ascribe party political blame) and its organs of state have been spectacularly slow to evaluate, initiate and carry-through on necessary action with this virus its fall-out throughout the emergency. This débacle over getting frightened, low-resourced people fed and cared for...when actually not doing so, is just another symptom of their inertia and dithering.

Roger, you posted an item on 20/3 where you quoted Jake at length and you signed off:

I have never seen a worse bit of governance.

Staggered...is all I can say

I respectfully submit, you were right...but lacked the right degree of emphasis.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2020, 10:29

I went to bed last night seriously worried that my wife might end up in hospital before morning. After seemingly throwing off the bug in 4 or 5 days, and having 2 days apparently 100%, she took a real turn for the worse 3 days ago, with a raging temperature, overwhelming lethargy, and some signs of neuralgia. She was at day 8 of her illness yesterday, and that's around the time people end up with pneumonia. To my huge relief, she is much better this morning, and the fever has gone altogether.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 31 Mar 2020, 10:43

Just had a thought, Sam. I'm sure you're already aware but supermarkets have early morning reserved slots for the elderly, the vulnerable and those looking after them and NHS staff. Also some..Sainsbury's and Waitrose are planning to have reserved online slots for the same grouping.

Thank you a second time Roger; we were aware of this and have a Sainsbury's local to us - you know where! :D Here, on "The Sunset Strip", that was meaningless on the first Thursday it happened with Joe Public of all ages piling in. Secondly, for some obscure reason, this particular outlet remains picked bare - according to my lovely neighbours and son.

I/we are in a relatively good place; we have less to be worried about than many. My fulmination above is simply to try to speak up for the said "many", especially those with few resources and point out the yawning chasm between bland televised assertions and their own here-and-now, 11 days into whatever they had on the shelves before 'lockdown'.

Sam

Edit: Our posts overlapped; Great news Mike, long may it continue. S.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 31 Mar 2020, 11:00

Great news, Mike
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 31 Mar 2020, 11:30

Lets hope the pair of you are building up some resistance too.

Over here the French have learned how to queue :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2020, 11:34

Yes good news Mike

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 31 Mar 2020, 12:25

Andyp wrote:......Over here the French have learned how to queue.....

So, a few centuries behind us. No surprise there. :)
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Mar 2020, 13:29

Well, my wife braved the streets of Hexham today and told me that the atmosphere out there was much worse than last week. Streets full of knuckle-dragging low-life scum (male) who had no concept of social-distancing and if she went out of her way to avoid them, they glowered at her as they assumed that she thought that they were infected. Maybe because she does dress rather smartly for up here...maybe that chip on their shoulder has got bigger.

Waitrose had replaced their two security people that they had last week with two from the next grade up on the 'hardness and lack of politesse' scale. The staff managing the queue to enter were very good and letting any elderly jump to the front of the queue. Also those with a Waitrose card for the 'zapper' could go in ahead of the hoi-polloi. But still an awful lot of people with zero knowledge of what 2m actually looks like.

So we're hoping that this online stuff gets sorted but not optimistic.

I'm also keeping an eye open for when the anti-body tests become available to Joe Public (after NHS staff etc obviously). The reason is that she went down to London when it was all starting to kick off and when she got back was laid low for about a week. None of the fever/cough though but then again those two symptoms are not present in all cases. So if we can get hold of a test and she proves that she's already had it then that would be a huge relief.

Lastly..not sure if I've mentioned this and it certainly would have helped Mike G decide on the best course of action vis a vis his wife and that is to get yourself a pulse oximeter. It's the gizmo that slips over the finger tip and measures the level of oxygen in your blood. If you're feeling really, really rough and the oxygen level is heading below 92% ...well, that's the time to call for help.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2020, 14:55

The CAMRA award winning pub in the next village was vandalised yesterday - it had its windows smashed.
Bored vandals already??

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Phil » 31 Mar 2020, 19:00

Mike, glad you are on the mend, look after the 'boss', let her ring the little bell 20 times a day. :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2020, 08:18

LOML heard a very interesting but very sombre piece of information on the radio late last night.

Some of you may well be thinking that 'I don't want to go to hospital. Chances are there will be no space. I've had a good life. Time to go. That sort of thing. I'll die quietly at home'.

You will NOT. IT is a very, very bad way to die and because you haven't gone to hospital you've put yourself now outside of any chance of getting palliative care.

Stay safe.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Apr 2020, 10:41

My builder has an order with Jewsons for some underfloor heating 5.5mm covering ply.
They were supposed to deliver last week but failed, they’ve now stopped all deliveries nationwide.
Now trying to source other suppliers as the ply was the last remaining order, all other materials on site (the garage).

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2020, 10:56

I'm wondering if the manufacturers have stopped production. Must ask the missus if the Egger plant was working when she went to Hexham yesterday.

Regarding Waitrose deliveries...I have a nasty sneaking feeling that they have reallocated delivery vans from our area (and possibly Sam's) elsewhere. Normally when we shop there are 3 or 4 partners going around with the trolleys collecting stuff for online deliveries. Also quite often site of the delivery van. This time - neither were in evidence - hence my suspicion.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 01 Apr 2020, 11:30

RogerS wrote:Just had a thought, Sam. I'm sure you're already aware but supermarkets have early morning reserved slots for the elderly, the vulnerable and those looking after them and NHS staff. Also some..Sainsbury's and Waitrose are planning to have reserved online slots for the same grouping.

I went to Waitrose this morning and arrived at 7.20. No issues getting into the store and I had to queue for ten minutes; downside was that it was bloody freezing! The shop was well stocked with all the usual stuff but there were a lot of gaps on the shelves. No 'Le Mans start' for the toilet rolls either - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2020, 16:31

Rod wrote:My builder has an order with Jewsons for some underfloor heating 5.5mm covering ply.
They were supposed to deliver last week but failed, they’ve now stopped all deliveries nationwide.
Now trying to source other suppliers as the ply was the last remaining order, all other materials on site (the garage).

Rod

I've got bad news for you, Rod. Egger have shut down their plant in Hexham. Now they don't make plywood as far as I can see but if they've shut down then every reason to guess that other plants have shut down as well. I was after some 18mm plywood but can't get any of that. I'm down for a delivery of 9mm ply on April 15 but fully expect it not to arrive.

Your builder might just get lucky and track some down but it's going to be tight.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 01 Apr 2020, 16:33

Sam, we've given up trying for a slot at the Hexham Waitrose. I really do think that they've relocated the vans elsewhere. Sainsbury's have frozen new registrations.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat