It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:07

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby RogerS » 15 Apr 2021, 13:50

Gill wrote:
RogerS wrote:mmm...music festivals. Does that also include the Proms? :eusa-whistle:

Not if there's a pianist in the orchestra. :eusa-whistle: ;) Opera singers might be a bit risky, though.

Naturally :D

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Apr 2021, 15:08

RogerS wrote:
MJ80 wrote:
The way our govt is mis-managing this beggars belief.

I know you are referring just to the lockdown easing but for a comparison of govts and level of mis-management I know where I would rather be right now.

96BC9AAC-636B-49BF-AC7F-C24D46377028.jpeg
(345.45 KiB)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Apr 2021, 16:11

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:
MJ80 wrote:

I know you are referring just to the lockdown easing but for a comparison of govts and level of mis-management I know where I would rather be right now.

In my view, HMG have handled this no worse or any better than many other comparable Western countries with the exception of NZ and the Aussies who jumped on it with commendable speed. Sure, they made some appalling mistakes early on, but so did many others. The whole episode has been one of a continuous 'learning curve' from the 'get go' :twisted: and whilst it's easy to throw the blame at the door of HMG, the one thing they got absolutely bang on was the procurement of sufficient vaccine supply.

There will almost certainly be a third wave but quite how far the vaccine roll out mitigates it remains to be seen; I suspect that it will be significant, but nowhere near (fingers crossed) as devastating as just after Christmas. HMG have said that they don't want, of necessity, to go into another lockdown but I fear that at some point later on this year it's going to happen - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Apr 2021, 16:41

Woodbloke wrote:
Andyp wrote:

In my view, HMG have handled this no worse or any better than many other comparable Western countries with the exception of NZ and the Aussies who jumped on it with commendable speed. Sure, they made some appalling mistakes early on, but so did many others. The whole episode has been one of a continuous 'learning curve' from the 'get go' :twisted: and whilst it's easy to throw the blame at the door of HMG, the one thing they got absolutely bang on was the procurement of sufficient vaccine supply.

There will almost certainly be a third wave but quite how far the vaccine roll out mitigates it remains to be seen; I suspect that it will be significant, but nowhere near (fingers crossed) as devastating as just after Christmas. HMG have said that they don't want, of necessity, to go into another lockdown but I fear that at some point later on this year it's going to happen - Rob

It certainly will happen and could have been prevented or mitigated by a much more subtler easing along the lines I suggested.

I do agree about the vaccine and fortunately Hancock had little to do with it.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Apr 2021, 16:46

Gill wrote:
RogerS wrote:mmm...music festivals. Does that also include the Proms? :eusa-whistle:

....Opera singers might be a bit risky, though.

I think I see where you're coming from...as in spraying droplets...but my immediate thought was regarding the calibre of today's opera singers compared to 'The Golden Age'.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MJ80 » 15 Apr 2021, 17:23

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:
MJ80 wrote:

I'm over in Germany Andy, its going to pot here. Each State (Lander) has been more or less able to set their own rules as far as I understand, this futher trickles down to the counties and local councils. The Lander are too busy fighting about the principle of central control (God forbid the 1930's) with the governament to be effective. Hence Merkels climbdown over the Easter lockdown and her basicially telling the Lander if they are so clever then sort it out. I do hope they manage to get the legislation through for a common policy.
The confusion is palpable, some shops are open with an appointment and a negative test from the same day, but it changes area to area on a daily basis. My son's football team got permission to train again somehow before Easter, but they seem to not be bothered the infection rate is going to go crazy again in our county and continue to want to do training. I have pulled him for the time being, he's 14 but I'm so thankful he sees the big picture and not only supports us but also with why. We also have the problem of (and I in no way mean to offend anyone) communities of ceiling scratchers in the small towns dotted around, who refuse to stop meeting up. The incidence rate in one place about 10K away was over 800 because of one of these congregations. There a 4 clusters from the same cause (but lets not forget they are mutually antagonistic congregations following different paths) around us. I know we are largely spread out and there is loads of space so many people haven't been as affected as the UK really doesn't help with the bewlidering attitude of some folk. Our number of aquaintances has declined over the past year, the lack of solidarity shown by some people is staggering.
MJ80
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Apr 2021, 17:56

Wow! You have my deepest sympathy. Anywhere that has a federal type system is doomed from the start when you get something like a pandemic.

I like the phrase 'ceiling scratchers'...had to work that one out. Google is no help. Is it the English translation of a German 'handle' ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 16 Apr 2021, 10:48

[quote="MJ80] the lack of solidarity shown by some people is staggering.[/quote]

We sometimes look at different countries and assign stereotypes to national characteristics. Some of these have come true during this pandemic.
Our cleaner told us yesterday how much she enjoyed a pre-covid trip to London. How polite people were, how orderly when queuing and how staggered she was when she someone offering up their seat on the tube to an elderly lady. Things she maintained she would never see here.
A nurse in the hospital I was in a few weeks told me that the first thing a frenchman will say is “no”. Which has been, in some cases, their attitude towards vaccinations. I believe their is a protest gene deep within the French DNA. Whatever the authorities suggest will be met by protest and not uniquely from the extremists.

One of the physicians who treated recently me also suggested that Macron put the economy and potential social unrest before saving lives. Opening up the country during the half term holidays rather than lockdown is generally seen as a mistake but kowtowing to the Parisian vote.
Last edited by Andyp on 16 Apr 2021, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited poor english.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Woodbloke » 16 Apr 2021, 12:00

Andyp wrote:... offering up their seat on the tube to an elderly lady. Things she maintained she would never see here..

I knew I was getting into 'old fartery' a few years ago when a very comely young lady offered me her seat on a London bus :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2021, 08:37

We have both registered on the Gov Portal to get the shot somewhere in the future :shock:
I received an SMS confirming the registration about 2 minutes after logging out. Not too shabby a system!

I also registered us on the Discovery medical aid C-19 portal, who will track what is happening and then communicate with us.

Discovery also advised us to have flu shots now which would be at least 3 weeks before C-19, wife will find out about stock from pharmacy.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2021, 08:43

Phil wrote:We have both registered on the Gov Portal to get the shot somewhere in the future :shock:
I received an SMS confirming the registration about 2 minutes after logging out. Not too shabby a system!

Do you know which vaccine you'll be getting ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2021, 10:51

Roger, no idea at this stage.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

Phil
Old Oak

Postby TrimTheKing » 26 Apr 2021, 10:55

I'm finally eligible so am booked in for jab 1 on May 3rd and jab 2 July 22nd.

Completed the form and got instant text & email confirmations before I'd even closed down the web page. Don't know what vaccine I'll be getting and don't really care.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 26 Apr 2021, 11:29

Looks like it could be J&J

Phil
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 26 Apr 2021, 12:36

TrimTheKing wrote:I'm finally eligible so am booked in for jab 1 on May 3rd and jab 2 July 22nd.

Completed the form and got instant text & email confirmations before I'd even closed down the web page. Don't know what vaccine I'll be getting and don't really care.

still to young. just.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby wallace » 26 Apr 2021, 12:50

Any one had the vaccine yet, I just qualified and booked it. I had it on sunday morning and by 8 that night felt horrible. Like the worst flu times 2, every joint was very painful and bad head. That was the oxford vaccine.
My sister had it a couple of months ago because she has a nasty autoimmune disease. She had an extreme immune response which nearly killed her.
wallace
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 26 Apr 2021, 12:54

I have had one shot of the AZ / Oxford vaccine. No sore arm, but high temperature and wakefulness with mind racing for 2 nights after. Covid itself sounds a lot worse.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby RogerS » 26 Apr 2021, 12:56

wallace wrote:Any one had the vaccine yet, I just qualified and booked it. I had it on sunday morning and by 8 that night felt horrible. Like the worst flu times 2, every joint was very painful and bad head. That was the oxford vaccine.
My sister had it a couple of months ago because she has a nasty autoimmune disease. She had an extreme immune response which nearly killed her.

Sorry to hear you both had such bad reactions. I think you will find that quite a lot of us have had the jab...some of us have had both and some of us (well, one of us at least :eusa-whistle: ) have had both but don't know what the second one was.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Chris101 » 26 Apr 2021, 13:11

Hope you feel better soon Wallace.
For the record so to speak, I had mine last weds.at midday. No effect all day. Next day I woke up with a sore arm and mild flu like symptoms. Aching joints, tiredness, slight upset stomach. I went into work and picked kids up etc as normal. second day 'dead arm' only.
I was asymptomatic when I had covid so ironically for me at least, as Francis Bacon (vaguely) said, the remedy was worse than the disease.
Chris101
Sapling

Name:

Postby MY63 » 26 Apr 2021, 15:05

I am pleased to say I had my second vaccination yesterday Astra Zenica. I have no reactions so far, bearing in mind I developed full blown coronavirus within 5 days of my first jab I cant be sure what was virus and what was vaccine.
My wife and I have continued to improve although the doctors believe we both have long covid.
If anyone has a chance to get vaccinated please take it. I know some people do not have any symptoms but I dont think it is worth the risk.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Lons » 27 Apr 2021, 21:33

My wife gets her second Phizer jab tomorrow, I had to fight to get them to swap my appointment to her as she is more important at the minute, I hope she doesn't get a bad reaction as I know several people now who did, whatever though it's far far better than the virus.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2021, 21:42

I've just had to cancel my second jab. :shock:
I found out on Monday that I have to have a minor procedure involving a general anaesthetic soon and they said there has to be 14 days gap before/after a Covid jab.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby Lons » 27 Apr 2021, 22:15

That's why I needed to swap my wife's Bob as we're supposed to self isolate from this Thursday however we've now had to postpone her foot operation as she has another issue and has to go to hospital next week. A real pita. No surgery just a clinic so getting the jab isn't an issue.
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 27 Apr 2021, 22:27

Its a bit similar here really. Mrs has to go to Oddstock tomorrow for a pre op covid test and back there for maxillofacial reconstruction on Friday. I have a similar pattern next week with covid test wednesday and biopsy surgery on Saturday .
They said I have to self isolate after my test but still allowed to take mrs to any medical appointments if needed.
Its all go!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest

Postby novocaine » 28 Apr 2021, 07:38

I have to say that I'm loving how this thread has gone from it's getting closer or I've got COVID to I'm getting my jab. in 1000 years time cyber archaeologists will be pawing over this thread for a time line, and they will still find a series of small trenches.
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat