It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 10:11

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

It’s getting closer

Postby Andyp » 12 Mar 2020, 16:59

Someone on the same floor (at work) as my SIL has tested positive. We are in Paris overnight. Aforementioned SIL is childminding. I’ve told her to deep clean the house before we return :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby Mike G » 12 Mar 2020, 17:06

If I told my SIL to deep clean my house, catching coronavirus would be preferable to the fate that would befall me. :lol:

My wife is a teacher, and she's always bringing illnesses home from school. I suspect we'll be early in the queue for this new bug.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 13 Mar 2020, 17:42

A school nearby has a case. My Granddaughters don’t attend there but do for orchestra and ensemble rehearsals so I don’t think they will attending for a while?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Doug » 13 Mar 2020, 20:41

My niece has come home from university after having a raised temperature & cold like symptoms not surprising when you’re mixing with students from all over the globe.
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 13 Mar 2020, 21:01

My wife is a teacher, and she's always bringing illnesses home from school. I suspect we'll be early in the queue for this new bug.

So was I, Mike; my family were likewise 'donated' all the 'pluchers' and 'snivvels' that 3E2 and 5SV thoughtfully insisted on bringing to a very enclosed, humid(!!) space, where aerosol didtribution was unavoidable.
Mind you, my bigger lad commented after the immunology course of his Chemistry degree:

"Dad, the stones on our family's antibodies must be like the Rock of Gibraltar"...hmm, re-phrasing genteely, any teacher's spouse or offspring must have well-practiced immune systems. So chill Mike! You are probably, statistically probably, more 'sensitised' and have more generic immunoglobulins than, say, a cubicle-based paper chaser....with all due respect to same.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 13 Mar 2020, 22:43

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:

So was I, Mike; my family were likewise 'donated' all the 'pluchers' and 'snivvels' that 3E2 and 5SV thoughtfully insisted on bringing to a very enclosed, humid(!!) space, where aerosol didtribution was unavoidable.
Mind you, my bigger lad commented after the immunology course of his Chemistry degree:

"Dad, the stones on our family's antibodies must be like the Rock of Gibraltar"...hmm, re-phrasing genteely, any teacher's spouse or offspring must have well-practiced immune systems. So chill Mike! You are probably, statistically probably, more 'sensitised' and have more generic immunoglobulins than, say, a cubicle-based paper chaser....with all due respect to same.

Sam

I keep telling my wife I'm beefing up her immune system with my lack of hygiene.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 13 Mar 2020, 23:46

I couldn't possibly comment Roger! The image conjured up! :D

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 07:42

"Hello? 111 ? I'm at home and having breathing difficulties. How old am I ? 71?"

Click......dial-tone

Looks like to be the way it's going.

Two words, Boris......"Up Yours"

Especially if, as I read in one article the enforced imprisonment of over-70's will include those with pre-existing medical conditions.

"You need ongoing chemo treatment ? Sorry, Bud, Boris says "Tough"
"You need ongoing dialysis treatment ? Sorry Bud, Boris says 'Stay home and die'

Thank you Chinese Government. Had you listened to that doctor instead of threatening to arrest him then perhaps we might not be in such dire straits.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 15 Mar 2020, 10:10

Had a 'required by the FCA' letter from my pension fund telling me it has lost more than 10% in value due to the market crashing. Not going to panic as it will come back eventually..I hope.

Also thinking maybe I should cancel sky sports seeing as there is no sport.

Feels a bit like a zombie apocalypse with all the panic buying in the supermarkets. No tinned food, hardly any cold medicines, and what's with the dried pasta and toilet rolls causing near fights in the aisles. Sainsburys couldn't fill the shelves fast enough. I got the last bars of soap so that should keep the zombies away.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 15 Mar 2020, 10:57

My wife heard a story from a friend that an ASDA shelf stacker got fed up by customers snatching packs of loo rolls from him before he could put them on the shelf and resealed his cage of goods and went back into the warehouse! :lol:

I went on my normal weekly shop this week and found most things quite normal. Virtually no pasta but loo rolls were there ok.
I felt slightly self conscious at buying a pack but we were down to 5 rolls and I gave a friend two of those as she was half way through her last roll. Most shoppers seemed to have at least one pack in their trollies.

Spotted this on Farcebook earlier today.

loorolls.jpg
(40.42 KiB)

Can't decide our best course of action.
Our household contains two "vulnerable" adults in mid 60s and 1 university student currently still attending lectures 1 day per week.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 11:12

9fingers wrote:....
Our household contains two "vulnerable" adults in mid 60s and 1 university student currently still attending lectures 1 day per week.

Bob

That's an easy one You two stay at home. He has a tent outside. Simples.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Mar 2020, 12:06

Plenty of loo roll on the shelves here.... Make me an offer.... :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 12:18

All this Covid stuff had almost made me forget just how utterly dire Vodafone is in every respect.

Wasting over two hours of my life trying to buy a PAYG dongle puts Covid-19 into perspective...a minor irritation in life compared to dealing with Vodafone.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Mar 2020, 12:50

RogerS wrote:All this Covid stuff had almost made me forget just how utterly dire Vodafone is in every respect.

Wasting over two hours of my life trying to buy a PAYG dongle puts Covid-19 into perspective...a minor irritation in life compared to dealing with Vodafone.

Roger, I don't know how but you do seem to have a gift for getting poor customer service with so many organisations! :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 12:54

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote:All this Covid stuff had almost made me forget just how utterly dire Vodafone is in every respect.

Roger, I don't know how but you do seem to have a gift for getting poor customer service with so many organisations! :lol:

Bob

Probably because I choose crap companies! I did read about the dire customer service at Vodafone before I joined up. I should have listened to that advice.

But equally I also get great customer service from many others. Hector Finch. MLAccessories. For example.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 15 Mar 2020, 13:07

Maybe (and quite naturally) we only rant about poor service.

I went with Ntl/virgin years ago knowing the customer service was poor but also that the technical offering was pretty good and so I rarely need to approach CS.
A couple of outages recently though has reminded me that they have not improved!

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 15 Mar 2020, 15:05

We went shopping on Thursday and everything we needed was available apart from toilet rolls.
We still have a few and as there’s only one in the house using them, it’s not a concern yet.

I’ve been with Vodafone for years and never had any problems with them except once when they would not let me take up a broadband offer as I was “an existing user”.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 15 Mar 2020, 15:29

I've had copper broadband and landline with vodafone for ages. There's no line rental. Unlimited calls up to one hour long. The first two years were half price, at £2.50. You do the sums on what I pay now. :)

I'm not sure I even need fibre.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Mar 2020, 15:37

9fingers wrote:Our household contains two "vulnerable" adults in mid 60s and 1 university student currently still attending lectures 1 day per week.

Bob

Same here, though both our Uni students quit the nest a long time ago. As I'm knocking on seventy :shock: I've decided to stay at home until this thing blows over but I reckon we could be in for a long haul; my guess is at least four months of isolation if not longer....dunno :?:

The consolation is that I've got plenty of nice wood in the 'shop and a project list as long as my arm.

No problems with getting loo rolls etc delivered by Waitrose, except they didn't bring my ale just now :cry:

We've always been with Virgin and rarely have had issues; yep, t'interweb thingie goes down from time to time but they're pretty quick to fix stuff, so no real complaints plus the broadband is not quite uber-quick but certainly not too shabby - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cncpaul » 15 Mar 2020, 16:13

I live in the most westerly part of Europe, we are on lockdown, l just hope it does not spread this far, our Daughter was getting married here in three weeks so that looks likely to be cancelled.

For the rest of you
Attachments
42CB48E6-CD7D-4123-9B0B-915B41B0EC2E.jpeg
(163.99 KiB)
Cncpaul
New Shoots

Name:

Postby Andyp » 15 Mar 2020, 16:58

Malc2098 wrote:

Oh you do, especially if you want to reduce loo roll consumption :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 15 Mar 2020, 17:07

We’ve had half a dozen power outages here, just for a few seconds up to a minute. I am sure it is overload.
All those people normally eating in restaurants are now at home cooking their own Sunday lunch.

Bars and restaurants are closed but tobacco shops (there is irony there) remain open. Now if the tobacco shop happens to be a bar as well... :)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 15 Mar 2020, 17:14

Andyp wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:

Oh you do, especially if you want to reduce loo roll consumption :)

I eat loads of bran :shock: which is needed as well to reduce cholesterol so my NHS fact sheet tells me; not sure about reducing loo roll consumption though - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 17:19

Foodwise...guess we can't complain. Lots of protein wandering around. Two rifles for when the hordes' try and storm the bastle. Note to self...must stock up on ammo. We have a well. A generator.....another note to self...must get petrol.

Did I tell you I was born in 1958? I look like this because I worry a lot. The rest is sun damage.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 15 Mar 2020, 17:21

Andyp wrote:We’ve had half a dozen power outages here, just for a few seconds up to a minute. I am sure it is overload.

Think it must be local to you, Andy. Your grid is only running at 50% capacity at the moment.

Just thank your lucky stars you have a lot of nuclear power.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat