It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 16:59

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2020, 13:18

TrimTheKing wrote:I don't know the specifics but a mate of mine has Crohns and has taken immuno-suppressants for 15 years. He's had one telling him he's in the highest category and must self-isolate in his own home, staying 3 metres from everyone else in his own home at any given time...

Thanks Mark
Do you happen to know if that came from a central source or for example from his local hospital/consultant?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Mar 2020, 13:18

I'm in a meeting with him now, will ask when we get to the end...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 28 Mar 2020, 13:34

9fingers wrote:Letters to the mediacally vulnerable.

Bob

You might like to try a bit of self-help here, Bob. https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

The supermarkets (well, Waitrose for one) are putting in place systems to give some priority slots to the elderly and vulnerable. Not sure whether they mean you have to be both to qualify ! I had a peek at the link and seems to me wide-open to abuse but at least it's a start. I didn't qualify !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 28 Mar 2020, 13:40

Bob

This is the letter he received, looks like it’s a generic letter to the most vulnerable direct from the NHS.

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2020, 13:41

TrimTheKing wrote:I'm in a meeting with him now, will ask when we get to the end...

Thanks Mark.
I have now found a section of NHS website which has a more specific list of medical problems and severity levels which would appear not include either of us.
They estimate this to involve 900k patients. They also expect GPs to be adding a further 600k names
This agreees the 1.5m figure in the media but does not support the media claims for diabetics and all steroid takers.
They say all letters should be received by 30th March

I think we may be off list and still able to go out to shop for food etc.

I have also volunteered for the RVS but waiting to hear about approval.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 28 Mar 2020, 13:42

Thanks Roger and Mark for inputs whilst I was typing the above.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 28 Mar 2020, 15:15

I went through the Govs online check list, which I answered honestly and came out classed as Elderly but not Extremely Vulnerable.

We are supposed to be on Waitrose’s and Sainsbury’s “Elderly” list but so far they don’t seem to be up and running properly.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Mar 2020, 15:32

I’m due a MRI scan on Wednesday so it will be interesting to see if that still happens.
I’ve already had a text to say my medical team are reviewing the way forward and my next outpatient clinic may carried out over the telephone.

There’s major reorganisations of the local hospitals taking place and one, because of shortages, has decided not to ventilate the over 60’s!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Mar 2020, 16:18

Rod wrote:.....

There’s major reorganisations of the local hospitals taking place and one, because of shortages, has decided not to ventilate the over 60’s!!

Rod

That sent a shiver down my spine even though I knew that this was going to happen. In fact, not wishing to rain on anyone's parade, 'over-60's' in some areas will be optimistic. :(
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby MY63 » 28 Mar 2020, 19:02

Ventilators may be in short supply in the future, however I find it difficult to accept that any hospital would make such a sweeping statement, Doctors would find it very difficult to go along with such an arbitrary cut off. Decisions will be made on medical need and should the supply of ventilators run out then it may come down to who has the best chance of recovery.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Mar 2020, 19:24

RogerS wrote:
9fingers wrote:Letters to the mediacally vulnerable.

Bob

...putting in place systems to give some priority slots to the elderly and vulnerable. Not sure whether they mean you have to be both to qualify ! I had a peek at the link and seems to me wide-open to abuse but at least it's a start. I didn't qualify !

True and I went to Waitrose last week. I stated that I was 68 and had high BP (under control with meds though) so that technically made me 'elderly' and 'vulnerable'....sort of. I enquired before the scheme started running and one of the parters confirmed that I would be allowed into the store, but I took along my passport and one of my meds for good measure. Belt n'braces :D - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 28 Mar 2020, 19:56

MY63 wrote:There’s major reorganisations of the local hospitals taking place and one, because of shortages, has decided not to ventilate the over 60’s!!.......

Is this true? Have you got a link?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby MY63 » 28 Mar 2020, 22:14

Rod wrote:I’m due a MRI scan on Wednesday so it will be interesting to see if that still happens.
I’ve already had a text to say my medical team are reviewing the way forward and my next outpatient clinic may carried out over the telephone.

Rod

Sorry Mike I was quoting Rod but it did not work,
If there is a link or evidence I know exactly what to do with it
MY63
Old Oak

Postby fiveeyes » 28 Mar 2020, 22:38

Rod wrote:

Rod

Decisions like this are also being talked about here too. I've no first hand, tho.
My wife has CHF, HBP, slight COPD,and is diabetic. Takes a 'laundry list' of meds. We/she must be vigilant.
All of you...be safe.
fiveeyes
Sapling

Name:

Postby RogerS » 28 Mar 2020, 22:47

Mike G wrote:
MY63 wrote:There’s major reorganisations of the local hospitals taking place and one, because of shortages, has decided not to ventilate the over 60’s!!.......

Is this true? Have you got a link?

There is an excellent piece by a recently retired surgeon in this weekends' FT. It discusses this very issue.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Mar 2020, 23:04

These are the requirements to be classed as Extremely Vulnerable

Mike - no link, I have family working in the local hospitals. When things are in short supply medics have to make awful decisions.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby MY63 » 28 Mar 2020, 23:38

The last pandemic scare was in 2009 if memory serves me correctly, protocols were put in place in the NHS and I am pretty sure they have never been amended. Each hospital or NHS Foundation Trust will nominate what they call for want of a better name T. W. M. (three wise men) senior doctors not necessarily men who will make the clinical decisions required. They will be based on chances of recovery not age, will they take people over 60s off ventilators if someone else comes into hospital who is younger but has less chance of recovery, I guess we will wait and see.
MY63
Old Oak

Postby Robert » 28 Mar 2020, 23:56

Friend of a friend that I have met several times in the past (though not recently) is now in intensive care on a ventilator and sedated at the local hospital. He is a year or 2 older than me (I'm 65 now) and has some of the higher risk pre existing conditions though I don't know exactly what.

He has been tested and is positive for Corona. Can't be visited and would be unable to talk even if not sedated. All a bit of a nightmare for his wife and family and scary for the rest of us. All getting a bit too real.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Phil » 29 Mar 2020, 18:17

We are in total lock down for 21 days. No booze or cigs for sale (unless you can get to a shabeen :lol: :lol: )
(guess what the bored population are going to do?

Looking at statistics:

Lets say we have a death rate of 100,000 out of nearly 60 million

Comes December 2020 the deceased will be replaced by at least 400,000 new souls :o :o

So question to the government - do you have enough facilities to handle so many births in the space of say 2 weeks?
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby RogerS » 29 Mar 2020, 21:31

It's quite a surreal feeling TBH. Living where we do, there is no traffic. The odd walker. Life goes on. LOML only ever goes out to do the shopping once a week. I'm the 'wanderer'. To the gym, pick up sweeties (food not girls...). If it weren't for the news we'd know nothing of what is going on out there. Until it comes to trying to order stuff and then you're brought up short.

LOML is going shopping for the last time on Tuesday for a while as, hopefully, Waitrose will have implemented their new 'Give a wrinklie a delivery slot' programme.

I've seen sight of the clinical protocols ....not good. If you catch it, pray you are in the 80%.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 29 Mar 2020, 22:46

On a lighter note... we had a friends and family get together yesterday and it went really well.

Check out zoom - a video teleconferencing app (just google 'zoom'). You get as many 40 minute meetings as you want for free. There were 5 of us all sharing news and seeing each other makes such a difference. Just talking at the laptop with no additional mic but it handled the sound well and everyone could hear everyone else on various devices.

One of our party had the paid version for work so we ended up having a 2 hour meeting without the 40 minute limit.

Worth a try if you want to feel a bit closer to those that can't come near.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Andyp » 30 Mar 2020, 06:39

Whats app video call allows more than one to one.
The schools here are also using zoom for teaching purposes. Does seem to work quite well.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby chataigner » 30 Mar 2020, 13:15

Isabelle has also been using Zoom to be able to continue teaching her french classes for ex-pats. It seems to work very well - the "blackboard" facility is especially useful for teaching.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 30 Mar 2020, 13:49

Meggie got her letter, as above, several days ago. Despite trying multiple times per day, she cannot get on a delivery list, any list, never mind the "priority" one for " vulnerable". She completed 6 months chemotherapy 11 days ago, so her immunological status is well documented.
As her husband, although I am healthy, I cannot go out to shop as the risk of bringing C19 home ( even in semi-rural Northumberland) is real and - in her words - "will do for me".
Fortunately, No2 offspring is 10 mins walk away and he has done ration runs for us, but, and its a big but, he has had to work throughout as his chemical synthesis skills are "essential". So what if he gets it in transit or at work? What is our fall-back position for supplies? Neighbours are elderly, one is 77, yada, yada. We live in a small house, where distancing/shielding would be aspirational, not practical.
I am undermined and apprehensive because the so-called liason between UKGov/NHS and the supermarket chains simply is not happening.
In an age where digital comms are dominant, I am at a loss to understand why £6,000,000 can be spent for the sake of making sure BloJo(b)'s physical letter got posted, so presumably, that cash is not available to fund contacting the 1,400,000 folks who need concrete suppport, not rhetoric? Is THAT why we - and, presumably, lots of others - still cannot get to a position where they can SAFELY obtain vital "basic necessities" without risking their lives?
Come on! Use all that computing power and delegate out all that contacting to out-of-work call centre staff!! VOIP etc could see them easily use their skills and get the job done.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 30 Mar 2020, 14:44

Really sorry to hear that, Sam. You're not alone. Listening to various bits and pieces, I don't think anyone can get a slot - with anyone and anywhen.

Have you enrolled on the govt vulnerable person list. Although I suspect that this is open to abuse.

I know Waitrose are supposed to be interfacing with that and/or people over 70 and who have a Waitrose account and/or John Lewis Partnership card. But it is still early days and not yet in place. LOML is going out tomorrow to get food supplies and we are hoping that this will be the last time.

It won't be an insignificant task to implement this into their systems.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat