It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:15

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby 9fingers » 06 May 2020, 12:58

They are generally branded as "MasterLock" example:-
https://www.screwfix.com/p/master-lock- ... safe/77908
but the same design is badged as Squire - a name associated with locks for many many years is offered by Toolsatan.
https://www.toolstation.com/squire-comb ... afe/p65310
Also from ironmongery direct even cheaper
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... 7mm-971905

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 06 May 2020, 14:15

I've got a number of those knocking around Bob, good to hear they are as tough as they look as I was going to sacrifice one just to see.

We've had one for years to allow various people in/out of the house at various time, along with their own alarm code that allows them access only to the areas of the property they might need (for instance paying someone to feed/water/walk the pets when we're on holiday is cheaper than kennelling them and less stressful for them. The dog walker has the key safe code, her own alarm code which only allows her access to the utility room where the dogs stay and nowhere else, so if she did take a sneaky peak into any other rooms (only the kitchen and kids playroom accessible from the utility) then the alarm goes off.

The advantage of individual alarm codes also means if someone who does have one for any reason uses it at a time they had no need to, I can see it in the log and question them. Not that I don't trust people :eusa-whistle: but anyone who is given a code is made acutely aware that any time they use it it is visible to me and code is unique to them, so do not lose it or give it to anyone else...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 06 May 2020, 15:39

Thanks. Bob.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 07 May 2020, 08:46

Tesco delivered to us two days ago, restricted to 80 items; M-in-L Sainsbury's delivery tomorrow. Whew.

Both of these were not arranged/made available via the respective portals, but instead through direct telephone contact from the local council. They were much more straightforward to deal with and the "vulnerable" status of both parties was quickly verified.
Anecdotally, I am starting to suspect there is a 'weighting' being applied by supermarkets; urban areas seem to be getting more delivery slots per household than rural ones? Unsurprising, given distances and population densities, and therefore "efficiency" as measured by people delivered to (so that you can trumpet impressive statistics) but a tad sneaky and rough on hillbillies like RogerS ;) out there on the fringes...

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2020, 10:16

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:.... Unsurprising, given distances and population densities, and therefore "efficiency" as measured by people delivered to (so that you can trumpet impressive statistics) but a tad sneaky and rough on hillbillies like RogerS ;) out there on the fringes...

Sam

100% agree with you there, Sam. Would be nice for some honesty from them TBH.

On a more positive note, LOML had a flight down to London cancelled by BA. Doing a bit of reading around the subject, turns out that BA - like all the other airlines - are trying to fob people off with a voucher. They removed the ability to claim a refund online and switched off their phone lines. One can understand why they'd do this - hang on to their ever-dwindling cash. Still wrong though.

Anyway, bit of lateral thinking and bingo...full refund in days as opposed to weeks and weeks that others are getting. :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 07 May 2020, 10:41

RogerS wrote:Anyway, bit of lateral thinking and bingo...full refund in days as opposed to weeks and weeks that others are getting. :D

You going to share then, Mr Mysterio...? ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 07 May 2020, 10:48

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:Anyway, bit of lateral thinking and bingo...full refund in days as opposed to weeks and weeks that others are getting. :D

You going to share then, Mr Mysterio...? ;)

The obvious way would be via credit card co under consumer credit act and let them wait for BA to pay up.
Chargeback on Debit card also should work.
But Roger might have another more devious method! :D
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 07 May 2020, 10:56

With regard to supermarket deliveries, I do have some sympathy with the supermarkets.
Tesco for example have had to recruit 10s of thousands of extra staff to cover both staff on sick leave and extra stock turnover and all the extra deliveries.
That will have tested the management hugely let alone the need to get hold of more delivery vehicles.
It is a obvious and natural reaction to act in a way to maximise the number of customers served by the delivery service not just for the statistics but to maximise customer satisfaction.

Compare with countries like France with far more rural, low population density they don't even offer a delivery service.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 07 May 2020, 14:46

The Sainsbury’s delivery driver that served us a few days ago was a volunteer- he was doing it to help out during the crisis.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2020, 15:56

Are paper masks still not available in UK?

Local marie (town council) here are distributing door to door over the weekend one paper mask per inhabitant. Thats 60 odd million if being repeated across the country.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 07 May 2020, 16:02

With regard to supermarket deliveries, I do have some sympathy with the supermarkets.

Me too Bob; as you rightly point out, there are only so many vehicles and tying them up for a long time commuting to outliers means less time available to fulfill a greater(?) number of urban bookings. And yes, staffing is a huge issue.
My recent experiences with their websites vs reality has made me hyper-cynical and all-too-ready to immitate Bono's father... :(

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby Woodster » 07 May 2020, 16:08

We consider ourselves very lucky as not only do we get delivery slots from Tesco and Sainsbury’s but the pharmacy attached to our local doctors surgery has been delivering our prescriptions as well. My wife has also recently been offered a test for Covid-19.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 07 May 2020, 16:31

Do you get all this 'Coming Together To Help' over there in France, Andy ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 May 2020, 16:45

Woodster wrote:We consider ourselves very lucky as not only do we get delivery slots from Tesco and Sainsbury’s but the pharmacy attached to our local doctors surgery has been delivering our prescriptions as well. My wife has also recently been offered a test for Covid-19.

Not wishing to pry, but has your wife been offered a test as a result of her job, heightened vulnerability or having had symptoms or something else.
I have a pal who is vulnerable medically, disabled, living alone and showing symptoms. He has been through 111 service but has not been tested.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 07 May 2020, 16:50

My wife has COPD Bob so the NHS has put her on the shielding list.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 May 2020, 17:00

Woodster wrote:My wife has COPD Bob so the NHS has put her on the shielding list.

Thanks!
My wife has reduced lung function and auto immune system problems and has a shielding letter but no offer of a test.
To be fair, she has had a phone consultation follow up to the letter and told them that she is (thankfully) fine so that might be the reason for no test offer.

I'm a bit unsure of the value of testing and a negative result to be honest, as rather like an MOT test, only shows the position at the time of the test and with no immunity, infection could occur the next day.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2020, 17:18

RogerS wrote:Do you get all this 'Coming Together To Help' over there in France, Andy ?

As far as I can see France does not have a captain Tom.
Locally it seems the village town hall coordinates volunteers for shopping, medication deliveries etc but I have no idea how many volunteers they have.

In general I get the impression that everyone relies on the state so much more than in the UK. Charities exist but as far as I can see nowhere near on the same scale as the UK.
For example I know of just two charity shops in Caen, Red Cross and Emmaus. They may be others but i have not noticed them. In contrast in my fathers local small town they are more charity shops than coffee bars, at least 8 that i can think of.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 07 May 2020, 17:23

I’ve just been isolated and tested again “as I’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive “.
Will know the results tomorrow but I feel fine at the moment.
Dangerous places hospitals.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 07 May 2020, 17:33

Rod wrote:I’ve just been isolated and tested again “as I’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive “.

Rod

Will you be back home soon all being well with the test?
Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 07 May 2020, 18:01

9fingers wrote:
Rod wrote:I’ve just been isolated and tested again “as I’ve been in contact with someone who tested positive “.

Rod

Will you be back home soon all being well with the test?
Bob
I hope so Bob, in a few days.
It’s an ongoing problem from the Cryoablation they carried out in Dec 2018. It forms a collection in my pelvis which becomes septic.
Now have a vacuum drain poking out of my back.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 07 May 2020, 19:44

Sounds uncomfortable Rod. Hope you stay clean of the virus.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 14 May 2020, 19:00

My father came home this afternoon. None the wiser as to why he collapsed, although tested positive for covid it seems that was unlikely to be the cause. Never really had full symptoms since a bad cold/flu shortly after christmas. He sounds bright as a button tonight which is a vast contrast to 4 days ago when he thought he’d never come home.

I think he was lucky.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 May 2020, 19:28

Great news Andy, a huge relief I imagine.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 14 May 2020, 20:15

TrimTheKing wrote:Great news Andy, a huge relief I imagine.

+1

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 14 May 2020, 21:04

Good news, Andy. Any further progress on the alarm or keysafe ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat