It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:06

It’s getting closer

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: It’s getting closer

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Oct 2020, 17:42

Went and had my flu jab today. I was very brave.

The nurse said if she had a sticker, she'd give me one. ;)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Woodbloke » 05 Oct 2020, 18:09

Malc2098 wrote:Went and had my flu jab today. I was very brave.

Had mine at the beginning of Sept and was fully expecting a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits. Stoney ground :( - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby garno » 05 Oct 2020, 19:20

Woodbloke wrote:

Had mine at the beginning of Sept and was fully expecting a cup of tea and a couple of biscuits. Stoney ground :( - Rob

I got a free plaster :D
The older I become the more things I find wrong the young.
garno
Seedling

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 05 Oct 2020, 20:43

If i had an innuendo, I'd have given her one. ;)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 05 Oct 2020, 22:13

garno wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

I got a free plaster :D

I didn't even get that.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 06 Oct 2020, 06:31

Due to age and health, my medical aid kept on sending me reminders to have the shot.

However, neither chemist or Dr's up the road could get stock. Apparently C-19 to blamefor shortage.
Too late now, we are back in summer.
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 22 Oct 2020, 22:05

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54646533

That’s us, Normandie, on nighttime curfew now.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 23 Oct 2020, 05:04

Andyp wrote:https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54646533

That’s us, Normandie, on nighttime curfew now.

What's the rationale behind the curfew ? Is there that much going on between those hours ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 23 Oct 2020, 07:19

Dunno Rog.
Hard to make sense of a lot of the measures being introduced in the UK, here and elsewhere.
It seems that governments all over are desperately trying to protect a run on the hospitals without introducing total lockdown. I reckon the authorities are looking at what is happening elsewhere, seeing the level of protest and trying to do something different.
I could rant about about what is happening in the different countries and regions in the UK. No matter what X says Y will say it is too much or not enough and will want to do something different.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 28 Oct 2020, 21:06

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 28 Oct 2020, 22:23

We will be next. Or Germany. Or Italy. Or even Switzerland. People are stupid. Of course it was going to happen. I despair.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 28 Oct 2020, 23:20

RogerS wrote:We will be next.

I give us 10 days max before full lockdown or something that looks very similar - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Oct 2020, 08:11

The devil will be in the detail, which here, will be delivered by the PM this evening.

It would appear that two of my girls, aged 16, will go back to school so thats a couple of extra trips out per day above the one hour for exercise. Will have to have an attestation on the phone each time we go out. Fines will be imposed as before.

Eldest 19 will be studying from home. No idea if she can continue her driving lessons, I doubt it. Will have to go and empty her flat today.

Can no longer pop around to my mate to watch the Spurs on Sky and we cant come here to watch the games on BT Sport. Quite frankly that is the biggest impact the lockdown will have on me.

Missus well set up to work from home but will go to the office some days as it cuts down on the school runs.

Remains to be seen if the supermarkets will run out of bog roll.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2020, 09:18

RogerS wrote:We will be next. Or Germany. Or Italy. Or even Switzerland. People are stupid. Of course it was going to happen. I despair.

I suspect that the government will want to appear to avoid a national lockdown, but will just move all of the country, bit by bit, into tier 2 or tier 3. I suspect they'll be aiming to be somewhat harsh now in the hope of being able to loosen the reins around christmas.

There appears to be a rising expectation that the first vaccines will be coming into use around christmas, which would be great.

I've recently been working in another architect's office on a rather special one-off project. On Wednesday last week I got a common-or-garden sore throat, as normally happens this time of year (my wife brings them home from school). Rather than just have a day or two off work, I won't be going back until next week, just because everyone is so nervous.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerM » 29 Oct 2020, 10:08

My best guess is that a lockdown, but disguised by the euphemism *circuit break" or "Tier 3" or similar will come sooner rather than later, given the flak the govt took over the first lockdown which was universally criticised, rightly or wrongly, as coming too late. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I always understood a "circuit breaker" kept tripping until the underlying problem was solved! :( :shock:
Last edited by RogerM on 29 Oct 2020, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby RogerS » 29 Oct 2020, 10:20

RogerM wrote:My best guess is that a lockdown, but disguised by the euphemism *circuit break" or "Tier 3" or similar will come sooner rather than later, given the flack the govt took over the first lockdown which was universally criticised, rightly or wrongly, as coming too late. They're damned if they do, and damned if they don't. I always understood a "circuit breaker" kept tripping until the underlying problem was solved! :( :shock:

I think that they are too late already. We need to be a heck of a lot more draconian with those who resolutely are non-compliant. Really think the Govt is missing a trick and that they should be getting the scriptwriters of all those egregious soaps on TV and the radio to run threads involving pain, death, long covid etc just to get the message through the thick skulls of some. If I was Home Secretary, I'd make Ms Patel look positively angelic. :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby droogs » 29 Oct 2020, 10:23

MikeG do they not believe yu have already had it?
droogs
Old Oak

Name: Alan

Postby Woodbloke » 29 Oct 2020, 10:47

Mike G wrote: I suspect they'll be aiming to be somewhat harsh now in the hope of being able to loosen the reins around christmas.

There appears to be a rising expectation that the first vaccines will be coming into use around christmas, which would be great.

I also think that this will probably be HMG's master plan, but they've probably left it too late as last time round in the Spring.

RogerS wrote:
I think that they are too late already. We need to be a heck of a lot more draconian with those who resolutely are non-compliant.

I think you're right Roger - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Oct 2020, 11:08

Can you imagine the uproar if the UK govt tried to enforce the self assessment attestation that we have to do here. PITA undoubtedly but it really makes you stop and think each time you go out.

No European government has had universal support for whatever measures they have used during the past 8 months. The UK, IMHO, has done no better or worse than the rest.

Just reminded my daughter that we are not protecting ourselves but others. Easy to forget that.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby 9fingers » 29 Oct 2020, 11:09

RogerS wrote: If I was Home Secretary, I'd make Ms Patel look positively angelic. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
If you were home secretary, I'd be considering emigration! :lol: :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 29 Oct 2020, 11:27

9fingers wrote:
RogerS wrote: If I was Home Secretary, I'd make Ms Patel look positively angelic. :lol:

:shock: :shock: :shock:
If you were home secretary, I'd be considering emigration! :lol: :lol:

Bob

I'd never let you back in so you'd be OK ! :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 29 Oct 2020, 11:49

Roger is not priti enough to be Home Sec.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodster » 29 Oct 2020, 11:56

The Elephant in the room is why the North of England is so bad? Are they just unlucky or not following the rules? It was really low down here but rising steadily now, I reckon the summertime influx of holiday makers or students returning to uni have made things worse. Bournemouth council in particular wanted to stop a mass influx of covidiots in the summer but Boris refused.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 29 Oct 2020, 12:05

Woodster wrote:The Elephant in the room is why the North of England is so bad? Are they just unlucky or not following the rules? It was really low down here but rising steadily now, I reckon the summertime influx of holiday makers or students returning to uni have made things worse. Bournemouth council in particular wanted to stop a mass influx of covidiots in the summer but Boris refused.

I think the north is culturally different. They are used to walking in and out of each others houses, uninvited, at all times of day. A northerner who moved in to our village in Devon moved back because she couldn't get used to the lack of regular uninvited callers. There also seems to be an attitude of "we don't do what the govt says, and in particular a Tory Govt". A friend who spent a few days in Sheffield ended up not visiting anywhere as he just didn't feel safe with the clear disregard for social distancing and non-wearing of face coverings. The south does seem, on the whole, to be more compliant. Just my two penn'orth in a non-political way!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Oct 2020, 12:10

RogerM wrote:I think the north is culturally different. They are used to walking in and out of each others houses, uninvited, at all times of day. A northerner who moved in to our village in Devon moved back because she couldn't get used to the lack of regular uninvited callers. There also seems to be an attitude of "we don't do what the govt says, and in particular a Tory Govt". A friend who spent a few days in Sheffield ended up not visiting anywhere as he just didn't feel safe with the clear disregard for social distancing and non-wearing of face coverings. The south does seem, on the whole, to be more compliant. Just my two penn'orth in a non-political way!

Massive generalisation there Roger, and not my experience at all, given I live in t'North.

Your comment about walking in and out of each other's houses is simply straight from the 1970's and hasn't been the case for 20+ years, and this comes from a lad who was brought up in the biggest council estate in Europe (at the time). Simply not the case any more. Of course there will be communities and areas like that, but that is so far from the norm it couldn't be much further.

Regarding 'following the rules' well if I see one person (over 12) in a shop up here without a mask then I would be massively surprised. People (at least around where I am, in Warrington) are most definitely following the rules (maybe they don't agree with them, or like them, but they are abiding by them) or at least all the ones I see/know are, yet the cases continue to rise.

Something's causing it, but don't think for one second that the majority of the North is ignoring this because that simply isn't true.

Take this the way it's meant, as in not a dig at you, but your comment is very much symptomatic of the North/South divide and the belief that we're still all flat cap wearing, whippet walking, ferret tickling miners! I don't say that lightly either because my wife's family are from Kent/Surrey and I know from many a long conversation with them and their friends (all of an older generation obviously) that there is still very much the belief that we read by oil lamp light and have dripping on toast for supper every night.

Dammit, I'm still not sure what this light box, tappy thing in front of me is that I'm tapping to you on. Some kind of magickal wizardry! ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat