It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:22

Washing Liquids

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Washing Liquids

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2020, 11:46

We don’t often use oils but when we do it’s olive or rape seed.
But over the last few months I’ve noticed that it’s becoming difficult to wash up frying pans say without leaving a greasy residue.
I’ve increased the number of squirts and used very hot water to no avail so I’m beginning to wonder if the manufacturers have altered the detergents ingredients? Making them safer for the environment but less effective on grease.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Washing Liquids

Postby Woodster » 31 Mar 2020, 17:16

I’ve not noticed to be honest. We normally use Ecover liquid. We needed to replace one of our non stick pans recently and I was mindful of claims that some of them can taint your food. One of the recommended safer alternatives is made by a company called GreenPan. Not cheap at about £40 but it’s the best frying pan we’ve ever bought. Very non-stick and easy to keep clean. It also heats the food evenly and has a very nice cast aluminium handle that doesn’t get too hot in use. I wish they made baking trays like this as that’s another pet hate when working in the kitchen! :D
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 31 Mar 2020, 18:11

The Scoville stuff from Asda replaced some of our old pans when I changed the hob for a new induction one.
Seem pretty good so far.

Whilst there also picked up some same brand cast aluminium roasting pans with the same non stick on them. Amazingly easy to clean. Not useable on an induction hob though but we never put a baking tray on the hob anyway.
Worth a punt if you hate roasting pan cleaning.

Edit.
Oh and 3 years ago i bought a ridiculously expensive baking tray 'Master Class Professional Hard Anodised Non-Stick Baking Tray' from Amazon. The thing is magic. Nothing sticks and washes clean in seconds. The hard anodising on the back suffered in the dishwasher so now it gets hand washed - which we should have done all along as it is so easy. Non stick is still perfect.

https://amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00PO9L8A8/
Last edited by Robert on 31 Mar 2020, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added tray
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 31 Mar 2020, 19:16

It’s not the pans or trays we have problems with it’s the washing detergent.
We’ve tried all the major brands and some of the cheapos with the same results, often washing the item 3 times before it’s clean and using water too hot to immerse your hands.
I just wonder if the ingredients have been revised to be more “green”? Will have to give the green ones a try.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 01 Apr 2020, 10:57

I use Ecover because we've got a septic tank and haven't noticed any of that you mention Rod. Give it a go. I buy in 5L bottles from Amazon as it's much cheaper, then decant into a smaller Ecover bottle we bought to try it out.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodster » 01 Apr 2020, 11:37

Thanks for the link Robert. It is expensive but I’m getting sick of using baking trays that get manky after only half a dozen uses.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 01 Apr 2020, 11:41

I mainly use washing up liquid to wash down the granite worktops. I put a small squirt direct on to the sponge pad once the pad has been run under hot water and make a soapy wash over spilt grease or whatever. Once it is all loose i lift most of the soapy water off with a squeezed out sponge then dry with microfibre cloths.

Can't say I've seen a problem with olive or rape seed oil or fat and that is using the supermarkets own brand cheapy liquid.

I do also wash the largest pans and trays and have found tea towels sometimes leave feint smears. Those smears come straight off with the microfibre cloth so I'm wondering if it is your drying method on non stick surfaces.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby MattS » 02 Apr 2020, 09:09

We only use oil seed rape - our local farm shop sells one made in the village. In fact we can walk to the edge of the farm within 3 minutes from our door! We use Aldi washing up liquid which is great but with all the supply problems I've ended up using Morrisons and have noticed i really doesn't cut through grease as well.

Most of our pans are enameled Le Creuset, however our frying pan is from this shop;

https://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/iron-frying-pans

We've had it probably 6 - 7 years and it gets washed with warm water and a stiff brush. They advise against using any washing up liquid as it removes the non stick layer which builds up. Used properly it is brilliant, maybe not as good as a brand new non stick pan but those coatings aren't good and this pan will last us a lifetime.
MattS
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat