It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 12:20

Putting faces to names

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Putting faces to names

Postby 9fingers » 23 Sep 2014, 20:51

My wife & I spent a very pleasant afternoon in the company of AndyP and his family in northern France today.
After coffee and home made cake, we had a tour of the estate, the fruit and veg garden, the chickens and most importantly the workshop. Far too tidy compared to mine and if I had not seen the items produced from within, I'd have to assume nothing went on in there.
A few enjoyable hours soon sped past and we had to go back into town to our hotel for the night.

Thanks Andy and I hope to be able to host a return visit in UK soon.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Putting faces to names

Postby Andyp » 24 Sep 2014, 08:04

Nice to See you and Janice too. I can only apologise for the cake and promise not to bring the leftovers onto the ferry this afternoon :D
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Pinch » 26 Sep 2014, 09:50

9fingers wrote:My wife & I spent a very pleasant afternoon in the company of AndyP and his family in northern France today.
After coffee and home made cake, we had a tour of the estate, the fruit and veg garden, the chickens and most importantly the workshop. Far too tidy compared to mine and if I had not seen the items produced from within, I'd have to assume nothing went on in there.
A few enjoyable hours soon sped past and we had to go back into town to our hotel for the night.

Thanks Andy and I hope to be able to host a return visit in UK soon.

Bob

Mrs P and me are still waiting for our invitation Bob :|

:D
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 08:45

Best to come unannounced Paul, that way my Mrs P won't have time to do any baking. :D

Normandy is a wonderful area of France, plenty of history, scenery and fine food. Only took me 15 mins last night to get home from the ferry.
If ever you are passing feel free to drop by.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 28 Sep 2014, 10:53

Cheers Andy - we could be taking you up on that. 8-)

My Mrs P and me are planning a holiday next year on The Somme and then up to the Normandy Beaches. We've been researching our ancestry (although my family is a bit tricky on father's side) and Mrs P lost a great uncle on The Somme - his name is one of the 72,195 missing on the Thiepval Memorial. She's even found out where he was during the great battle together with other info - very moving. I've learnt my great grandfather (on mother's side) fought in Gallipoli and possibly on The Somme - don't know yet, but he survived the war and died in 1973. Anyway, I'm rambling on now... but Mrs P and me are excited about this holiday - although it will be emotional and very humbling. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby 9fingers » 28 Sep 2014, 11:17

Paul,
Another "must see" whilst you are in the Normandy area is the Bayeux tapestry and the 2nd ww museum nearby.
You can get a joint ticket for the two venues.
Bayeux hotels all seemed expensive to us and we stayed a few k outside to the east at the IBIS budget. A new build motel, very clean, buffet breakfast, good wifi so you can keep in touch with the forum too :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 12:19

Pinch wrote:Cheers Andy - we could be taking you up on that. 8-)

My Mrs P and me are planning a holiday next year on The Somme and then up to the Normandy Beaches. We've been researching our ancestry (although my family is a bit tricky on father's side) and Mrs P lost a great uncle on The Somme - his name is one of the 72,195 missing on the Thiepval Memorial. She's even found out where he was during the great battle together with other info - very moving. I've learnt my great grandfather (on mother's side) fought in Gallipoli and possibly on The Somme - don't know yet, but he survived the war and died in 1973. Anyway, I'm rambling on now... but Mrs P and me are excited about this holiday - although it will be emotional and very humbling. 8-)

Paul,
It would be a pleasure to see you. We are east of the River Orne just 5 mins from Pegasus Bridge.

We paid a visit to Thiepval in August and I can recommend a B&B close by if required. Unless you really want to see the visitors centre next door I would recommend going to Thiepal at about 8pm (in summer). With no one around you can really feel the atmosphere of the place.
The underground museum in Albert we also found very interesting.

I had a great great grandfather who survived the WW1 but with a steel plate in his head after a shrapnel wound and great great uncle who died in Thesaloniker.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 30 Sep 2014, 09:07

9fingers wrote:Paul,
Another "must see" whilst you are in the Normandy area is the Bayeux tapestry and the 2nd ww museum nearby.
You can get a joint ticket for the two venues.
Bayeux hotels all seemed expensive to us and we stayed a few k outside to the east at the IBIS budget. A new build motel, very clean, buffet breakfast, good wifi so you can keep in touch with the forum too :lol:

Bob

Cheers for this Bob, much appreciated - I've made a note. 8-) I will certainly take the ipad with us and knowing me I will probably go into a 'depth of the moment' and report back in full :D
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Sep 2014, 09:25

Andyp wrote:
Pinch wrote:Cheers Andy - we could be taking you up on that. 8-)

Paul,
It would be a pleasure to see you. We are east of the River Orne just 5 mins from Pegasus Bridge.

We paid a visit to Thiepval in August and I can recommend a B&B close by if required. Unless you really want to see the visitors centre next door I would recommend going to Thiepal at about 8pm (in summer). With no one around you can really feel the atmosphere of the place.
The underground museum in Albert we also found very interesting.

I had a great great grandfather who survived the WW1 but with a steel plate in his head after a shrapnel wound and great great uncle who died in Thesaloniker.

Thanks again Andy and it will be a pleasure to meet you too. I might start a new thread about WW1 & 2 with places to visit, people's experiences and lost family etc - especially as we're in the 70th anniversary of D-Day landings and 100th anniversary of the start of WW1.

I would like to find more about my grandfather on my father's side. It was his parents who were Russian and Polish. I know he joined up in 1940 and was involved in 3 commando raids - 1 in Norway. He fought in Europe and was eventually killed in Burma. I've recently read some of his war letters he wrote to his brother and they're very moving - not to mention actually holding these letters. He writes to say when he was fighting along side the Gurkhas in Burma, the Gurkhas would go out on patrol and they would only be satisfied if they returned to camp with a Japanese soldier's leg or arm as a souvenir. :shock: Also reading the letter from his C/O to my grandmother (days after he was killed) was very moving too.
Pinch
Old Oak

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat