It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 09:09

Breadmaking Machine

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Breadmaking Machine

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 14:21

I gave up on breadmaking machines years ago. They never produced really great results. Over the years I have tried sourdough numerous times but never had success until I bought Super Sourdough by Dr James Morton. Idiot proof starters and all very simple. No yeast.

I use a mixer, Kitchen Aid in my case, to do the first mix (5 mins) and after that I just stretch by hand. I follow James’ method and prove overnight in the fridge in cheap Banneton baskets (available cheaper on Amazon that Bakery Bits).

The key thing then, and this really works brilliantly, is to bake in cast iron pots. I heat the cast iron dishes up as the oven is heating up to 240 C, whip them out of the oven and sprinkle some flour in to prevent sticking, dump my proved dough into the dish, score with a razor blade tool, put a lid on, then into the oven asap.

I bake 25 mins with lid on. The steam created by the lid gives a very even rise. I turn temp down to 200ish, remove lids and cook for further 20mins.

Delivers far better bread than I can buy at the supermarket (Waitrose is my local).

I make and feed the starter with Rye flour and tepid water. Strong white flour I buy in 16g or 25kg sacks directly from Doves Farm on-line.

Example:
bread.jpg
(517.04 KiB)
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 26 Sep 2020, 19:16

sunnybob wrote:You realise the panasonic makes pizza dough? I'm not a fan of ordinary white flour dough so I usually put 50% wholemeal in.
makes a very tasty pizza.

Yes, I used to do it that way but changed to doing it in the Kitchenaid.

I prepare it a couple of days in advance to let the flavour develop in a covered bowl. The dough gets flattened out and coated with tomatoe sauce then popped into the oven on Pizza setting on a stone. Three minutes later I take it out, top off with the other ingredients then back in the oven for a few more minutes.

This method was suggested by an Italian pizzaiolo on YouTube and works very well.

For anyone not able to get a good loaf out of a Panasonic I’d say, “try putting the paddle in it”. If this isn’t the cause then fair play but just stay away from anything more complicated than a screwdriver! :lol:

Edit: This is the way I do it using a stone. I use Caputo Pizzeria Flour Blue and dried Yeast and Napolina peeled plum tomatoes which are delicious.

https://youtu.be/gnMejlcK-0o
Last edited by Woodster on 26 Sep 2020, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Sep 2020, 19:16

Three loaves, Adrian. Is that normal? Or was that for a BBQ or the like?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 26 Sep 2020, 20:47

I have been known to omit the paddle.
I once made a loaf for a friend who was interested in my home made bread. He bought the paddle back to me :oops:

But if you really want a different loaf from your panasonic, try forgetting to put the water in. I did that about 20 years ago and its still brought up occasionally in conversations with my wife. :shock:
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 21:19

Normally I make two Mike. If we have visitors I make three. I always have one in the freezer. Out at 9am and ready to use by noon. With offspring home from uni until a couple of weeks ago, eating endless bacon and potato sandwiches, we get through a lot of sourdough.

Usually for two I use 300g fermented starter, 900g strong white, 700 gram tepid water, 22g sel de gris (my favourite salt).
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 26 Sep 2020, 22:38

The thing with that fermented starter, though, is that its strength varies considerably, doesn't it? During lockdown when I ran out of dried yeast I made a batch of my own (starting with the last teaspoon of dried yeast), and despite assiduous care results varied from excellent to hilariously awful.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 26 Sep 2020, 22:54

No. This particular starter I have been feeding since late last year. I use the same rye flour throughout. I feed immediately after splitting off enough to bake, and I keep the starter in the fridge until Wednesday when I feed again and leave it out overnight. On Thursday I make the dough in the morning in the mixer. autolyse for 30 mins, and quick mix again. Two stretches during the day (30 seconds with wet fingers) then chuck it on a board to relax for 30 mins, split into loaf portions. Scoop into the Bannetons and then into fridge overnight. Bake first thing the next day.

Starter is absolutely consistent.

I have had horrendous results in the past, and gave up, but since getting the James Morton book, my results have been consistent, as I have followed a simple routine and used high quality flour. I think it is idiot proof. Consumes little time or effort and delivers high quality professional looking bread.

Adrian

(PS - I very rarely through starter away as some suggest. This is why I keep it in the fridge - no daily feeding.almost no waste)
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 13 Nov 2020, 13:19

Tesco sell Doves Farm White Rye Flour so I bought some the other day. 100% Rye, even with extra yeast didn’t rise enough in the Panasonic so I tried 30% mixed with normal strong white bread flour and it came out ok. Tastes really nice if you can get it. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 13 Nov 2020, 13:42

Woodster wrote:Tesco sell Doves Farm White Rye Flour so I bought some the other day. 100% Rye, even with extra yeast didn’t rise enough in the Panasonic so I tried 30% mixed with normal strong white bread flour and it came out ok. Tastes really nice if you can get it. ;)

I bought some of that too. Added some to a sourdough and it virtually killed the rise. Side of the packet recommends it for scones not bread... so may try some scones with it.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Nov 2020, 14:27

I recently wondered why my Pansonic 'large' loaves had all of a sudden gone 'small' and a bit solid and a bit chewy. It transpires that the yeast I was using had become 'tired' :eusa-whistle: and probably beyond it's sell by date. I made a loaf with some new, fresh yeast straight out the packet and viola...back to 'large' loaves :D

I now keep all my dry instant yeast in the freezer which doesn't appear to do it any harm - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 13 Nov 2020, 17:14

Robert wrote:
I bought some of that too. Added some to a sourdough and it virtually killed the rise. Side of the packet recommends it for scones not bread... so may try some scones with it.

The packet just happens to have a scone recipe on it, it doesn’t say you can’t use it for bread.
In fact they have a recipe for White Rye bread on their website: ;)

https://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/recipes/white-rye-loaf
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Nov 2020, 18:55

My experience with sourdough is that I make the starter out of rye, but make the bread out of strong white only. So for two loaves this will be 300g sourdough active starter (home made supply from just rye flour and water) to 900g of strong white flour, 600g of tepid water (below 35 degrees so the yeast is not killed off) and, after autolyse, 22g of salt (I use sel de gris as I like the flavour, and it is very cheap on-line).

I have experimented with substituting spelt, wholegrain, einkorn and various other things for about 200g from the 900g and it always makes the loaves heavy.

If you are using a mixer as do, I find the limit for a 4.8 litre type such as the Kitchen Aid standard sized one (wish I had bought bigger) is 450g starter, 1350g flour, 900 water and 34g salt. That comes just over the paddle and does not overwhelm the machine. Makes three good loaves. I would expect similar for a Kenwood Chef (used to have - no idea what happened to it).
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby John Brown » 14 Nov 2020, 11:52

I'm almost the reverse... I've given up on sourdough, as I really like dark, grainy loaves, and although I've had some success with white sourdough, when I try to bake multigrain loaves I end up with bricks.

We now buy Malthouse flour direct from Shipton Mill in Tetbury, 16kg at a time. They deliver, and we split it with our neighbours.
3 cups flour, 1.5 cups warm water, 1tsp salt and 1tsp dried yeast.
Mix it up in a bowl, cover and leave for anywhere between 4 hours and overnight.
Place the big cast-iron Le Creuset in the oven set to 220c.
Tip the dough out, form it roughly into a loaf shape. put in back into the cleaned bowl on a length of parchment.
When the oven reaches temperature, pull out the pot, lower the dough in by means of the parchment, put the lid back on and cook for 30 mins. After 30 mins, remove the lid and cook for another 15.
Best bread I've ever had.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Nov 2020, 12:06

I’ve heard of this method before and would like to try it but those cast iron pots are quite expensive and we’ve got nowhere to store it.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby John Brown » 14 Nov 2020, 12:17

It's true, they are expensive. We tend to use ours as the bread bin, as well as the cooking pot.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Nov 2020, 14:36

I can’t work out why there is such a huge difference in price? £65 v £290.
Last edited by Woodster on 08 May 2021, 00:14, edited 1 time in total.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 14 Nov 2020, 14:40

They even have bread pictured in the £65 one ... :lol:
Last edited by Woodster on 08 May 2021, 00:15, edited 1 time in total.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Nov 2020, 20:38

There is a difference in my experience. I have AGA and LeCresuet (many years old) and have used a few cheap ones. I find the enamel detaches from the cheap ones on Amazon etc and they chip very easily. I didn't buy them but offspring did and they looked rough after only a year of use.

However, you don't need enamelled. An ordinary cast iron dutch oven with lid can be found if you shop around, quite cheaply. Easy to season them for use then they will not stick.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Feb 2021, 17:23

Another loaf fresh out of the Panasonic today once again using some of the Doves Farm White Rye flour. 1/3rd Rye and the rest ordinary white makes really nice tasting bread.
Last edited by Woodster on 07 May 2021, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby flying haggis » 23 Feb 2021, 17:42

our 20 year old panasonic breadmaker gave up the ghost on us at the weekend. the drive cog in the bottom of the machine snapped in two. so out of the garage came the spare I got for £2 at a car boot sale and it works perfectly. (a new drive cog is about £9 !!)
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby sunnybob » 23 Feb 2021, 17:45

My panasonic is still working fine, but coincidentally we are trying to get a sourdough starter going, and its not doing much.
Followed all the steps but this is now 10 days and according to the instructions we should not use it till a piece dropped in water floats.

Is this correct?
my wood projects are here https://pbase.com/sunnybob
sunnybob
Old Oak

Name:

Postby novocaine » 23 Feb 2021, 18:06

ten days and nothing, chuck it and start again.

or better yet find someone you can get a starter from.

I chucked our sourdough starter last year, it wasn't worth the effort. yes the bread was lovely but it simply was to much effort vs the improvement over a standard yeast loaf. The starter had been on ice for a few months before I chucked it, I knew nobody who would have wanted it anyway and the culture is still out there with friends if I ever want to start it again.

we have a panasonic bread maker for every day loafs and use the dutch oven no knead recipe for when a better loaf is needed. pizza dough is cheated with greek yoghurt and flour and whilst it isn't a sour dough recipe it's good enough that quite a few of my work colleagues now use it too.

ok, the bread maker isn't the best bread, but it's a darn sight better than an overprocessed loaf from the store. the original recipes have all been altered to suit our water and location so we get a fairly admirable loaf these days, I might need to right it down at some point though otherwise when my wife finally kicks me out she won't have a clue how to make a good loaf. :lol:
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby ScaredyCat » 23 Feb 2021, 18:25

I do mine manually.

I use a basic 500g flour, 300ml warm water*, 10g salt, sachet of yeast for mine and then cook in a Dutch oven (18 mins with lid on, 25 with it off). Made one yesterday with a slight variation and created a 'poolish' which I left overnight for yesterday morning. Up early and had it ready for mid morning. Wife made chicken soup... was all gone just after lunch :lol:

Top tip: 200ml cold/tap water + 100ml boiling from kettle == perfect temp.
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 23 Feb 2021, 18:38

ScaredyCat wrote:I do mine manually.

I use a basic 500g flour, 300ml warm water*, 10g salt, sachet of yeast for mine and then cook in a Dutch oven (18 mins with lid on, 25 with it off). Made one yesterday with a slight variation and created a 'poolish' which I left overnight for yesterday morning. Up early and had it ready for mid morning. Wife made chicken soup... was all gone just after lunch :lol:

Top tip: 200ml cold/tap water + 100ml boiling from kettle == perfect temp.

:text-goodpost:
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AJB Temple » 23 Feb 2021, 18:56

Sunny Bob - really you need a whole grain flour to make a foolproof starter. I use Rye flour. I don't bother with seeing if it floats and stuff - if it is bubbling away then it is usable. If you want to give it a little head start, you can add a little orange juice to the water you use to make the starter. Once you get it going it is practically idiot proof. My system has no waste. I can send you the method from James Mortons book if you want to PM me.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

PreviousNext

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat