It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:34

Breadmaking Machine

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Breadmaking Machine

Postby Woodster » 26 May 2020, 15:31

A relative has been asking which one to get but looking online they’re all out of stock! I wondered where the flour was going.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Breadmaking Machine

Postby Gill » 26 May 2020, 16:54

I've used breadmakers for years. Presumably people feared there would be a bread shortage when this Covid-19 malarkey started and bought them up in a panic. I'm surprised but also delighted that they seem to be in use. Perhaps people are finally coming to realise that commercial breads are not really "the best thing since sliced bread" but products made with ingredients which would give you pause for thought if you examined them closely.

I was fortunate enough to buy a small tub of dried yeast just before lockdown, so I'll have enough to keep me going for a few weeks yet. But there doesn't seem to be any in the shops. I wonder how people can use their breadmakers without yeast?

By the way, I've used a couple of brands of breadmakers over the years and found Panasonics give the best results; although I'm sure there are other brands I haven't tried and which also do a good job.
Gill
Sapling

Name: Rumpelstiltskin

Postby Malc2098 » 26 May 2020, 17:17

Before the pandemic started I always used to go to Tescos and ask the baker for a portion of fresh yeast. Never a refusal, and always FOC. Enough for 4 bakes, and the taste is so much better than what dried yeast makes.

And we have two bakers in the town, and so I have been buying from them and cutting the loaf when I get home thicker than their machine can do it, and then freeze the slices. It comes out just as tasty when you defrost it.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 26 May 2020, 18:42

I consider it my moral responsibility to help our local small businesses going it is just a shame that it is impossible to go to the village boulangerie and only buy bread.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby MY63 » 26 May 2020, 20:16

Andyp wrote:I consider it my moral responsibility to help our local small businesses going it is just a shame that it is impossible to go to the village boulangerie and only buy bread.

I could not agree more my local bakers make wonderful bread and cakes I consider it my moral duty to support them as often as possible :lol:
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby flying haggis » 27 May 2020, 11:08

panasonic breadmaker evrytime. ours gets used regularly ie two/three times a week and has never let us down, other than when I forget to put the yeast in or press the go button!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i picked up a "spare" machine from a car boot for £2 one day!
try your local gumtree etc for a machine
flying haggis
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 27 May 2020, 15:30

Our Panasonic is about twenty years old and quite mucky inside. The plastic casing on the outside is also the worst for wear. It’s done stirling service though.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 27 May 2020, 21:30

We lent our Panasonic and it never came back so I have to make them myself now.

Here's tonight's result.

IMG_3805.JPG
(339.86 KiB)

I'm quite chuffed with them. White for me and one third/two thirds wholemeal/white for Mission Control.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodster » 28 May 2020, 10:24

Nice job Malcolm. In spite of following the shaping instructions I’ve seen I still can’t stop my dough slumping so they come out a bit flat.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 May 2020, 11:33

Woodster wrote:Nice job Malcolm. In spite of following the shaping instructions I’ve seen I still can’t stop my dough slumping so they come out a bit flat.

Thanks. I've done a couple of bread making courses and the common thing that comes out is be accurate with measurements. I find that weighing fluids is more accurate than measuring in a jug.

Normally the fluid to flour ratio is about 60% - e.g. 500gms flour to 300gms/mls water. Wholemeal flour can sometimes need more water, but we're talking just mls.

If your dough flops on the second rise/prove, then there's probably a little too much water in the ratio. So next time back off the water a little. Also in hot weather the moisture content evaporates a little more.

If you've ever tried ciabatta, that's a wet dough. Anything between 65% and 70%!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodster » 28 May 2020, 13:27

I’ve tried 60% hydration but the dough still doesn’t seem to be able to support itself. It rises ok but slumps or perhaps doesn't rise enough in the baking? I’m very careful about measuring stuff BTW. I do need to try again with some different flour though, that may make a difference. It’s interesting that the recipe I use for the bread machine is 70% hydration and that works absolutely fine although it is of course baked in the tin.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 28 May 2020, 14:15

Try 55% and see what happens.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Woodster » 02 Jun 2020, 14:45

I made yet another loaf in the Panasonic by pre mixing 200ml of water with 200g of flour with some yeast the night before and it makes lovely tasting bread with a nice open texture. I let the pre mix prove over night and put the remaining flour, yeast, sugar and all the salt in the machine ready for the morning. I then just add the pre mix and the remaining water and press the button. I suppose it’s a bit like using a Poolish.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jun 2020, 14:34

This is the first time I've seen the mathematics/science of bread making. Make sense to me. I then to use 60-65% for my mix.

[youtube]fohAKf3gdSg[/youtube]
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Robert » 10 Jun 2020, 14:46

Didn't watch all of it but man what a long winded way to say keep things in proportion for different batch sizes!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 10 Jun 2020, 15:50

Something like that, but somewhere else, there will be numbers for different types of bread, applied in the same way.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby tracerman » 11 Jun 2020, 20:21

People - I havn't read all of this thread so forgive me if I've missed anything . I was making our bread " by hand " until about 2 years ago when the arthritis made kneading too uncomfortable so since then we have used a Panasonic 2501 , which I am well pleased with . We were buying factory-made sliced bread as the lockdown shortages took effect - compared to home-made it was like eating cotton wool . Anyway recently as yeast and flours in the supermarkets dried up , I finally got around to looking on the interweb - if you still have a problem try SousChef . I ordered 2 x 40gram pots of dried yeast , it seems to have originated in Spain but was despatched within the UK . I have made 2 white loaves with this and the results were the same as having used Allinsons dried yeast . Delivery took about 3 days . Contained in small 40 gram pots with a screw-on lid .
Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Robert » 11 Jun 2020, 22:41

For yeast I'm using this from amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07K91GYJG/

And as I'm running out of my 16kg bag of Canadian bread flour from Costco I also got a 16kg bag of flour from Amazon too. The brand I bought is now out of stock but they have others.

The yeast is very good. It's a huge pack size but you can keep yeast in the freezer so that is where it lives in a sealed plastic tub. Just take it out, use a spoonful and put it back. Should last over a year.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby Woodster » 12 Jun 2020, 00:45

As mentioned on another thread I managed to get my yeast from BakeryBits.

https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/saf-levure ... ried-yeast

At the start of the lockdown I bought 10 x 1Kg bags of Italian Bread flour from Amazon. As I was getting through it quite fast I then managed to buy a 16Kg sack of Baguette flour at a good price, also from Amazon.

Strange Amazon can supply stuff like this when Sainsbury’s and Tesco can’t?! :lol:
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 13 Jun 2020, 17:45

Our Panasonic is getting a bit 'tired' now but still works well and produces a yummy loaf....provided I can get the bloody thing out the baking tin :evil: Unsurprisingly, after many years, the non-stick coating on the inside of the tin and particularly the paddle has started to flake off, so I had a cunning thought.

I always use a chunk of organic unsalted butter in my bread, so yesterday I coated the paddle and tin interior with a generous smear of butter from the pat I was going to use in the loaf.

Come tipping out time, five hours later, all that was needed was a gentle tap on the rim and the loaf came out easy peasy, lemon squeezy! - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 15 Jun 2020, 18:34

Irish Soda Bread

When I saw this recipe I just knew it was simple enough for me to make.

SodaBread.JPG
(91.01 KiB)

Bought the ingredients that were not in the cupboard.

Measured everything as per the recipe, right down to the last drop of milk.

Mixed by hand (I do not know where the Kenwood is and she is away visiting her mother)

It was a gooey mess, certainly not dough as in bread. :( :(

I ladled it out onto a baking sheet, 2 lumps and into the oven for 45 minutes.
Smells ok, looks ok.

Soda-Bread.jpg
(27.6 KiB)

Cut off a slice while still warm.

Not bread, more scone like.

I left out the salt, not allowed to eat and used half the sugar (Brown)

Actually tastes really good.

So, please tell me where I messed up with the "dough". :shock: :shock:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Robert » 15 Jun 2020, 22:46

If it tastes good that is the main thing Phil. you can always experiment changing proportions slightly next time and see what happens.

With the raisins it sounds more like a large fruit scone than a bread. I hate recipes with 'cups' and teaspoons etc. all too vague for me. When I make bread I weigh everything even the yeast and salt.

I've made scones but never soda bread so can't help much.

It was 2 hens eggs not ostrich? ;)

Maybe try 1 egg next time if it was too wet a dough.
Robert
Old Oak

Postby HappyHacker » 16 Jun 2020, 10:27

I have eaten lots of soda bread in Ireland and UK, shop bought and homemade, my mother used to make it. I have never seen currents in it.
HappyHacker
Sapling

Name: Kevin

Postby Phil » 16 Jun 2020, 16:57

Robert wrote:If it tastes good that is the main thing Phil. you can always experiment changing proportions slightly next time and see what happens.

With the raisins it sounds more like a large fruit scone than a bread. I hate recipes with 'cups' and teaspoons etc. all too vague for me. When I make bread I weigh everything even the yeast and salt.

I've made scones but never soda bread so can't help much.

It was 2 hens eggs not ostrich? ;)

Maybe try 1 egg next time if it was too wet a dough.

Raisins - I think I counted out about 10, not as much as what recipe states. Added zest of 1 lemon. Can be left out.

The eggs were 2 large ones (not ass-stretch :lol: )

I will resort to more accurate ways of measuring if I try it again.

I tried it with jam, then cheese and its good.

Tonight was it in my soup. It is winter and sounds like a thunder storm on its way. Was cold day, max about 10c out of the wind.

Not much left from the 2 'loaves'. :)
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Andyp » 16 Jun 2020, 17:08

The proof of the pudding Phil, as always, is in the eating.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat