It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:07

great to be back in front of the Mac

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

great to be back in front of the Mac

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 08:59

After 2.5 days of loading windows updates to a 3 year old dell laptop running windows 7 which had been factory reset a few days previously it is nice to be back in front of the iMac.

Also had the horrors of dealing with BT helpdesks but finally got things sorted. BT Infinity at 28mbs, BT Sport on the TV via Youview+ and broadband extenders.

After battling with the Dell laptop I am now firmly convinced that my father would be better off with an iPad for reading the odd email, surfing the odd web page and using Skype to see his grandchildren.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: great to be back in front of the Mac

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2014, 14:13

Just don't go down the Mavericks route !!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 28 Sep 2014, 15:28

I love my iPad and very rarely us my MacBook or PC

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 15:29

Why not Roger? Have you had problems with it?

I am still on 10.6.8 but was considering the upgrade because I need to equip the missus with a smartphone and was considering avoiding the iPhone due to cost. Not a problem for a one off but if I need to get 3 more for the kids in the coming years....Well I may as well get used to android devices now.

Why upgrade to OSX 10.9 just for an android smartphone I hear you cry? I'll try to explain.

We use iCal on the iMac and if I send details to the iCloud the android phone can access the iCloud and therefore our calendar Unless I am mistaken in order to sync iCal with iCloud and allow iCloud to sync back to the iMac I will need OSX 10.9.

Or course I might just have got this all wrong and perhaps I am not making much sense either.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 28 Sep 2014, 15:55

Don't you have a G5? Is that upgradeable to Mavericks?

Did I have problems? Well.........I knew all about losing any PowerPC apps that I had such as Word and Photoshop. But I had a cunning plan.

Used SuperDuper to make sure that my external FW drive had the up-to-date version of my iMac and that I could boot from it. So booted up from the external and erased my iMac and split it into three partitions - one for SL, one for Mavericks and for good measure Yosemite Beta. Thinking that with this mixed economy I could still boot up from SL if I needed to use Word.

All went well but I didn't bother initially to load up SL in its partition.

Fired up Yosemite....fine. Then I had a look around and realised that there was no iPhoto. Googled and found that a new program was slated for release in a later version of Yosemite. If I wanted to use iPhoto (and all my photos are iPhoto) then I'd have to buy it. -1 Next up, no Pages or Numbers...OK...probably have to faff around with that, find the disc with iLife on but that would take some time. -2. Then I discovered that I had forgotten how useless iTunes v11 is for classical music. -3

So decided to leave Yosemite and look at Mavericks....restarted, option key down, chose Mavericks. Same result as Yosemite so decided to abandon both and revert my iMac back to SL. That's when the problem started because neither Mavericks nor Yosemite would let me see the external drive which meant I couldn't boot from it and so be able to restore my iMac.

Fallback position, stick the SL DVD inside the iMac and install from that. Only. Only the internal drive on my iMac is well-dodgy and the install kept failing.

After a long drawn out process I managed to install from an external optical but by now I'd spent the best part of day.

But probably my own fault for trying to be too clever. Probably if you use Migration Assistant then it will all be hunky-dory.

I'd check whether or not you goal is achievable first. Maybe ask the question on the apple Community support forum?

And I just upgraded my iPod to be told that my iTunes v10 is no loner compatible with it. So I now have to find a way back for the iPod. :evil:

Fired up Mavericks ...fine. Then I remembered that I loath iTunes v11 which is mandatory. I needed to pay some bills but all my bookmarks were on the external drive in DSafari and I didn't really feel like hunting around for them.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 28 Sep 2014, 16:13

RogerS wrote:Don't you have a G5? Is that upgradeable to Mavericks?

Used to bet it wet belly up a few years ago, now have an Intel Dual core

I'll have to digest the rest of your post later.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat