It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:11

Dulux Silk emulsion

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Dulux Silk emulsion

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jul 2020, 16:05

For coloured work, I've used Dulux for years but on my current decorating task for SWMBO, I'm rolling "Natural Calico" (a bit like magnolia/cream) onto a pale powder blue.
The coverage is poor after one undiluted with a definite blue cast and white filler showing through too.

Using up leftover bit of paint in the tray, I put a second coat on the wall where I started. That is better but will need a third coat at least.

Anyone else noticed Dulux emulsion quality going downhill? It's certainly not cheap to my mind at £26/5L

Any suggestions for other brands? For white, I find Leyland trade hard to beat for opacity but I don't think they offer many colours. £35 for 10L

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Dulux Silk emulsion

Postby Robert » 22 Jul 2020, 16:33

Not used Dulux for years since their gloss turned yellow in poor light. I believe they changed hands more than once and not been ICI for years. Think Akzo own them now and they are an industrial paint supplier we used to use for production. So you'd hope quality would be on the up recently.

Most emulsion here is white and it is all Leyland vinyl silk. In the rare cases SWMBO chooses a colour I just have to make the best of it whatever the brand. Don't remember having to go to 3 coats equally never 1 coat either. Maybe 3 as touch ups. What's in my shed seems to be crown or diy shed own brand
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jul 2020, 16:44

Robert wrote:Not used Dulux for years since their gloss turned yellow in poor light. I believe they changed hands more than once and not been ICI for years. Think Akzo own them now and they are an industrial paint supplier we used to use for production. So you'd hope quality would be on the up recently.

Most emulsion here is white and it is all Leyland vinyl silk. In the rare cases SWMBO chooses a colour I just have to make the best of it whatever the brand. Don't remember having to go to 3 coats equally never 1 coat either. Maybe 3 as touch ups. What's in my shed seems to be crown or diy shed own brand

After a bit more research, it seems leyland trade colour match paints can be ordered to match any of the big boys colours with the exception of a few colours that are copyright. £35 for 5L plus £5 delivery. Easy and not too expensive allowing for time saved.
Lately Crown has become rare to find in the sheds and eye wateringly dear from Crown's own shops.
I had a feeling that I read that now both crown and dulux had the same ultimate parent company and that they were keeping both brands going. Usually that means a difference in quality is the end strategy and just maybe what I'm finding.
Not ever tried Shed own brands thinking them to be perhaps poorer quality- maybe wrongly?

Two coats would be my expected norm but a better result after one than I've managed today.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 22 Jul 2020, 17:07

I sprayed my workshop with Leyland paint magnolia and was very impressed. Never used Dulux for years and certainly won't use paint from Farrow and Ball as their paint is akin to making love in a canoe. My decorator detests F&B.

Our preferred paint is Little Greene although it ain't cheap.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Cncpaul » 22 Jul 2020, 19:15

Bob,

Where did you buy the paint ?

l was told that Dulux from the Sheds was not the same as a trade supplier, it
could be that or all the quality has dropped.
Cncpaul
New Shoots

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 22 Jul 2020, 19:49

Cncpaul wrote:Bob,

Where did you buy the paint ?

l was told that Dulux from the Sheds was not the same as a trade supplier, it
could be that or all the quality has dropped.

It did come from B&Q.
Bit naughty if the same pots have different quality paint according to the reseller. At least the product name should be different in some way.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 22 Jul 2020, 21:56

My next door neighbour said she always asked for (under the counter jobbie :eusa-whistle: ) 'professional' grade paint which apparently covers with one coat (aka all the ads on the televisual). I've used shed grade Dulux for decades and have always needed to apply two coats (of emulsion) - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 22 Jul 2020, 22:32

Guess that would be Dulux Trade range. You get it from decorators centres - shops for tradesmen but they sell to anyone. There was one near the factory so when it came time to paint the inside that was what we used. It did cover in one coat but that was paint not emulsion. They don't stock any colours you just say what colour you want and they mix it there and then.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Rod » 22 Jul 2020, 23:56

Woodbloke wrote:My next door neighbour said she always asked for (under the counter jobbie :eusa-whistle: ) 'professional' grade paint which apparently covers with one coat (aka all the ads on the televisual). I've used shed grade Dulux for decades and have always needed to apply two coats (of emulsion) - Rob

My builder is using Wicks Trade paints and two coats of emulsion are coming out well. A thin-downed coat for the first coat.
For woodwork an undercoat followed by two coats of gloss. Time will tell.
When I last did some decorating I used Dulux Trade Satin Wood - they had supposed to had overcome the yellowing problem by then.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby StevieB » 23 Jul 2020, 08:10

I would always expect to use at least 2 coats of emulsion, possibly 3 depending on colour of both the new paint and the old surface. B&Q Valspar stuff that they mix on site - SWMBO insisted on the colour but it costs a fortune compared to off the shelf ranges paint - is no different despite the enthusiastic salesmanship in the shop, and still required 3 coats for a proper finish.

Good paint is bloody expensive, and poor paint is getting that way too!
StevieB
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jul 2020, 08:55

Maybe I have given a wrong impression here. I have always expected to use two coats of brand leading emulsion paint to complete a job but meant to infer that after the first coat, this current dulux paint had given a far poorer coverage over a pale blue substrate than I'd been used to.

Furthermore, where I had put a second coat on to finish the remains in the roller tray, the finish was still poor and hence I expect to need three coats to get an acceptable finish.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Woodbloke » 23 Jul 2020, 09:40

StevieB wrote:I would always expect to use at least 2 coats of emulsion, possibly 3 depending on colour of both the new paint and the old surface. B&Q Valspar stuff that they mix on site - SWMBO insisted on the colour but it costs a fortune compared to off the shelf ranges paint - is no different despite the enthusiastic salesmanship in the shop, and still required 3 coats for a proper finish.

Good paint is bloody expensive, and poor paint is getting that way too!

...and then some! We have a cherry red front door which I painted with reasonable stuff a few years ago. When it came for a repaint I couldn't get hold of the original so I went to B&Q with a sample of the old stuff (for matching purposes on their 'puter) and got hold of a couple of tins (enough for several years) of their Valspar. Costing and arm and leg is moderately close - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Jul 2020, 10:38

I’ve always used Dulux Trade and not had a problem.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 23 Jul 2020, 11:10

Woodster wrote:I’ve always used Dulux Trade and not had a problem.

Have you used colours? Are those mixed while u wait or need to be ordered?

I think I'll be using trade in future.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby the bear » 23 Jul 2020, 17:05

As far as wall paint/emulsion is concerned the best I have used by far is Mylands Marble Matt. Both workability and coverage. Also very hard wearing. Not cheap however.
Second best Little Green as Roger suggested, not cheap again.

Mark
the bear
Sapling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 23 Jul 2020, 18:46

9fingers wrote:
Woodster wrote:I’ve always used Dulux Trade and not had a problem.

Have you used colours? Are those mixed while u wait or need to be ordered?

I think I'll be using trade in future.

Bob

The last room we did was just white. I can’t remember for sure but the last time I used colour I think it was mixed in store though. If you’ve not used trade before it’s very thick. ;)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Peteh » 26 Jul 2020, 20:16

I always use Dulux Trade paint from a Dulux decorating centre and the paint is first rate.

I think it's better coverage than the "Dulux Trade" available at retail outlets. In fact I'm certain.

It's hugely expensive but ask for a discount and usually minimum 25% sometimes 40% but it varies. The outlet in Exeter are rubbish for discounts...
Peteh
Seedling

Name:

Postby Woodster » 27 Jul 2020, 14:49

I normally buy paint from Brewers, most decorators seem to use them.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat