It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:38

iPhone 7 or Samsung S10 Lite

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

iPhone 7 or Samsung S10 Lite

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2020, 08:25

My Vodafone contract ends in August - much to my rapturous delight - and I will be going back to Three.

So new phone time and can't decide...

Do I stay with Android at get the Samsung S10 Lite

or move across to iPhone 7 (I am a Mac man after all)

These are the only two phones in the frame as far as I'm concerned. Anything more exotic carries a higher monthly charge.

Been here before, I know, but wondered if people's views had changed ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: iPhone 7 or Samsung S10 Lite

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jul 2020, 08:43

iPhone for me. Not because I'm some kind of sheep as the Android mob would have you believe, but because there's very little that I need to do nowadays, if anything, that I can't do on my iPhone.

Back in the day when I had time to be nerdy I would do all sorts of stuff and having the freedom of Android would have suited that, now I just want everything to be easy.

Plus, after using an iPhone for 10+ years, using Android seems so clunky and unintuitive. That might just be me, but they are not obvious in what each bit does or where to find certain things. That is 100% down to me not having used them very often at all, but still, they're not just 'pick up and go'.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby MY63 » 24 Jul 2020, 09:43

I have recently updated in the Samsung range I considered the 10 lite however it is neither water or dust resistant. As far as Samsung told me it does not support wireless charging.
I went with the Samsung 10e which has less cameras but is waterproof and dust proof it also supports wireless charging. I find it easier to buy my phones from Samsung on interest free than add them to my phone bill.
The 10 E was £499 in February.

I did consider the iphone but it came down to cost in the end for me.
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2020, 10:21

iPhone for me (Still with vodafone and no problems). Still on the 6s. Converted to apple several years ago, me and the missus. Pleased we did.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2020, 11:04

Malc2098 wrote:iPhone for me (Still with vodafone and no problems). Still on the 6s. Converted to apple several years ago, me and the missus. Pleased we did.

iPhone only or the whole shebang ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 24 Jul 2020, 11:40

RogerS wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:iPhone for me (Still with vodafone and no problems). Still on the 6s. Converted to apple several years ago, me and the missus. Pleased we did.

iPhone only or the whole shebang ?

Me - iPhone 6s and Mac Mini. Mission Control - iPhone6 and MacBook Air. Vodafone supply our copper broadband and landline @ £5 per month.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 24 Jul 2020, 11:44

Only one person I know has a contract phone. My wife and I just buy the phone and have a cheap sim only deal which has a one month notice if we ever wanted to move on. Cheaper in the long run I would have thought?
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2020, 11:56

Robert wrote:... Cheaper in the long run I would have thought?

But not as much fun as having a shiny new one every two years !
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Jul 2020, 12:23

Robert wrote:Only one person I know has a contract phone. My wife and I just buy the phone and have a cheap sim only deal which has a one month notice if we ever wanted to move on. Cheaper in the long run I would have thought?

Same here. We bought our iPhone 7 (moi) and 7+ (SWIMBO) outright and have been well chuffed. We both use a joint EE deal thingie and haven't had any problems, apart from in Japan in 2017 where we swopped over the sim cards so that when we got back to the UK I couldn't get the EE one to work again properly. A blokie in the EE shop in town had a look and got them to work perfick in about twenty seconds.
The next time we'll replace them is when 5G is fully up and running - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Jul 2020, 13:05

Woodbloke wrote:
Robert wrote:Only one person I know has a contract phone. My wife and I just buy the phone and have a cheap sim only deal which has a one month notice if we ever wanted to move on. Cheaper in the long run I would have thought?

Same here. We bought our iPhone 7 (moi) and 7+ (SWIMBO) outright and have been well chuffed. We both use a joint EE deal thingie and haven't had any problems, apart from in Japan in 2017 where we swopped over the sim cards so that when we got back to the UK I couldn't get the EE one to work again properly. A blokie in the EE shop in town had a look and got them to work perfick in about twenty seconds.
The next time we'll replace them is when 5G is fully up and running - Rob
I’ve got a 128Gb iPhone 7+ with a large data allowance and my wife a 7. A great life saver when in hospital.
I use my phone for most things, that I very rarely use my MacBook or PC
I’ve been on Vodafone for more years than I can remember - never had any problems.
I don’t intend to upgrade until 5G is available.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 24 Jul 2020, 17:22

I can’t comment on the iPhone 7 but I’ve got the 8 and it’s a very good phone, the battery lasts ages. Have you thought about buying a phone? The newish Apple budget iPhone is supposed to be very good.
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 24 Jul 2020, 17:29

I didn't realise how locked in the iPhone was. Even to the extent of a chip in each Lightning connector meaning you can only use cables from Apple or licenced companies. To putting chips in the batteries tying them to specific phones.

I've made my decision and it's neither ! Beech1948 on UKW recommended the Samsung A71 and I've gone for that.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodbloke » 24 Jul 2020, 17:35

Rod wrote:I’ve got a 128Gb iPhone 7+ with a large data allowance and my wife a 7. A great life saver when in hospital.
I don’t intend to upgrade until 5G is available.

Rod

Same here Rod but the other way round; I have the 7 and SWIMBO has the 7+, both with 128Gb. I shudder to think what a 5G iPhone is going to cost, but I suspect they're few years down the line, especially in the light of HMG's decision to (rightly) kick out that Chinese mob from the 5G network - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Rod » 24 Jul 2020, 23:14

I’ve got lots of cheap lightning cables that work perfectly fine.
And with Bluetooth earphones you don’t need cables at all.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Woodster » 24 Jul 2020, 23:17

RogerS wrote:I didn't realise how locked in the iPhone was. Even to the extent of a chip in each Lightning connector meaning you can only use cables from Apple or licenced companies.

Strange, I’ve not heard that before and I use non Apple cables for charging my iPhone and iPad. I can’t imagine my £10 pack of three charging cables from eBay are “licenced” in any way? They are rather nice cables though, I got a 1 metre, 2 metre and 3 metre in the pack.

Have you done something to upset Beech1948 on UKW?! :lol:

E51369D3-1E46-4196-9E61-40ED20D378A1.jpeg
(196.98 KiB)
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Jul 2020, 23:32

Rod wrote:I’ve got lots of cheap lightning cables that work perfectly fine.
And with Bluetooth earphones you don’t need cables at all.

Rod

I have a number of third party cables and 50% work fine and 50% don’t. The chaiwanese versions are extremely variable in their compatibility.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 25 Jul 2020, 06:10

From Wikipedia

Official Lightning connectors contain an authentication chip that was intended to make it difficult for third-party manufacturers to produce compatible accessories without being approved by Apple;[11] however, the authentication scheme has been cracked.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ow-1106884
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 25 Jul 2020, 11:05

RogerS wrote:From Wikipedia

Official Lightning connectors contain an authentication chip that was intended to make it difficult for third-party manufacturers to produce compatible accessories without being approved by Apple;[11] however, the authentication scheme has been cracked.

http://www.techradar.com/news/computing ... ow-1106884

Yep, and as I say I have loads that work fine, some don’t.

The only issue I’ve actually ever found with the 3rd party ones is when you connect them to the Mac to do any physical transfer or sync, and some of them won’t recognise the phone has been plugged in, but I’ve connected my phone to my Mac a handful of times in the past 5 years so it’s a non-issue really.

Not had a problem with the third party ones working as chargers which is predominantly what you use them for.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat