It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 20:04

Help me find a post!

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Help me find a post!

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Aug 2020, 17:12

Evening all

I am searching for a thread that contains a picture someone uploaded, can't remember what it was but I think was some kind of cabinet, that was painted in a blue/grey colour.

I'm almost certain that I asked the poster if it was painted in Farrow & Ball 'Downpipe' as it looks very much like my study, and i'm almost certain the person replied that it wasn't but was something similar but a bit lighter.

I have searched every combination I can think of of my username, paint, Farrow & Ball, F&B, downpipe etc and can't bloody find it! The only one I can find is me asking Mike whether his part painted wall was downpipe.

Not a lot to go on but I'm hoping that the person who posted the pic sees this and remembers, or someone with better Forum Search Fu than I takes up the challenge and finds it for me...

:eusa-pray: :eusa-whistle:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Help me find a post!

Postby RogerS » 08 Aug 2020, 18:04

That's too easy. 10 seconds. :eusa-dance:

Re: Mike's extension & renovation (internal doors)

Postby TrimTheKing » 24 Apr 2020, 00:06
The blue looks like the colour my study cabinetry is painted in and what I am just about to paint some cabinetry in the cinema room, Farrow & Ball Downpipe.

If not it’s very similar and a lovely colour. ;)
Cheers
Mark

Have you got anything harder ? ;) :D
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Aug 2020, 19:20

Back to school for you young man. My post clearly states I can’t find what I’m looking for and the only thing I CAN find is the post you mentioned, which ISN’T what I’m looking for!

I was someone else, someone made a cabinet and posted a picture of it in a different thread, which I then admired and thought I had commented on mentioning downpipe, to which the poster responded to say it wasn’t but it was something similar but a little lighter.

I can’t remember if what it was, was F&B or something else.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 08 Aug 2020, 20:33

Could it have been elsewhere, FB, Instagram, Pinterest etc?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Aug 2020, 21:04

Andyp wrote:Could it have been elsewhere, FB, Instagram, Pinterest etc?

Yeah could have been FB perhaps, I don’t tend to frequent any other socials.

EDIT : Hmmmm, searched and no trace. I was almost certain it was here but obviously not. :eusa-think:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby MY63 » 08 Aug 2020, 22:05

The blue looks like the colour my study cabinetry is painted in and what I am just about to paint some cabinetry in the cinema room, Farrow & Ball Downpipe.

If not it’s very similar and a lovely colour. ;)
by TrimTheKing
23 Apr 2020, 23:06

Forum: Projects & WIP
Topic: Mike's extension & renovation (front garden)
Replies: 3250
Views: 631447

Could it be this post
MY63
Old Oak

Name: Michael

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Aug 2020, 22:14

Nope, that’s the same one Roger found. I’m starting to think Andy might be right and it was somewhere else...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 09 Aug 2020, 05:56

Mark, what's the goal of trying to find this ?

Anyway to browse through photos stored in the forum database ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Aug 2020, 10:12

It was a slightly lighter version of the one I have and I wanted to do a side by side comparison in situ to see which would work best in our room.

There might be, I’ll have to look through the directories. Not sure if they’re stored in jpg format or within the database. Good idea though, I’ll have a look.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 09 Aug 2020, 12:11

TrimTheKing wrote:It was a slightly lighter version of the one I have and I wanted to do a side by side comparison in situ to see which would work best in our room.

There might be, I’ll have to look through the directories. Not sure if they’re stored in jpg format or within the database. Good idea though, I’ll have a look.

Of course, Sods' Law states that (a) it may be linked to an external source such as Flickr and/or (b) that external source is the defunct Photobucket :(

Leaving aside your wish to paint using something akin to water, could you not get a colour chart from Feeble & Bore ? Have you thought of Little & Greene...far superior paint IMO.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Aug 2020, 15:06

There's a number of things here, firstly I'm not wedded to F&B, just the colour. I don't even know if the colour that the post I'm searching for is a F&B one, I'm just trying to find what it was.

Secondly, in my experience the F&B (and pretty much all other) colour charts are about as useful as t*ts on a fish! Here's my rationale on that, se below exhibit's 1,two, three and four. Photo's of the F&B Downpipe in my study as is.

One taken mid room in artificial lighting...

IMG_2318.jpg
(243.71 KiB)

two taken perpendicular to 1...

IMG_2319.jpg
(157.59 KiB)

3 taken parallel to 1 but next to a window...

IMG_2320.jpg
(72.36 KiB)

and four taken below 1 in the same artificial light but obviously lower in the room so less light hitting it.

IMG_2321.jpg
(206.22 KiB)

As you can see the colour varies dependent on the lighting with the natural light and artificial showing it to be a kind of bluey battleship grey but when the lights are lower it takes on very distinct blue tone which is very much what we like about this particular colour, it looks different almost daily.

I guess to a degree the colour variance in lighting is normal for most paints, BUT below is what the colour purports to be in the F&B colour chart as screenshotted from their website.

dop.jpeg
(14.53 KiB)

Now, I would have glossed over this colour chart entry without a second glance but it was only when the friend of ours who made the study for us showed us something he'd done in this colour and we liked it did we then note the difference between colour chart and reality...or more correctly, the colour chart one isn't a million miles from pics 1 & 2, but that's with artificial light shining directly onto it, in normality it looks more like pic 4 most of the time and it's that colour/shade difference that isn't noticeable until you see it in proper use.

What we see on a daily basis in more akin to picture 4, which IMO looks little to nothing like the colour chart sample.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 09 Aug 2020, 16:20

I know EXACTLY where you're coming from, Mark. Now factor in the colorimetry of your camera/smartphone and that of your display and it's enough to tear your hair out.

I did post a link to a site that gave you all the RGB etc measurements for paints. If I can find it again, I'll post it up. The thing with this site is that you can put in a manufacturers paint colour and it will give you the parameters but more importantly those other colours from different ranges that are close.

Now armed with that info, you could perhaps look to see where the variation was in terms of the relative values of RG and B. Mind you you then have the fudge factor of matt, semi-sheen, sheen !!

EDIT: Found it.

https://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.as ... own%20pipe
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat