It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:22

Frustrating Local Tradespeople

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Frustrating Local Tradespeople

Postby Rod » 03 Oct 2014, 07:27

Since undergoing major surgery in the summer I am not allowed to lift anything remotely heavy for perhaps another 3 months and then with care?
This has meant that this year, I cannot trim my fairly large hedge.
I've been trying for several weeks to find somebody who will do it using the many small adverts in our village and surrounding areas magazine.
One person, who I'd used for some tree work before, said "I'll give you a ring back when I can come and see it" - that was two weeks ago!
In the end, I actually succeeded, at a very expensive price but I now have a similar problem trying to get a quote for some fencing - I leave messages on their phones but none of them have had the decency to reply!

I realise I live in a fairly affluent area and perhaps these people have lots of work on but to ignore messages is not a decent way to behave and very frustrating!!

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Frustrating Local Tradespeople

Postby chataigner » 03 Oct 2014, 07:56

Yes, frustrating insnt it ?

Here we have high unemployment, the "auto-entrepreneur" scheme to encourage people to start up as self employed and still you cant find a tradesman. When I wanted the roof re-tiled on an outbuilding a few years ago, I got a quote (after much chasing) then having accepted it, evenually gave up after 18m of waiting and did it myself. :shock: :shock:

Getting the boiler serviced this year took half a dozen repeat calls, then the chap turned up without an appointment - happily I was here so it got done.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Re: Frustrating Local Tradespeople

Postby Andyp » 03 Oct 2014, 09:18

Nice to know it is not just a "french" thing.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat