It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:13

TV sound system problem

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: TV sound system problem

Postby RogerS » 09 Jan 2021, 07:00

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:The Bosch series is a VERY poor second to the books, despite Connolly collaborating on the screenplays. The actor chosen was the antithesis of Harry Bosch as originally written. And really? The obligatory(?) race-inversion for Chief of Police? Where did the jaw-clenching W.A.S.P. go to?
Scunnered after 25 mins of episide one, thoroughly cheesed 10 mins into episode two. 2 hours I'll never get back.

Sorry Woodster, Sam.

Have to say I agree with Sam. Terrible casting for the main role.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Woodster » 09 Jan 2021, 12:03

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:The Bosch series is a VERY poor second to the books, despite Connolly collaborating on the screenplays. The actor chosen was the antithesis of Harry Bosch as originally written. And really? The obligatory(?) race-inversion for Chief of Police? Where did the jaw-clenching W.A.S.P. go to?
Scunnered after 25 mins of episide one, thoroughly cheesed 10 mins into episode two. 2 hours I'll never get back.

Sorry Woodster, Sam.

No need to be sorry. Your comments don’t mean anything as I never read any of the books. ;)

We both enjoyed all 6 seasons and so have millions of other viewers it seems.

E9B004F6-E2C9-4A26-9C6F-A642632132FB.jpeg
(102.42 KiB)

It’s also received a lot of awards.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3502248/awards

As for Titus Welliver, I have to agree. “ Michael Connelly says Titus Welliver is 'perfect' as Bosch” ;)

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/life/book ... 489794001/
Woodster
Old Oak

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jan 2021, 13:21

Here you go lads, this might answer that one...

“Q: A fan asks: The Harry in the Amazon series seems more hard-edged than the easygoing Harry in the books. Do you agree?

A: I’m not sure I do. I think the Harry in the books, his hard edges are a little bit sanded down because of time. The guy in the books is about 15 years ahead of the guy on the show. You could say the guy in the show hasn’t learned everything the guy in the books has. And I think part of what Bosch has learned is that it’s not a black-and-white world. You can’t be hard-edged; it’s a gray world. That’s a lesson that probably takes more years to learn.”

From the author himself. ;)
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 10 Jan 2021, 10:12

Thank you, Woodster and Mark. I am now perfectly happy with Woodster's preferences, having read this -from Mark's second link; underlinings are mine.

when Amazon wanted to make that show, they said, "We’re going to do things a little different, and we want you there, you created this character…" I had watched a TV show called Touch, which has come and gone. Titus Welliver was on it as a guest star, and he was playing a military vet who had PTSD. The way he carried that internal damage and projected it was just perfect. I thought, "That’s what I need in Harry Bosch, someone who can show that inner damage without saying, 'Man, I’ve had a hard life.' ”

Connolly did what many authors have done, he has written to a need. The original books were to be read; the series is seen and heard. That requires a different approach, especially incorporating "suspension of belief" as Coleridge put it.

My original complaint is now withdrawn; apologies to Woodster. I was inadvertently 'comparing apples with pears', both fruits, taste different? Glad you enjoyed the series, if you ever get the time and inclination, I recommend the books, especially "Angels' Flight" - a microcosm of racial politics and "high jingo".

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Jan 2021, 10:53

I don’t think there are any apologies required Sam. I think it’s really interesting how different people take different things from the written word and also raises a question about how movies/TV are to be interpreted.

I have myself been disappointed in TV/movie adaptations before but speaking with other people can’t to agree that they have at most two hours to get onto film something that contains perhaps 5-10 hours worth of reading detail. It just isn’t possible (unless it’s a multi part series) and as such compromises are made and more often than not they leave fans cold.

I guess the most difficult one is casting a lead because everyone who reads a book will have a slightly different mental picture of that character and finding an actors that fulfils both the look and the personality (for everyone) is nigh on impossible.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2021, 10:58

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:.....
Connolly did what many authors have done, he has written to a need. The original books were to be read; the series is seen and heard. That requires a different approach, especially incorporating "suspension of belief" as Coleridge put it.

Sam

No, I don't agree. When you read a book, and especially when you start from the very first one in the oeuvre and read your way through them all, you develop in your minds eye what the main character would look and sound like. Sometimes they get it bang on...for example, Ken Stott in Rebus. And other times, IMO, they get it so badly wrong that it is unwatchable. Like Bosch.

But as all have said, personal taste.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

TV sound system problem

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Jan 2021, 11:09

That’s the difficulty though Roger, every single person will have a slightly different minds eye view of that character so it’s night on impossible to cast it correctly.

Then again it’s easy to cast it very wrong for everyone. I can’t comment on this as I’ve never seen it.

The thing with TV adaptations is that readers need to accept that they are going to have to make concessions, or choose not to watch and preserve their idyl...
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Robert » 10 Jan 2021, 11:21

I've read all the bosch books and I've watched all the amazon series.

I didn't have a problem with the cast and my wife enjoyed the shows too and has not read any of the books.

You just have to accept that it is adapted for TV and won't follow the books exactly. Only minor irritation i had was some series seemed to merge a couple of books into one plot line so my insider knowledge of what was about to happen got confused....or maybe it is just my memory :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2021, 11:48

TrimTheKing wrote:.... choose not to watch and preserve their idyl...

Exactly so.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 10 Jan 2021, 11:53

RogerS wrote:
Woodster wrote:...And “Fantastic Beasts” isn’t really my kind of film. :D

What sort of films do you like ? Always interested to discover something decent to watch.

One not to watch

Fahrenheit 451
For some reason dystopian fiction is on the curriculum here for my 16 yr old and this film was on the list of films to watch and then write about. I lasted less than an hour. Utter tosh and uncomfortable to watch, not necessarily in a graphic way but the implied violence and abuse was beyond me.

I don’t want to be shocked when I watch a film. I want a little humour be it fiction or non-fiction.

We had heard a lot about the Greatest Showman and watched it for the first time over Christmas, not at all bad (except for the volume changes required) but there appeared to be just one tune in the whole film, just rearranged with different lyrics and varying beats etc.

“Fisherman’s Friends” is worth a watch as is “The Bromley Boys” Bromley is my home town club and also “Swimming With Men” and “The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society”. If there a genre for this type of film? Seemingly low budget, no CGI, probably independent, humorous, no violence, little screaming and shouting, my type of film.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Robert » 10 Jan 2021, 12:32

The way this thread has gone makes me wonder if we should have a 'what to read' and a 'what to watch' threads.

I read a lot and sometime wonder where to go next. I have prime and netflix but don't watch a lot there as it is hard to pick what is good and don't see friends now for recommendations.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2021, 13:03

Robert wrote:The way this thread has gone makes me wonder if we should have a 'what to read' and a 'what to watch' threads.

I read a lot and sometime wonder where to go next. I have prime and netflix but don't watch a lot there as it is hard to pick what is good and don't see friends now for recommendations.

Why not start them, Robert ? I think it's a great idea.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2021, 13:04

Andyp wrote:.....
One not to watch

Fahrenheit 451
For some reason dystopian fiction is on the curriculum here for my 16 yr old and this film was on the list of films to watch and then write about. I lasted less than an hour. Utter tosh and uncomfortable to watch, not necessarily in a graphic way but the implied violence and abuse was beyond me.

Dystopia seems to be within the province of youth. I used to devour J G Ballard - as dystopian as it gets IMO - and used to keep them for re-reading. All gone to the charity shop.

Sightseers is a good film. Midnight in Paris as well.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Jan 2021, 13:26

RogerS wrote:
Robert wrote:The way this thread has gone makes me wonder if we should have a 'what to read' and a 'what to watch' threads.

Yep, let's have separate threads for books/visual.

Unless someone wants to do it, I'll start one later (got some jobs to do first). I'm thinking a list broken into Genre and people either add to it and the mods can cut out and add to the list then delete posts, or each person copies the original list into their post and adds their own, that way the last post will always be the updated one.

Thoughts?
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 10 Jan 2021, 16:08

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerS wrote:

Yep, let's have separate threads for books/visual.

Unless someone wants to do it, I'll start one later (got some jobs to do first). I'm thinking a list broken into Genre and people either add to it and the mods can cut out and add to the list then delete posts, or each person copies the original list into their post and adds their own, that way the last post will always be the updated one.

Thoughts?

I suggest that folk refrain from saying "No, I thought that X, Y or Z was rubbish". Let people form their own opinions and whether or not their tastes are reflected by those of Tom, Dick or Larry
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Jan 2021, 17:16

Agreed.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Previous