It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:43

I think I made someone's day...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: I think I made someone's day...

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jan 2021, 12:10

Andyp wrote:...angles morts....

Strange how this happens but up until yesterday evening when I went to Tesco for a few bits I had never seen/heard that phrase in my life. As I was parking a truck cab pulled in next to me with a sticker on the door saying angles morts with a diagram, which I worked out meant blind spots.

Never heard it then twice in about 14 hours!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Phil » 09 Jan 2021, 13:19

TrimTheKing wrote:
novocaine wrote:cheers for that Chris, it made me laugh.

bit like the C word to a Welsh man, it isn't swearing it's just a habit.

Trev, I do that, I've been explicitly told I need to stop as we have 2 young children.

One of my best friends is a girl from Pompey and they use the C-bomb as a term of endearment for each other. They literally say "Alright you c*&t, what you been up to?", "Don't be a silly c*&t!" etc.

Got another mate who's as Welsh as they come, never heard him use it... :eusa-think:

In our local language it is called a "doos" which also translates into box.

So, a corrugated box becomes a geriffelde doos. Think how enjoyable that could be. :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby TrimTheKing » 09 Jan 2021, 13:43

:D
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Woodbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 18:46

MartinF wrote:Picking up on several of the previous comments:

Use of the “F” word. I read the memoirs of an ex-Royal Signals guy who mentioned the frequent use of the word. He quoted one of his colleagues who said “The f-ing f-er’s f-ing f-ed” and they knew exactly what he was talking about.

Sounds about right for the RS and the Army in general. Their use and abuse of the f**k and it's associated derivates has to be heard to be believed and it's not just the lower ranks that swear mightily. I finished my time working for the Signals at HQLand, Marlborough Lines in Andover and on one occasion, a particular OpsO needed to see one of the lads about something fairly trivial.

The OpsO, as occifers do, sat right in the corner of a very large, open plan office and the individual in question was at least 15 yards from him, so a considerable distance. We all heard the OpsO yell, at the top of his voice....''Oi, Daimo, get your f**king ar$e over here!!"

SWIMBO also finished at HQL, but moved amongst the higher echelons in a different building. One particular one* brigadier couldn't string two words together with inserting either f*ck (or similar) or c**t (or similar) and addressed SWIMBO one day in a manner similar to the OpsO (above), whereupon she stood up at her desk and gave him back as good as he dished out.

He was nice to her after that :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Phil » 10 Jan 2021, 08:40

If you want to hear choice language strung together telling you what your family are, were, will be, then you should listen to the Cape Coloureds especially if you are the harbour waiting to buy some fresh yellow tail 8-)

You need to make as if not listening. It is the males and females.
They can describe you anatomically for 15 minutes without repeating words :lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat