It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:22

Forum member names

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Re: Cleaning up lipping

Postby novocaine » 12 Jan 2021, 09:53

Andyp wrote:Welcome custard. 5 years since you joined but worth the wait.
I have seen you around elsewhere but as you are here. Where does the moniker come from?

it's because he's yellow and smells strangely like vanilla. :) :D

most folks on here have a pretty mundane user name, but for those that don't it could be interesting to see where they come from. :)
Carbon fibre is just corduroy for cars.
novocaine
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 10:27

novocaine wrote:... it could be interesting to see where they come from. :)

You can; AndyP updates the Member's Map very frequently - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Routermonster » 12 Jan 2021, 11:03

Welcome, Custard!
All the tools - none of the skills!
Routermonster
New Shoots

Name: Les

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2021, 11:07

Woodbloke wrote:

Perhaps you have grasped the wrong end of the stick here Rob? :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 15:23

9fingers wrote:
Woodbloke wrote:

Perhaps you have grasped the wrong end of the stick here Rob? :lol:

Bob

Wouldn't be the first time Bob!! :lol: :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2021, 15:39

To continue the theme as intended (I think?)

I use "9fingers" dating from 2005 when I had hand surgery and two adjacent fingers of my right hand were stitched together during a cross flap plastic surgery procedure. A flap of flesh from a donor finger is taken over to the neighbouring finger whilst retaining life support from the donor finger. After a few weeks the fingers are cut apart and the job's a good un.

At the time I effectively had 9 fingers not 10 hence the name choice.

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Re: Forum member names

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2021, 16:44

I'll go next, here goes the sob story...

When I was younger I had very low self confidence and was bullied fairly mercilessly throughout primary and secondary school for a number of reasons.

Firstly when we moved back down to Manchester from Scotland (moved up there when I was about 4 when parents divorced and that's where my maternal family are from) I had a broad scots accent. Obviously a couple of wags took to mocking me for it, which got me into numerous scrapes for talking back.

As I aged and my accent disappeared (taught myself to lose the accent) senior school beckoned and I was going to a secondary that wasn't linked to my primary meaning I would only know a single person on day one.
Mum clearly thought my life wasn't hard enough as it was and that I needed further toughening up, so took us on holiday to the south of France at the end of the summer hols over the first two weeks of term (in reality we were quite poor and that was the cheapest time to do it, out of the holiday season. I don't recommend a coach trip from Manchester to Canet Plage to anyone! Lovely place but 2 days on a coach is no fun!).

Puberty hit and sod's law dictated that I then put on some puppy fat (I played so much sport you wouldn't believe so it wasn't food or lack of exercise!) and developed weapons grade acne for which I got numerous names from pizza face to the more blunt spotty c&nt! Again I didn't take them lying down and as such had to be the first out of the school gates every afternoon to avoid getting into a scrap. Let's just say I probably made it out first 50% of the time...

By 13 I was probably depressed looking back, and took up Tae Kwon Do mostly for fitness and because I loved martial arts and Bruce Lee since I was young. Turned out I wasn't half bad and after 2 years won the open championship in Kendal.

Soon after that another bullying incident in the 4th year saw me tied to a drainpipe by my thumbs while the cock of the school and his gang leathered a football at me. I just stood and covered up until it was over, or at least that was the plan until the ball caught me in the eye. I lost it, pulled myself free and kicked a few bells out of the lad who kicked the ball. That was when I finally gained some respite and grudging respect, and the bullying ceased.

After that my self confidence grew further as I started hanging out with an older cousin who was very confident and I started to grow into myself. I then start work and joined the football team, did well and styled myself on my football idol, Eric 'The King' Cantona.

Through the football team met a lad who I got on great with who nicknamed himself The King, so to wind him up I created myself an email address trimtheking@...

I also do like Elvis a lot so that was another reason for the choice, then when I first joined UKW I couldn't think of a name so just went with the start of my email address.

That was a long way to get round to saying my forum name is just my email addy! :lol:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jan 2021, 16:54

It was the number on my shoulder.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2021, 16:55

Malc2098 wrote:It was the number on my shoulder.

Wow, you go from my War and Peace-like missive, to something much more succinct! :lol: :eusa-clap:
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Malc2098 » 12 Jan 2021, 16:57

TrimTheKing wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:It was the number on my shoulder.

Wow, you go from my War and Peace-like missive, to something much more succinct! :lol: :eusa-clap:

Doing my bit to save bandwidth. :D
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby AndyT » 12 Jan 2021, 16:58

My first name is Andy and my surname starts with T!
Hope that's ok...
--------------
Andy
AndyT
Old Oak

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 12 Jan 2021, 17:03

AndyT wrote:My first name is Andy and my surname starts with T!
Hope that's ok...

D'ya know Andy, I've been struggling to decode that for years :lol: :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 12 Jan 2021, 17:13

"Ah! Q!" is a punning moniker on the first letter of my surname and the fact that I was a Quartermaster (briefly) responsible for gadgets of all kinds for our C.C.F. contingent. SamQ is what my pupils called me, behind my back.

Sam
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around by an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Old Oak

Name: Sam

Postby John Brown » 12 Jan 2021, 17:15

I am named after my paternal grandfather, whom I never met.
John Brown
Sapling

Name:

Postby Sheffield Tony » 12 Jan 2021, 17:16

I was born and raised in Sheffield, though I've drifted southwards to Bedfordshire through study and jobs. Still kind of proud of the Sheffield heritage, my Dad and his Dad were both steelworkers.
Sheffield Tony
Nordic Pine

Name: Tony Hague

Postby Woodbloke » 12 Jan 2021, 17:27

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:"Ah! Q!" is a punning moniker on the first letter of my surname and the fact that I was a Quartermaster (briefly) responsible for gadgets of all kinds for our C.C.F. contingent. SamQ is what my pupils called me, behind my back.

Sam

...and there I was thinking you were a renegade from a Bond movie :lol: - Rob
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Jan 2021, 17:29

novocaine wrote:
Andyp wrote:Welcome custard. 5 years since you joined but worth the wait.
I have seen you around elsewhere but as you are here. Where does the moniker come from?

it's because he's yellow and smells strangely like vanilla. :) :D

most folks on here have a pretty mundane user name, but for those that don't it could be interesting to see where they come from. :)

I assume you are a dentist?
Or a druggie! :shock:
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Jan 2021, 17:34

When Tom ran the WH1 forum, I was Homer Simpson as my job was very similar to his.
I transferred mycurrent one from elsewhere for continuity.
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Lurker » 12 Jan 2021, 17:35

AndyT wrote:My first name is Andy and my surname starts with T!
Hope that's ok...

There is alway someone who has to complicate things!!
Lurker
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerM » 12 Jan 2021, 18:20

For the budding Sherlocks amongst you, my surname begins with "M". :lol:

TrimTheKing wrote:When I was younger ........[I] and was bullied fairly mercilessly throughout primary and secondary school for a number of reasons.

I can relate to this Mark. For a number of years I was picked on with low level bullying at school, but didn't confront it because I just didn't want to get involved in a punch up. Then I overheard a conversation that wasn't very complimentary, and the very next time I was picked on I completely lost it. A quick left jab which gave him an immediate nose-bleed caught him by surprise, and as he came forward to retaliate he connected with an absolute right-handed haymaker which caught him on his cheekbone with all my weight behind it. He went down like a sack of spuds.

There was no immediate consequence, but the following day I was wheeled in front of the head following a complaint from the boy's mother. To his eternal credit, the head knew I had no record of being a trouble-maker, and all about the other boy's reputation, and I was given a token wrap on the knuckles and that was the end of it. When the other lad came into school late with his right eye closed and his cheek completely black from a burst blood vessel I became a bit of a celebrity amongst the other lads who had suffered under his bullying, and no one ever bothered me again. With the benefit of hindsight I just wished I'd confronted him 3 years earlier!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Andyp » 12 Jan 2021, 18:27

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:"Ah! Q!" is a punning moniker on the first letter of my surname and the fact that I was a Quartermaster (briefly) responsible for gadgets of all kinds for our C.C.F. contingent. SamQ is what my pupils called me, behind my back.

Sam

Please, C.C.F.?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Andyp » 12 Jan 2021, 18:28

just like Andy T,
Although I’ve gotta P :)
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby novocaine » 12 Jan 2021, 18:29

Lurker wrote:
I assume you are a dentist?
Or a druggie! :shock:

Nope and erm... nope, which isn't to say I haven't, just that I never saw the point :).

I love a good origin story and the nickname of novocaine has many depending on who you ask but it all stems from the same group of people at university where I studied mechanical engineering. ~I'm not sure which one I believe to be true and thing it's most likely a combination of all them to some extent.
I was a founder member of the now somewhat defunct university mountain bike society, I say defunct because it lasted all of 1 year before we were all so embroiled in other aspects of university live to continue the paperwork required by the students union to claim ourselves as a society, girls, booze, bikes and.........
Story no. 1.
we managed to get ourselves signed up to a day with the university dentistry dept. as test subjects for various pain killers and anesthetics, this was mainly because Big Dave (I was at the time known as little Dave thanks to my 5'10" diminutive stature), whos then girlfriend was studying there (I think it was her), I got lucky and whilst a fair few got a jab in the gob I got NO2 and Novocain. the goal wasn't to test if the pain was reduced, merely to show the students what the effects are. well the effects of laughing gas and Novocain on me are apparently rather amusing. I have to say I have no recollection of it but I'm reliably informed I spent most of the time off my * chatting up the lecturer, who was a 40 something married dentist with fantastic..... teeth. shortly afterwards, when ever I was seen in a bar or club talking to someone of the opposite sex a cry of "HE'S ON THE NOVOCAINE AGAIN" was typically heard, occasionally from someone not actually in the bar at the time. it got shortened and just became novocaine over time and the name stuck.

Story 2. not quite a verbose but apparently when cycling I had the tendency to not really feel the pain of falling of nor of pushing to hard and a few times it was suggested I was on something, that something got called novocain (steve martin movie and the song novocain for the soul by the eels being the reason apparently).

Story 3. completely untrue but still told by one of them to a girl in a nightclub in an attempt to impress her (I have no idea how this worked in his head) I once gave a girl such a good time that she slept like she was on novocain afterwards. I can vouch for this story being completely incorrect and in no way have I ever managed such a feat, you only have to ask my wife for that bit of information.

Story 4. shouting little Dave across a crowed student union was to confusing, there was a poster for a movie night on the wall above me and one of the movies was the aforementioned Steve Martin film, someone quipped that I should be called it and it stuck for the night, unfortunately it stuck for far longer. strangely at one point I had a few lecturers calling me by it too.

That's all the stories I can remember (it's been a fair few years now), you may pick which you find most believable or combine which ever you wish. :) it's shortened to Novo by most and just Dave to other these days, I'm too old for silly nicknames. it is part of my email address though.

now the origins of the other nickname "Armando Liswickie the third" that's a different story and one that should be told by an ex who thought it was my name for the first 3 weeks of dating me. :lol:
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby novocaine » 12 Jan 2021, 18:31

Andyp wrote:

Sam

Please, C.C.F.?

combined cadet force, i.e. ATC, ACF and SC.
novocaine
Old Oak

Postby Mr P » 12 Jan 2021, 18:37

A small group (3) of us at our woodturning club have the first name of Steve, so to distinguish who is being talked about, we used the initials of our surnames, so there's Mr M, Mr F and I'm Mr P.
Mr P
New Shoots

Name: Steve

Next

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat