It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:47

Hammer Service engineer...

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Postby ScaredyCat » 13 Apr 2021, 13:07

I think the voice in the background says it all.

at 11:18

ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Re: Hammer Service engineer...

Postby AJB Temple » 13 Apr 2021, 14:42

Not a good advert for Felder quality and service is it!
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2021, 10:09

There’s a follow up video after he got in touch with Felder directly and they were brilliant. It looks like most of his issues were with the retailer not actually Felder.

He ended up sending his saw back to Felder, he wanted a replacement which they we’re going to do then he decided to upgrade. The difference was €2500 which they said they would discount to €1000 because of his troubles, they then delivered the upgraded saw but found an issue with the fence. They replaced the fence the next day, knocked off another €200 and gave him three new blades and some additional accessories of his choice.

When they saw the original video they were very unhappy with the reputational tarnish and the approach of the retailer and did a good job in making reparations.

Sounds like his retailer was a bit of a shyster though.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2021, 10:09

But to focus on the original post, Christ almighty the guy’s shoving his arm inside the saw with that huge blade spinning!!! Insanity!!
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Apr 2021, 10:22

Oh that's good then Mark. I looked for the follow up video but failed to discover it. Glad Felder stepped up.

This video actually got me looking at another guy who did a very useful review of the Felder saws of different qualities at a Felder open day. I am potentially interested in a Basic Hammer machine. If and when I ever build or extend my new workshop. :| It was done by Alastair Johnson of Freebird, who has done a lot of vids about starting a small fitted furniture business, which he and his wife are building up. He's very focussed on lean efficiency.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOEQZfCTeyI

He built a new shop, and largely built it around a massive second hand Wadkin panel saw in the end. Another video shows that journey.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2021, 10:28

Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 14 Apr 2021, 10:30

I looked at the Hammer bandsaw when it first came out. Very nice machine, it was just cost at the time that made me go for the Axminster one I have. I must say though I can’t see how the Hammer can be so much better than my Axy to justify the price different, in terms of performance.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerS » 14 Apr 2021, 11:10

AJB Temple wrote:.... I am potentially interested in a Basic Hammer machine. ..

Which one ? I can tell you ALL about the combi - good and bad !
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby ScaredyCat » 14 Apr 2021, 17:29

TrimTheKing wrote:But to focus on the original post, Christ almighty the guy’s shoving his arm inside the saw with that huge blade spinning!!! Insanity!!

For a moment there I thought nobody had actually noticed. I bet Steve Maskery would have ;)
ScaredyCat
Sapling

Name: Andy

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Apr 2021, 18:50

We can talk nearer the time Roger. I do prefer separate though. Probably good P/T is more important to me.

I noticed the arm in the hole. He's a trained service engineer (presumably) and was well behind the blade. I wouldn't have done it or had my face so close to the blade, but I assume he knew what he was feeling for. Belt tension perhaps.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Mike G » 14 Apr 2021, 20:49

AJB Temple wrote:.........If and when I ever build or extend my new workshop.......

If? Whaddyamean if? Take the conifers down, build a new workshop on the veggie patch, then convert that top lawn to the new veggie patch, with the old workshop base as the base for greenhouses and garden shed. Then next week.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby AJB Temple » 14 Apr 2021, 22:31

You can keep quiet Mr G. No siding with my wife! :lol:
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Cabinetman » 15 Apr 2021, 16:04

AJB Temple wrote:We can talk nearer the time Roger. I do prefer separate though. Probably good P/T is more important to me.

I noticed the arm in the hole. He's a trained service engineer (presumably) and was well behind the blade. I wouldn't have done it or had my face so close to the blade, but I assume he knew what he was feeling for. Belt tension perhaps.

I cannot imagine that a service engineer would be trained to have his hand in there with the thing going. It scared me to death watching it, and testing for belt tension whilst it’s running is a recipe for disaster , I can just imagine him getting something in between the belt and the pulley it’s going to be thrown all over the place and should it have been his finger yuck . I don’t suppose that company will be stocking or selling those machines for much longer. Ian
Cabinetman
Old Oak

Name: Ian

Postby Trevanion » 19 Apr 2021, 14:34

That’s a strange thing to be doing, I’m not sure about the newer Hammer machines but with the older Felder stuff the belt is tensioned by unbolting the motor which is basically directly behind and below the blade and adjust the jack bolt which applies the pressure to the belt, which is also behind the blade. You’d never be able to adjust it with the blade on, let alone running!

It would be interesting to know what he was actually up to, perhaps he dropped something into the cabinet and went to fish it out? :eusa-think:
Trevanion
Old Oak

Name:

Postby RogerS » 19 Apr 2021, 15:14

Trevanion wrote:...
It would be interesting to know what he was actually up to, perhaps he dropped something into the cabinet and went to fish it out? :eusa-think:

Fingertip search ?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat