It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 01:25

Sooo difficult to please a woman

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Sooo difficult to please a woman

Postby 9fingers » 31 Oct 2014, 11:57

This time of year is both our weeding anniversary and SWMBO's birthday plus Christmas is around the corner.
So I try especially to think of gifts and gestures for the LOML

This week the oven fan started making noises again. Poor thing is coming up to 30 years old and the bearings are worn. I took the fan out greased it etc and replaced all the bits, cleaned up where I'd been working.
Then I had a bright idea or ordering a new fan motor so next time it gets noisy I can fit a new one.
The motor came the next day so I gave it to LOML - not impressed. OK maybe I should have put a bow on it?

We share the cooking and we both had noticed our non stick egg pan has been becoming more and more non stick and talked about a new one
I saw a Regis Stone coated one advertised on the box and elsewhere so I ordered one. Duly gave it to LOML again - not impressed. I'd have been quite happy to let here use it first.

There were several Halloween references in the media this morning and in a completely unrelated comment, LOML said that she was going into town to meet her sister for coffee. So I said shall I give your broom a quick service; make sure it starts, check the bristles etc

Even that was wrong.

I despair as to what I should do next?

I think I'll disappear into the workshop for a while. I need to tidy up a bit as another forumite is visiting tomorrow and it would be helpful if there was room for at least two people inside. :lol:

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Re: Sooo difficult to please a woman

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Oct 2014, 12:24

Haha.

WEEding anniversary! Wow, you guys really go all out to celebrate anything…! :P

Cheers
Mark

PS Congratulations btw, for whenever it is.
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 31 Oct 2014, 12:30

TrimTheKing wrote:Haha.

WEEding anniversary! Wow, you guys really go all out to celebrate anything…! :P

Cheers
Mark

PS Congratulations btw, for whenever it is.

Thanks Mark,

oops typo really is Wedding Anniversary - 34 years of dreaded bliss coming up plus several years of co-habitation!

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby RogerS » 31 Oct 2014, 12:39

Luckily mine doesn't bother about wedding anniversaries or Valentine's Day! I get by with buying her flowers throughout the year instead!
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby kirkpoore1 » 31 Oct 2014, 13:34

The good thing, Bob, is that the lack of ability to pick adequate presents (1) is not a factor in my on-going divorce(2), so I think you're OK.

Kirk
(1) Who actually did hit a few home runs (3) with Christmas, birthday, or wedding presents, including an Irish wool blanket and a small end table to hold the TV & cable remote controls made from figured white oak.
(2) Fortunately, I will almost certainly get to keep the shop & tools.
(3) Baseball term. I'm sure there some cricket equivalent, but d*mn if I know what it is...
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Andyp » 31 Oct 2014, 13:35

Stick to weeding it might be less rouble in the long run.

Congrats to you both.

My missus has the knack of making me feel guilty when she forgets and I don't.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Andyp » 31 Oct 2014, 13:38

Kirk, there are many cricketing terms that some up relationships.
My inability to pick a wrong 'un has left me stumped many times. :D

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby RogerS » 31 Oct 2014, 13:41

The key difference between men and women is this.

When a man has a bit of a tiff with another man, after a week or so, they'll (a) have either forgotten about it (b) having a laugh about it over a pint or (c) 'what tiff'?

When a man does something wrong as far as the woman is concerned, then you can guarantee that they will NEVER EVER forget it. It will go into the 'Book of Slights' for ever and a day. To be brought out at times of maximum discomfort (for the man).
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Oct 2014, 13:43

kirkpoore1 wrote:....
(3) Baseball term. I'm sure there some cricket equivalent, but d*mn if I know what it is...

I think probably the closest analogy would be a 'six' ie when the batsman knocks the ball over the boundary line without it touching the ground. The six (points) is awarded automatically. The batsman does not need to run between the wickets.

This might help you understand the nuances of our sport ;)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

Hope that clears things up :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 31 Oct 2014, 13:52

RogerS wrote:
kirkpoore1 wrote:You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game.

:eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap: :eusa-clap:

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby kirkpoore1 » 31 Oct 2014, 14:15

RogerS wrote:
kirkpoore1 wrote:....

I think probably the closest analogy would be a 'six' ie when the batsman knocks the ball over the boundary line without it touching the ground. The six (points) is awarded automatically. The batsman does not need to run between the wickets.

This might help you understand the nuances of our sport ;)

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

Well, that clears that up!

I can only reply with George Carlin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRfhbEUkg7o
(Apologies if this link doesn't work. Youtube is blocked here at work.)

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Woodbloke » 31 Oct 2014, 15:02

9fingers wrote:
34 years of dreaded bliss coming up plus several years of co-habitation!

Bob

33 years here on the 26th October just gone. This means we were wed on the 26th Oct 1981 and if you Google what happened on that date 100 years ago, that about sums up the first few years! :lol: - Rob
I no longer work for Axminster Tools & Machinery.
Woodbloke
Sequoia

Name:

Postby RogerS » 31 Oct 2014, 15:12

Actually neither of us can remember either the day or the year when we got married. I think it might have been 1979.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Andyp » 31 Oct 2014, 15:41

RogerS wrote:Actually neither of us can remember either the day or the year when we got married. I think it might have been 1979.

For some reason Roger ( and I will apologise in advance ) that conjures up a vision of a drug filled haze on the hippy trail somewhere close to Marrakech.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Robert » 31 Oct 2014, 19:49

And I was married in the long hot summer of '76 and still am.

Do I win something?

And I've bought some epic fail type presents in the past too. Not in the new fan motor league but not far behind. Having that kind of record behind you does help though as expectation is much lower now :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerS » 31 Oct 2014, 22:13

Andyp wrote:
RogerS wrote:Actually neither of us can remember either the day or the year when we got married. I think it might have been 1979.

For some reason Roger ( and I will apologise in advance ) that conjures up a vision of a drug filled haze on the hippy trail somewhere close to Marrakech.

LOL....I wish! It was a very tame affair.

Note to self: remember to hit Submit and not Preview as I wrote the reply hours ago!
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 01 Nov 2014, 01:08

I'm afraid most ladies don't appreciate mechanical toys as presents. We men would love a Merlin engine residing in our front room, as Guy Martin is proposing but I think most members of the opposite sex would not? :)
I was married in 1966 so in a couple of years it will be one to celebrate though often we don't bother.
Birthdays and Christmas we do but normally it's a family party and for presents we often ask what the recipient would like - as often we don't really want or need anything?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 01 Nov 2014, 08:20

Rod wrote:I'm afraid most ladies don't appreciate mechanical toys as presents.
;) ;)

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 01 Nov 2014, 10:43

When a woman says no, she means yes - I don't get it either.

My father put this to the test years ago and asked mother what she wanted for her birthday. Mother said nothing as she doesn't need anything. So father didn't get her anything :shock: hmmm yes, you can imagine the outcome. But he did have something in reserve of course.

I'm always getting stuff wrong in our house and I know what you mean Bob, it can be sooo difficult to please a woman - don't you just luv em though. I'm sure there's something programmed in females from when they're born - I could see this in my daughters when they were young. I can even see it in our dogs - Colin & Millie. Their relationship is very similar to Mrs P and me. Females matey... Brilliant! :D
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby RogerS » 01 Nov 2014, 11:39

Janet and John were on their wedding eve and John's father took him to one side and said "John, as you know, me and your mother have been happily married now for 30 years. And do you know the secret of our success?"

"No, Dad" replied John.

"Well, on our honeymoon night I said to your Mother that in any successful marriage only one person could wear the trousers and that person was me. And there we have it" said his Dad.

So, there they were in the bedroom on their honeymoon night and John took Janet aside and said "Here, Janet, put my trousers on". So she tried and said to John..

"These trousers don't fit me very well. They're much too loose"

"Well, Janet, that's because in any successful marriage only one person can wear the trousers and that person is me" replied John. Janet looked at John and handed him a pair of her knickers.

"Here, John, put these on" she said. So he tried and tried but couldn't get them on.

"I can't get in these knickers, Janet" he said.

"And no, you bloody well won't unless you change your bloody attitude" came the reply. :D
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Phil » 01 Nov 2014, 18:49

Ha, Ha!

:lol: :lol:
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Phil » 01 Nov 2014, 18:53

We hit 40 years next year.

What we do is go out for dinner for the anniversary, dont worry too much about flowers etc.

The date is in my ring just in case I forget.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat