It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:34

Butchering a willow tree

Hang up your Chisels and Plane blades and take a load off with a recently turned goblet of your favourite poison, in the lounge of our Gentlemen's (and ladies) Club.

Butchering a willow tree

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2015, 09:16

I managed to haul the chainsaw (electric Husqvarna) to the top of our willow and took a good 2 meters off the top. This thing grows at an alarming rate and should recover from this “heavy pruning”. I hope so as I suspect that it sucks up a lot of water from our otherwise very heavy clay soil.

Before

After (me on top)

The twigs went through the shredder and then around the back of the veg plot

This lot will have to be reduced later.

Shame that it does not seem to have any use for woodwork nor burning.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Re: Butchering a willow tree

Postby Rod » 09 Mar 2015, 09:26

Cricket Bats, charcoal - why doesn't it burn?

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2015, 11:04

This is a weeping willow. I believe cricket bats are made from a different variety.

I am sure it will burn but it's moisture content is very high and will need a lot of drying, it is also very light and will burn very quickly when dry, hence very low btu I've read reports that it smells too.

I have tried to keep some before by sealing the ends with End Seal but it always cracks and splits.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Rod » 09 Mar 2015, 13:12

Yes Andy a different type:

Cricket Bat Willow Trees - Salix alba 'Caerulea'

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby big soft moose » 09 Mar 2015, 13:23

be aware that the chips can take root and grow as well - so watch out for little trees in your vegetable bed.

willow does make nice charcoal - good for drawing, but it needs to be combined in the kiln with something else in the sacrificial area ( I generally use hazel) as it can be a bugger to get it to burn even after a couple of years drying

bigger bits you could turn green to a thin thickness then embrace the warp and twist to create odd shapes - ive done a few like that out of goat willow
big soft moose
Seedling

Name:

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2015, 18:28

big soft moose wrote:be aware that the chips can take root and grow as well - so watch out for little trees in your vegetable bed.

Not actually in the veg beds (grammatical error in the OP now corrected) but in the paths between and behind the beds. Not the first time I have spread willow chippings and so far none have sprouted.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Postby Pinch » 09 Mar 2015, 21:34

Nice garden Andy and looks like fab views too. Are those piles of wood in the background?
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Postby Andyp » 09 Mar 2015, 22:02

Thanks Paul, yes the wood in the background is next winters heating fuel, mostly beech and oak. We have a stove which provides most of our heating. Only the kitchen rad is used and then only for a couple of hours in the morning.

The last two winters have been quite mild and so we will have a fair amount left over from this winter. I have to decide shortly how much to buy for winter 2016/17 and May just get 6 steres instead of the normal 12. I reckon we are using about 8 steres each winter but we can only buy in multiples of 6.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Return to The Woodmangler's Retreat