It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:12

Links

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Links

Postby Mike G » 29 Jan 2017, 09:04

This is the only place on the whole wide interweb thing where you can't insert a link by highlighting the word you want to turn into the link, clicking the "insert link" icon, and pasting in the URL. To turn a word into a link you have to do some enormous editing job which I've completely forgotten.

There must be some widget you can import to drag this aspect of the forum software into the 21st century, surely. Could someone have a look?
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Re: Links

Postby TrimTheKing » 29 Jan 2017, 11:13

Will do Mike

Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerM » 01 Nov 2017, 20:36

:text-+1:

I've resorted to just adding the http link as text in my latest posts on finishes for the same reason. adding the [url=http....]text[/url] just doesn't work for me!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Postby Robert » 01 Nov 2017, 23:12

so if I link to google uk but make a bunch of words the clickable link this is how I do it.

click quote to see the formatting.

And it is exactly as described by RogerM so no idea why it doesn't work for some. Try posting your non working version here so we can see it.

What if it is a local url? if I reference a WH thread with text you click does it work the same? yes. it's not that but no colour to the text until you hover the mouse over...
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Mike G » 01 Nov 2017, 23:46

It shouldn't have to be that difficult. I don't know anywhere else on the internet where you have to edit within quote tags to make text into a link. Yes, I'm sure I can do it. I really can't be bothered.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Robert » 02 Nov 2017, 10:43

There are a couple of reasons it is a bit clunky.

We are not on the latest version of the forum software. There is a fair bit of customisation to get it looking how we are used to. Doing the same to an upgrade version is either too much work or not possible. And the other reason is this is free software with less features. Vbulletin, Xenforo etc are expensive and still need work to set up.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby RogerM » 02 Nov 2017, 10:52

Thanks Robert. The other 2 forums I frequent - WoodworkUK and UKWorkshop - don't seem to have a problem with this though, and on the face of it the same basic format is used?
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2017, 11:09

Yep, but they are on the latest version of the phpBB software.

Challenge I have is that to rebuild this forum in the way it looked before we found all the styles etc that Tom had used and rebuilt them. Those styles are built by users and are version specific.

I could very easily bring this forum up on the new version but it won't look anything like it does now because the styles we use have not been updated by the original creators to be compatible with the new version, and I have neither the skills nor time to learn what's required to do that.

We will eventually have to move to a new version but in doing that the forum will lose its distinctive, and in my opinion very nice, look and feel, and for what I consider to be a very minor niggle is it worth all that effort and change?

Not saying I'm right, and if we want to go back to having a standard looking forum on a standard template then that will make my life a million times easier, just won't look like it does now and will look like every other forum out there, but if people want those functions then I'm happy to go down that route.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerM » 02 Nov 2017, 11:24

Thanks for that Mark. First let me say that the time put in to running this forum by the Owner/Mods is greatly appreciated, and I also fully understand how something that, on the face of it, should be very simple and straight forward takes on a life of its own and can consume valuable time out of all proportion to the problem being tackled. The link issue is not huge, and so long as we understand the problem, it's not a great issue to just copy and paste a link rather than to have clickable text.

So far as the look and feel of the forum is concerned, I think that this is created by the personalities of the contributors and the content rather than the on screen appearance of the forum, and from a purely selfish point of view I would prefer posting conventions that are common to other forums rather than having to learn a work-around just for WH2. None of which is any real issue, and just reflects my personal opinion!!
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 02 Nov 2017, 11:57

Thanks Roger

Personally I do tend to agree with your final sentiments, but at the same time I do like the look and feel of the style we have.

To be honest it probably shouldn't be that difficult to work out how to modify the templates to make the screen white (which is the key differentiator between us and other fora, and one that I personally really like) so I'll try and make some time to install a new version and have a play around with it.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Malc2098 » 02 Nov 2017, 13:02

Just another plus one with the appreciation of all the work going on in the background.

I don't belong to any other fora (O Level Latin 1966!) but I stumble across them from time to time. I agree that that both the look and the feel make this forum attractive, but the sound comes from the contributors, and that's what sold it for me. The look and feel are added value.

(A Level Woodwork 1968!)
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Andyp » 02 Nov 2017, 15:29

I do it so infrequently I often forget how. With the type of members we have here no one will be criticized for pasting the direct link rather than hiding it behind some text.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 02 Nov 2017, 21:30

Andyp wrote:I do it so infrequently I often forget how. With the type of members we have here no one will be criticized for pasting the direct link rather than hiding it behind some text.

In fact as a general principle, I'd rather be able to see the link before clicking on it just in case it leads somewhere I don't fancy going.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests