It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:49

General building/construction forum?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

General building/construction forum?

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Mar 2017, 14:48

Hi all

We are getting a lot of general building threads, refurbishments etc coming through so I wondered whether we wanted to consider having a dedicated forum for these things, or to merge with the Workshop forum? I like the idea of having a single forum with all general building and construction type threads in once place, the same way we have with workshop builds.

Personally I like the idea of the Workshop forum being dedicated to just that, but understand Andy's concern about the number of fora on screen. Personally I only view the forum by way of the 'View unread posts' area so for me the main screen isn't a factor in how I use the forum, but I would be interested in the general view.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: General building/construction forum?

Postby Andyp » 10 Mar 2017, 15:15

My earlier thoughts...
I would caution on creating another board just yet. We are close if not already at a point were all the boards are not visible without scrolling on some devices which I find a pain.
Perhaps the workshop build thread is too narrow a description. Workshop is what you do in a building not how it is built.
What about expanding the workshop build thread to include non workshop builds and refurbishments.

I was not just concerned by the plethora of forums. I was thinking that there could easily be an overlap between general building and workshop builds. What is the difference between a workshop build and a garage build, or a summer house build? Or converting an existing room or outbuilding into a workshop?

What prompted this discussion was Roger's thread on the refurbs to his house (major boiler and plumbing works I think, which IMO should remain as Off-Topic until such times as refurbs to the wood panelling or a new wood floor etc are carried out.

Just my two pennies' worth.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Mar 2017, 15:44

Yep understood Andy. At the same time I like the idea of having all Workshop builds, just sheds/workshops etc in their own little place for when people come looking and know that the whole single forum is just for what they are looking for and doesn't have loads of other stuff mixed in.

Swings and roundabouts, I'm not saying I'm right, just thinking out loud.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Mike G » 10 Mar 2017, 16:09

Dunno. If there are space issues there are certain sub-fora which get very little traffic. When was a scrolling or finishing post last made, for instance. Such posts could easily fit within General Woodworking.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 10 Mar 2017, 18:13

Mike G wrote:Dunno. If there are space issues there are certain sub-fora which get very little traffic. When was a scrolling or finishing post last made, for instance. Such posts could easily fit within General Woodworking.

Yep, valid comments Mike, will take those into account when making a decision.

There are no space issues in terms of hosting etc, really I think I agree with Andy that too many sub fora can make the homepage too long and need scrolling down which while not the end of the world, is a bit of a pain. At the same time I want to make sure that we have the right fora for our viewing audience, and General Woodworking, IMHO, isn't the right place for building and construction threads, but also I want to keep, if possible, the purity of the Workshop build forum.

This really isn't a big issue and not worth burning too much time on, it just came to me earlier when seeing how much general construction we were talking about and whether a dedicated area would help.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby meccarroll » 15 Apr 2017, 04:33

First time I have read this thread so would like to make a comment regarding my view.

Anything that is well organised is broken down into elements under main headings like a college that runs many courses. If you want to study a subject you visit the main reception who sends you to the section, head of department etc for the subject.

When I first looked at this forum I thought the workshop build threads cluttered the woodwork projects section and were so different in content that they belonged on their own. I think building work is similar unless it is related to woodwork like timber framing, roofing, flooring etc. Anything I think may be trivial, minor or of a general nature I go to the general section first to post as it seems to be the place to be picked up by most on here.

Mark
meccarroll
Sapling

Name:

Postby Rod » 15 Apr 2017, 09:15

Not an issue for me, I use Tapatalk and read the "unread" ones or skim over them if I'm not interested - there's not that much traffic. The only problem is that I get a Notification for each one in my email - must find a way of stopping that.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Tusses » 15 Apr 2017, 09:18

I use the "unread" or "Active" .. so not a problem for me.

The building stuff is really useful info, so it would be nice to have it all in one place.
I have questions not been asked, as they aren't particularly relevant on a woodworking forum.
Tusses
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Pinch » 15 Apr 2017, 20:32

Makes no difference to me - I only read my threads :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm only joking of course.

I'm cool with whatever, but, having specific forum headings will always be more user friendly. 8-)

How about renaming the Workshop Builds forum to Building Projects.

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests