It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:59

Another Image problem

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Another Image problem

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2018, 00:19

I have saved a draft and am now adding photos. I have uploaded a number of photos, inserted them where I want then inline, and checked that they were correct in a preview. Not having time to complete the lengthy photo heavy post I saved the draft and now having come back to it the photos refuse to load. The reference is still there in the text, but only the photo number appears at the insertion point in the preview. e.g. the text shows [ attachment=4]DSC04895.JPG[/attachment] but the preview just shows DSC04895.JPG

Is there a problem or am i doing something wrong? I have added a space after the bracket in this attachment text to get the code to show. It was not present in the thread I am preparing.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Name: Roger

Re: Another Image problem

Postby Andyp » 03 Jan 2018, 07:55

Roger, after you hit the save draft button you should have seen this message

Save draft

Please note that saved drafts only include the subject and the message, any other element will be removed. Do you want to save your draft now?

I have just done the same and can confirm that the image was not saved in the draft. I do not know how hard wired this functionality is into the forum software. We will have to wait for Mark to have a look.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 10:32

From the phpBB user guide...

"Drafts

When creating a post, it can be saved or loaded using the drafts feature. If the board permissions allow drafts to be saved, then SAVE and LOAD buttons will appear on the posting page.

SAVE - Saves a post as a draft. When a draft is saved, only the subject and message of the post are stored. Topic icons, attachments, etc… will be lost."

Probably need to make people aware as I'm sure previously we have told people to either write a post in notepad or Word before pasting into the forum and adding pics. This could be a real pain if someone did a very long post then saved to draft and lost pics...

Good spot, cheers.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Andyp » 03 Jan 2018, 10:38

Where do the images go that were uploaded and to the post before it was saved as a draft? Is Roger's image still on our server?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2018, 10:42

Aaagghh! Saved the text in word pad and assumed that saving the pics coding would also work. So if posting pics I need to do it all in one sitting until the thread has successfully posted? Looks like I'll need to edit to reduce photo content. Thnx for explanation.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 10:48

Andyp wrote:Where do the images go that were uploaded and to the post before it was saved as a draft? Is Roger's image still on our server?

Good question. So I've checked in the forum back end and found this

Untitled.jpeg
(328.77 KiB)

Looks like I can attach the pics for you to your post Roger if you post it. I will just have to try and work out what the postID is. I think I know but will try and confirm now.

If you want to post the post now Roger then I will attach those 6 pics (I assume it's those at the top?) to it.

Thanks
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2018, 10:53

Thanks Mark. It's not complete yet which is why I saved it thinking I could finish it today. If I have time I'll have another go this afternoon. Given that the photos are stored on the server, would it be difficult to make the active link savable too?
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 10:55

Sorry you've lost me mate, so did you save it as a draft on the forum or just save the text out to Wordpad then close the forum?

Either way I think if you finish the post, post it, tell me which one it is I can then attach the pics to it then you can re-edit to put the pics in the right place within.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby 9fingers » 03 Jan 2018, 11:38

TrimTheKing wrote:Sorry you've lost me mate, so did you save it as a draft on the forum or just save the text out to Wordpad then close the forum?

Either way I think if you finish the post, post it, tell me which one it is I can then attach the pics to it then you can re-edit to put the pics in the right place within.

Cheers
Mark

Mark, The problem appears to be that if a post is prepared complete with uploaded photos and then is saved as a draft on the forum, all the photos are lost.
This could well be a PHP feature as exactly the same happens on UKW.
As Andy has found, there is a warning message presented before agree to saving as draft but I feel this is an undesirable outcome but we might be stuck with it.
Once you have established if there is or is not a fix, I can update the instructions appropriately.

Cheers
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 11:57

9fingers wrote:
TrimTheKing wrote:Sorry you've lost me mate, so did you save it as a draft on the forum or just save the text out to Wordpad then close the forum?

Cheers
Mark

Mark, The problem appears to be that if a post is prepared complete with uploaded photos and then is saved as a draft on the forum, all the photos are lost.
This could well be a PHP feature as exactly the same happens on UKW.
As Andy has found, there is a warning message presented before agree to saving as draft but I feel this is an undesirable outcome but we might be stuck with it.
Once you have established if there is or is not a fix, I can update the instructions appropriately.

Cheers
Bob

Yep I fully understand the issue Bob, it's just that Roger mentioned saving it to Wordpad, which makes me think he didn't actually save it as a Draft but assumed that copying the forum post text, along with attachment references, out to Wordpad, would be enough to keep the pics intact.

That's what I'm trying to understand, whether there is an existing thread to attach the orphaned pics to or whether he has saved it all out to Wordpad and is yet to post the actual new thread.

Either way I don't think it matters as I can attach the orphaned pics to any thread I want by adding in the last few digits in the thread URL including the last 'p'.

And in terms of is there 'a fix', nope, this appears to be expected behaviour however undesirable.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 11:59

RogerM wrote:...So if posting pics I need to do it all in one sitting until the thread has successfully posted? Looks like I'll need to edit to reduce photo content. Thnx for explanation.

In short the answer to this is
- write your post out in wordpad initially until it is to your liking,
- then start a new forum post,
- paste the text in,
- upload the pics,
- add them inline
- then publish.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2018, 16:38

TrimTheKing wrote:
RogerM wrote:...So if posting pics I need to do it all in one sitting until the thread has successfully posted? Looks like I'll need to edit to reduce photo content. Thnx for explanation.

In short the answer to this is
- write your post out in wordpad initially until it is to your liking,
- then start a new forum post,
- paste the text in,
- upload the pics,
- add them inline
- then publish.

Cheers
Mark

That's pretty much what I do. However, sometimes it takes a while to find and upload all the pics. It doesn't help when you accidentally close the tab just before you finish! I was hoping that having uploaded the photos the inserted references would find them again provided that the text was saved. Clearly it doesn't, so will take into account in future.
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 16:53

No, that's the issue, the images are uploaded but not linked to the text until published, so if you do have that again just let me know and I can insert the images for you from the 'orphaned images' holding pen, then you can place them.

So am I to assume that you've done it again from the table post and that I can delete all the orphaned images now?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby RogerM » 03 Jan 2018, 16:59

Yep - delete all the orphan images. Just make sure you don't delete the live ones as having uploaded most at least 3 times now I'll not have time to do it again before going away tomorrow morning :lol:

cheers, Roger
RogerM
Nordic Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 03 Jan 2018, 17:08

Haha, after the amazing disappearing workshop thread debacle I don't go near live stuff no more Guv! ;)

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests