It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:58

Karma, thanks, like button

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Karma, thanks, like button

Postby TrimTheKing » 12 Jan 2015, 17:00

Chaps

I remember on the original forum (I think) we had a mechanism for 'thanking' someone, and there's the same over on UKW. I was contemplating looking at a similar thing so wanted to gauge interest as to whether it's something people would find of value.

There are a couple of ways to do it, such as giving 'thanks' which will show on each post who has thanked a post, and give stats to each person on how many times they have thanked/been thanked.

Another option is something called 'karma' where you basically do the same thing but people build up a score as to how helpful they've been (or been reported as having been) to other people with their posting.

A 3rd option I'm looking at is a simple Facebook style like/dislike buttons that would show up per post and people could click to show their taste/distaste for any given post in any given thread. Not sure how mature this MOD is so this is very much a 3rd option and might no be a real goer (plus there's always the concerns with rogue members deliberately giving 'dislikes' just to cause a fuss…

Anyway, anyone have any strong feelings in any direction?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Re: Karma, thanks, like button

Postby Robert » 12 Jan 2015, 18:08

Personally I'd prefer not to have a thanks/like/karma whatever button.

I don't feel the need to be thanked if I'm helpful and if someone has helped me I'll post a reply to say thanks. Not keen on the way someone with a score of say 100 might be seen as helpful and someone new on 0 is automatically unhelpful.

Not a big deal. If the majority want it then fine, but I'd vote no.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Phil » 12 Jan 2015, 18:19

Robert wrote:Personally I'd prefer not to have a thanks/like/karma whatever button.

I don't feel the need to be thanked if I'm helpful and if someone has helped me I'll post a reply to say thanks. Not keen on the way someone with a score of say 100 might be seen as helpful and someone new on 0 is automatically unhelpful.

Not a big deal. If the majority want it then fine, but I'd vote no.

:text-+1:

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rod » 12 Jan 2015, 20:03

I agree with Robert
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Postby tracerman » 12 Jan 2015, 20:37

Trim , its a good thing that you are looking for ways to improve the site , but , for what its worth , I agree with Robert .

Steve
tracerman
Sapling

Name: Steve

Postby Andyp » 12 Jan 2015, 20:37

Must admit that I am not fussed either.

I quick acknowledgement within the thread is fine on the rare occasions I do have something useful to contribute and I always try and do likewise to others.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby RogerS » 12 Jan 2015, 22:23

I think the site is still in its infancy for this sort of thing. Maybe in the future, definitely.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 13 Jan 2015, 12:24

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=764&p=8539&sid=bd5479e7b73092d895e15f083255b513#p8539

A prime example of a post worthy of 'thanks'… :eusa-whistle:

Fair comments chaps, I have no intention of implementing something if there's no appetite, though we did have it on the original WH and it was well used hence my comment.

Will shelve it for now and see how the implementation matures in the future.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests