It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 20:12

New forum software?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

New forum software?

Postby BucksDad » 08 Jul 2022, 09:54

Are there any plans / desire to move to new forum software? phpBB really is long in the tooth now - doesn't work well on mobile, doesn't support images properly, lacks latest emoticon support, lacks reactions to posts etc. - I could go on.

I really like Discourse which is free to download / host & also has migration options from phpBB - I'd be very happy to help out migrating it!

Here's an example of it in action
https://community.cartalk.com/

The worst thing about this place is definitely the software itself. Having some more modern software might help actually grow the community as well as we definitely need some more woodworking content here!
BucksDad
New Shoots

Name: James

Re: New forum software?

Postby Doug » 08 Jul 2022, 10:01

Surely changing would take the fun out of the photo orientation lottery :eusa-think: :lol: :lol:
Doug
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 08 Jul 2022, 10:19

+1 for Discourse

As far as upgrading the software, I think it's planned, but not likely to happen soon. See here for a conversation about such things: viewtopic.php?f=31&t=5223
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby BucksDad » 08 Jul 2022, 10:29

Oops I missed that thread - thanks Dr. Al
BucksDad
New Shoots

Name: James

Postby TrimTheKing » 08 Jul 2022, 13:56

We’ve been looking at Xenforo as the replacement software but i hadn’t heard of Discourse.

I’ll take a look at it this weekend and see what it looks like. I have every intention of giving this some focus now so while it won’t be in the next week, hopefully it’s on the near horizon rather than the far…
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby AJB Temple » 08 Jul 2022, 14:08

Open source Mark. Very US centric design. Members can be by invitation only, and that aspect is easy to administer, so useful for private forums. Piano / chamber music group I belong to uses it. Seems to work fine, but we have no public membership. I don't admin that that so no idea how easy to install, though they claim easy migration from php, but not sure if version dependent. Ours had no migration as it started from scratch as a breakaway from a bigger forum.

We can drag and drop video and sound files (which is what we mainly use - not many images). Not sure how the admin organises hosting but can ask if it helps.
Don't like: wood, engines, electrickery, decorating, tiling, laying stone, plumbing, gardening or any kind of DIY. Not wild about spiders either.
AJB Temple
Sequoia

Name: Adrian

Postby Dr.Al » 09 Jul 2022, 15:04

Discourse seems very well thought out (and I like that it's open source for self-hosted stuff).

Created by one of the guys (Jeff Atwood) who started stackoverflow.com and the other stack exchange websites, in case you're interested.
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests