It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:02

Where is my shed thread?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Re: Where is my shed thread?

Postby Rob » 15 Jan 2015, 19:00

I'm slowly learning Bob.....not easy at my age :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby chippy1970 » 19 Jan 2015, 18:12

TrimTheKing wrote:Terry

A thousand apologies, it looks like I've deleted it in error!!!!! :shock:

I posted a comment last night and realised I had put it in the wrong thread, so deleted it, but it looks like I've deleted the whole thread and not just my comment!!! So sorry!

I will investigate now what, if anything, I can do to get it back.

Please accept my humblest of apologies! That will teach me for using tapatalk on my phone to delete my post!!!

Mark

Lol

You sound like me, I was taking some snaps on my phone last year and didn't like one of them so pressed the delete button not realizing that the whole gallery was selected. Deleted every photo on my phone and I hadn't backed up for months. Annoying as I had all the photos of a very plush job I had been working on for a Russian oligarch :( up in Mayfair.

I won't do that again
chippy1970
New Shoots

Name:

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jan 2015, 16:44

Hi Terry et al

I have just got off the phone with the host and after losing my sh!t in grand fashion am sad to have to report that I cannot get the thread back I'm afraid! :oops: :(

I'm doubly annoyed because I logged the ticket with them the day you raised it missing and despite chasing them with countless emails and phone calls they finally replied today regretting to inform me that the furthest back they can supply me with a restore of the DB is 3 calendar days. That would have been fine if they had not taken 5 effing days to respond to me!!!

I am now taking daily manual backups of the DB before going to bed each night, while trying to work out a way to ensure that the automated backup (which was working but now isn't) is doing it for me!!!

Sorry again Terry

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 16:56

Mark,

I've just started using a program called data replicator for backup of specific files to a schedule of my choosing.
Although a Synology product, I don't think it has to put the copy onto a synology drive. I use it under windaz but there appears to be a McVersion.

Might be a simple solution?

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jan 2015, 17:56

9fingers wrote:Mark,

I've just started using a program called data replicator for backup of specific files to a schedule of my choosing.
Although a Synology product, I don't think it has to put the copy onto a synology drive. I use it under windaz but there appears to be a McVersion.

Might be a simple solution?

Bob

Thanks Bob but that's not the issue. The issue is that the hosts backing up, or more accurately, export/dump, of the database that holds all the forum data is pants, and unreliable at best, and at worst just fails to function at all. It is also a cludgy solution involving having to run cron jobs and scripts, all of which I am barely literate in, but by no means skilled enough (or desperate enough to learn) to understand anything other than the basic of troubleshooting.

I am looking now at alternative apps which can live on my machine and remotely access the MySQL database, dump it with the specific criteria I want and save that file down to my personal NAS. Once there it can then take delta downloads at given times and store these, thus not taking up too much space.

Once I have it working (assuming I do…) then I will share the 'how' with you and Roger and maybe you guys can do the same so we have backups in multiple locations?

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Andyp » 20 Jan 2015, 18:49

I have a lacie disk drive which currently is running at 355.05 gb available. So plenty of room if needed.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jan 2015, 19:31

Thanks andy, the more the better I guess. The DB backup is only 40MB so not big at all.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Wizard9999 » 20 Jan 2015, 22:30

TrimTheKing wrote:Thanks Bob but that's not the issue. The issue is that the hosts backing up, or more accurately, export/dump, of the database that holds all the forum data is pants, and unreliable at best, and at worst just fails to function at all. It is also a cludgy solution involving having to run cron jobs and scripts, all of which I am barely literate in, but by no means skilled enough (or desperate enough to learn) to understand anything other than the basic of troubleshooting.

I am looking now at alternative apps which can live on my machine and remotely access the MySQL database, dump it with the specific criteria I want and save that file down to my personal NAS. Once there it can then take delta downloads at given times and store these, thus not taking up too much space.

Once I have it working (assuming I do…) then I will share the 'how' with you and Roger and maybe you guys can do the same so we have backups in multiple locations?

Cheers
Mark

Mark

Not to put too fine a point on it, does this mean the chances of the original thread being recovered have moved from slim, to nil?

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby Mike G » 20 Jan 2015, 22:38

Isn't there something called the Way Back Machine, or suchlike? I've heard of stuff like this, but have no idea what I am talking about.....
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 22:40

Terry, That is my interpretation of

(I) "am sad to have to report that I cannot get the thread back I'm afraid!"

Two faults occurred at once -

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 20 Jan 2015, 22:44

Terry...having had the misfortune of working in IT most of my professional life....I can confirm (knowing nothing of the actual technical situation) that you are technically known as ......buggered!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 22:51

Mike G wrote:Isn't there something called the Way Back Machine, or suchlike? I've heard of stuff like this, but have no idea what I am talking about.....

Good shout Mike ! Sadly the wayback archive has not got a copy of TWH2 on file

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... ven2.co.uk

Normally the asterisk would be the date and time of the archive you are looking for in format YYYYMMDDhhmmss.
Using a * as a wildcard shows no archive at any date/time

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jan 2015, 23:18

Wizard9999 wrote:Mark

Not to put too fine a point on it, does this mean the chances of the original thread being recovered have moved from slim, to nil?

Terry.

Unfortunately yes. The backups process I put in place, which did work fine (but I hadn't checked for a few weeks as I foolishly trusted it was still working…) had stopped. The host take backups on a rolling basis and can go back 3 days, but they took 5 days to address my request by which time the window had closed.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Postby Wizard9999 » 20 Jan 2015, 23:29

9fingers wrote:Terry, That is my interpretation of

(I) "am sad to have to report that I cannot get the thread back I'm afraid!"

Two faults occurred at once -

Bob

Bob, Mark

Sorry, missed that post, I started into the new discussion one post after that, :eusa-doh: . As I keep saying, it's not a big issue in the scheme of life. I have all the photos and I'll do a new thread with a summary of the initial stages, maybe you can splice that and the rekindled thread together. In all honesty it is probably a bonus for me, means nobody will be able to highlight the long list of stupid questions I asked in that original thread, though it won't help with the stupid questions yet to come :lol: .

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Wizard9999 » 20 Jan 2015, 23:37

Rob wrote:Terry...having had the misfortune of working in IT most of my professional life....I can confirm (knowing nothing of the actual technical situation) that you are technically known as ......buggered!

I thought you'd spent most of your professional life working in the garage butchering wood :lol: . Sorry, only jealous!
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Postby Rob » 21 Jan 2015, 01:09

Most of my "unprofessional life" in the garage :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 23 Jan 2015, 20:00

Just an idle thought while catching up on reading threads ...................

I write any of my project threads in MS Word and save it on my hard drive. As the project progresses I just keep on updating the file. (Word also checks the spelling!)

So, if 'somone' has finger trouble and deletes the thread (no names no packdrill) I can post the thread again except for the replies and comments.

Cheers
Phil
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Postby Rob » 23 Jan 2015, 20:08

yer but no but yeah but no but yur but no but......
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Phil » 24 Jan 2015, 18:55

Rob wrote:yer but no but yeah but no but yur but no but......

Ja, well no fine hey .......... :D
We don't stop woodworking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop woodworking!

https://www.instagram.com/phil_pretoria/
Phil
Old Oak

Name: Phil

Previous

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests