It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 13:27

Whats the algorithm?

Please list any and all bugs, feature requests etc in here and we can pick them up from one place. Only one bug/request per thread please, and make the title relevant so they are easy to pick out.

Whats the algorithm?

Postby Rob » 20 Jan 2015, 20:54

That causes the view in "view new posts" to purge itself of the threads? In other words what event triggers the list of threads to change? For example when I logged after lunch there were about 8 threads on the go, then I went and turned some apples and came back...now there were only 2. It's not immediately obvious what triggers the removal of the threads.
Just curious :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Re: Whats the algorithm?

Postby Andyp » 20 Jan 2015, 21:15

Rob had you logged out or had you session timed out forcing you to log in again on your return?

View new posts will display new posts since you last logged in, AFAIK. The real tech heads will be along shortly to confirm.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 21:30

I must admit to not using that feature. Whilst the forum is relatively small, I use "view unread posts" when I look at the forum. At the head of that screen, Moderation requirements are shown (for mods) and the rest are genuinely unread posts no matter how long oshort a time it is since I last visited.

"new posts" behaviour seems very variable. Sometimes it shows things I read and other times there are things it misses out things that I've not read.
Whilst it is possible that Mark has programmed something into this function but certainly in the early days it was more a case of getting the functionality we wanted added to the style we discovered was the same as Tom had used. The big drive was to get something up and running online as soon as we (Mark!) could.

Bob

I've just done a quick test after posting the first version of the above.
"New post"s showed 3 items two that I had read and a third item being this post.
I then hit "mark all read" followed by "new posts" again and it showed me the same three item.

I can only conclude that "newness" is some time varying parameter and unrelated to my reading history.
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Jan 2015, 22:04

Okay, big brain here, step aside…! This one I have wasted more hours of my life than I care to consider on trying to find the answer to this one!!! :evil:

The answer is…I don't know! Nobody does! It's a giant secret that the writers refuse to tell anyone! :)

Okay, not quite true, twill the first part is. There are no settings to change for it, the theory is (and the stock answer from the phpBB forum Mods) that it should show all posts since you last logged in, then clear the list.

The truth of the matter seems a little different with pages and pages of posts of people reporting seeing anything from only the last hours worth, to 3 days worth, with some people even claiming that it shows some from 2 hours BEFORE they last logged in. It also seems to adjust the list while you are still logged in, which it's not really supposed to do from what I can see.

So the truth of the matter is, there are no setting so change it, it should show you any and all posts since you last logged in, and it appears to be buggy and do whatever the hell it likes! :D

HTH

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby Rob » 20 Jan 2015, 22:10

well thanks for that chaps.....hadn't realised I'd stumbled into a technical "marsh" with that one :-)

I shall avoid ever speaking of it again and simply use it to ponder on the incongruities of life!

I like the idea of the unread posts Bob but because I confess to being a late starter here, it would mean a heck of a lot of bedtime reading!
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 22:12

So... Even he who has a brain the size of a planet .... does not have a clue! :lol: :lol:

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 20 Jan 2015, 22:16

somehow I find that makes me feel better :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 20 Jan 2015, 22:17

Rob wrote:well thanks for that chaps.....hadn't realised I'd stumbled into a technical "marsh" with that one :-)

I shall avoid ever speaking of it again and simply use it to ponder on the incongruities of life!

I like the idea of the unread posts Bob but because I confess to being a late starter here, it would mean a heck of a lot of bedtime reading!

That is an easy one Rob. For a start it only give the last post in each thread that you have not read so you can press it once and then scan through for thread titles that might interest you. Read those and then use mark all as read (or whatever it is called).
This will flush out everything a when you use "unread posts" again it will only show unread posts since you marked as read.

HTH

Bob
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Postby Rob » 20 Jan 2015, 22:22

Nice one....thanks Bob :-)
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Wizard9999 » 21 Jan 2015, 00:30

I have always just randomly trawled through the boards, but I like the idea of the read unread posts button. Tried it, but my problem is I can't find the "mark all as read" switch, can somebody embarrass me by pointing out how where I am missing it?

EDIT: Scratch that, just found "mark forums read" button.

Terry.
Wizard9999
Old Oak

Name: Lord Radford

Postby chataigner » 21 Jan 2015, 21:35

Since it seems to be unfathomable, I suggest you do what I do - click "view active topics", that eliminates the dormant stuff, and you can click on the little icon next to the latest post to go straight to where it's at. Not fool proof, especially where there are loads of recent posts on a thread, but it works well for me.
Cheers !
Chataigner in Périgord-Limousin National park
http://www.rue-darnet.fr
chataigner
Old Oak

Name: David

Return to Technical Issues, Bugs and Feature Requests