It is currently 03 Mar 2024, 21:05

Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: Workshop Uses for 3D Printing

Postby Lons » 06 Nov 2023, 19:16

Maybe 3D print a new workshop. :lol:
I have a degree in faffing about (It must be true, my wife says so)
Lons
Old Oak

Name: Bob

Postby Dr.Al » 06 Nov 2023, 21:35

Lons wrote:
Dr.Al wrote:Yet more wall-storage. I used to have my #80 hanging on a peg but recently I knocked it with a bit of wood I was getting off a shelf and the #80 fell off the peg and landed on the bench. Thankfully, it survived the fall, but I decided I didn't want that to happen again.

On the bench:

The attachment on_bench.jpg is no longer available

Safe and sound:

The attachment on_wall.jpg is no longer available

Yebbut what happens when you run out of wall? ;)

Probably the more accurate answer to that question is that you add extra ones. These are two bits of wood (one is a single layer of plywood held on a French cleat, the other is two layers of OSB screwed to a joist) that give me more "wall" space:

extra_walls_1.jpg
(173.5 KiB)

Both have stuff on both sides, e.g. my collection of metal lathe tool holders (mostly home-made):

extra_walls_2.jpg
(182.5 KiB)
My projects website: https://www.cgtk.co.uk
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Name: Al

Postby Dr.Al » 16 Nov 2023, 19:48

I've got one of these Axminster work lights. They're really good and I took it away on holiday with me in June when I was trialling my tool chest. I had previously mostly used it by magnetising it onto things and this was the first time I'd used the clamp.

What I didn't realise until after removing the clamp from the tool chest is that the clamp has some quite deep grooves in it and these made some big gouges in the top of my tool chest :(

Thankfully, they've mostly come out with some liberal application of a wet rag and a hot iron and I'm sure the rest will come out with a quick smoothing plane skim of the top surface, but I wanted to make sure it didn't happen again, so I 3D printed a simple insert to protect the clamped surface:

31_clamp_and_insert.jpg
(104.74 KiB)

32_insert_in_clamp.jpg
(90.09 KiB)

33_clamped.jpg
(104.94 KiB)
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 16 Nov 2023, 21:34

Nice.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Jan 2024, 16:47

Some bits to speed up setting up honing guides for sharpening (not that it took that long using a simple layout square). The debossed text is rather cryptic, but I know what it means :)

01_pile_of_bits.jpg
(146.52 KiB)

Glued together and festooned with rather a lot of magnets:

02_glued_together.jpg
(147.1 KiB)

It gets screwed to a convenient cabinet door and can be used to quickly set the right offset, e.g. setting a Chisel up for a 30° edge in an Eclipse honing guide (hence EC:30°):

03_eclipse_chisel.jpg
(91.27 KiB)

The magnets hold the blade in place so you can slide the honing guide on at your leisure:

04_magnet_plane_blade.jpg
(59.58 KiB)

With the set-up thingies on the left (which set the distance between Tormek support and stone), it can also be used for setting up the Tormek square edge jig (which I mostly use on a medium speed bench grinder with the Tormek bench-grinder mount, hence having two different wheel diameters on there - 200 for the bench grinder and 250 for the Tormek itself):

05_tormek.jpg
(126.45 KiB)

In case that's not enough honing guides, it works with the Veritas ones too (the number after the V is the Veritas jig position):

06_veritas.jpg
(65.8 KiB)

I'm currently printing a little rack to store the setting pieces:

07_storage.jpg
(70.26 KiB)
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Malc2098 » 14 Jan 2024, 18:07

Neat.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 14 Jan 2024, 18:42

Go***mit! Now I really want a new ̶t̶o̶o̶l̶ toy!!
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Nordic Pine

Name: Sam

Postby Mike G » 14 Jan 2024, 18:43

You're losing the plot, Al!! :)

Slightly mis-leading as I don't use a secondary bevel on plane irons. I do the whole edge at 30 degrees. And I only use a honing guide on chisels in for total restoration.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dr.Al » 14 Jan 2024, 19:08

Mike G wrote:You're losing the plot, Al!! :)

That's similar to what I used before. It worked fine and this new version really wasn't necessary :D .

It was partly that I'd gone down the rabbit hole of figuring out all the maths involved in various different offsets for honing guides and partly that I was trying to find somewhere to have something fixed down as I kept losing the ones like your version. I couldn't find a flat surface available anywhere that wouldn't get in the way, so I thought I could attach it to the door. That would be a pain in the backside because of gravity getting in the way, but magnets sort that out nicely.

I also did it partly because I rather enjoy 3D CAD modelling...

Mike G wrote:Slightly mis-leading as I don't use a secondary bevel on plane irons. I do the whole edge at 30 degrees. And I only use a honing guide on chisels in for total restoration.

I do use a secondary bevel, but I'm sure it doesn't really make much difference in practice, it's just what works for me. I also use a honing guide all the time, although I did spend a while practising and getting the "knack" of doing it without. After lots of practice I concluded that it didn't save any time so I might as well use a honing guide (it takes 15 seconds to stick a blade in a honing guide, but the blade can move back and forth so much faster on the stone that it saves about 15 seconds in sharpening time). As far as I can tell, either method works fine, honing guides just work well for me.

This is a dangerous topic though, so perhaps best not to dwell on such things :lol:
Dr.Al
Old Oak

Postby Mike G » 14 Jan 2024, 19:23

Dr.Al wrote:.....I also use a honing guide all the time, although I did spend a while practising and getting the "knack" of doing it without. After lots of practice I concluded that it didn't save any time so I might as well use a honing guide (it takes 15 seconds to stick a blade in a honing guide.......

I use a honing guide all the time for planes. Using the same logic as you, not doing a secondary bevel means I never have to re-grind, which I reckon is a time saving in the long run. I'm lucky enough to have a permanent sharpening station and drawer, so losing the honing-guide-guide isn't going to happen.

Sharpening isn't a taboo subject here. Arguing about sharpening.......well, that's a different kettle of fish. There aren't too many arguers here, though, luckily.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby SamQ aka Ah! Q! » 15 Jan 2024, 11:19

There aren't too many arguers here, though, luckily.

I made the mistake of letting my heart rule my head yesterday when I dropped in to "t'other place" and got entangled with our old friend(?) Jacob and his disciples - all pronouncing "Tosh!", "never did me any harm!" and generally just being t1ts. Thank God they don't frequent over here; I'd be tempted to investigate printing an offensive weapon...
A pragmatist inside a perpetual optimist, heavily influenced by an experienced cynic, wrapped around an aging relic.
SamQ aka Ah! Q!
Nordic Pine

Name: Sam

Postby Mike G » 15 Jan 2024, 19:49

SamQ aka Ah! Q! wrote:.....Thank God they don't frequent over here ...

Yeah, this place is for grown-ups.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Previous

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools