It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 11:42

SKetchup - total novice question

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Re: SKetchup - total novice question

Postby Robert » 30 May 2015, 17:49

running round the edge first to get the middle snap point to wake up was actually one of DaveR's many tips that I remembered :)

It works with hollow items too so you can move a washer for example by the centre point of one face even though there is no surface there.
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave R » 04 Jun 2015, 16:04

Wow! I thought this place had died. I hadn't seen any action for so long, I quit looking.

Looks like you all are still at it and have it all under control.

Cheers.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jun 2015, 16:09

HI Dave,

Good to see you here again. Yesterday a copy of your DVD arrived from Amazon so I'll be starting to work through that soon.
Need to fix the sound on the PC first though :oops:

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dave R » 04 Jun 2015, 16:21

Hi Bob,

I hope you can get the sound fixed and that you find the DVD useful.

TTFN

D
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 04 Jun 2015, 22:22

9fingers wrote:I surprised myself by getting the brass part right almost first time once I got my head round the radius tool which does not tell you the radius you are drawing but the offset from a straight line instead grr.

The Arc tool shows, by default, the bulge (height of the arc above the end points) and you can enter that number if you know it. You can also draw the arc with a specific radius if you like by typing the value followed by r. So if you wanted a 25mm radius arc and you're working with units set to mm, start the arc in the usual way and then type 25r followed by the Enter key.

9fingers wrote:Whilst the exercises to date have shown me about aligning edges and corners etc. I am struggling to align the centers of cylindrical parts. I found the offset tool for ensuring concentricity between circles when forming a component but aligning my roller bearing on its stud seems to elude me.

As Robert mentioned before, you can use inferencing to locate the center of a circle. He mentioned a washed but the same would work for a cylinder as well. Hover (or is it hoover? :D ) over a vertex on the edge of the circle for 2 seconds. Then move the cursor toward the center of the circle. when you get close, the cursor will snap to the center and you should get a little pop up message. Click to grab the cylinder by that point and start moving it.

You can move that point to the center of another cylinder by hover over a vertex on the edge of the destination cylinder for 2 seconds then moving the cursor toward the center of that cylinder. If you switch the face style to X-ray, you'll find it's easier to do this move. If you have difficulty stiil, put crossing guidelines on the destination cylinder to locate the center. Then you can move the first cylinder to that intersection.

9fingers wrote:I tried to draw a cross hair on the stud before push and pulling it to try making a cylinder with cross hairs all the way through like a stick of rock but the cross hairs stayed resolutely on one face.

I'm not sure what a "stick of rock" is. Must be a British thing. The cross airs you drew on the first face aren't anything for Push/Pull to operate on--it only operates on faces. You could use Move to move the cross hair lines to the opposite end but my guess is, witha little practice, you won't need them anyway.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 04 Jun 2015, 22:37

By the way, if you get your sound fixed and want a little show and tell, I can make that happen.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 04 Jun 2015, 22:46

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your helpful suggestions. I'll give them a try out.

As for Rock, yes it possibly is a British thing. It is a stick of candy with lettering and or a logo all the way through from one end to the other. Wherever you cut it or bite it, you get the same view

e.g.

I understand now why SU would not do what I wanted it to do.

Cheers

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dave R » 04 Jun 2015, 22:48

Ah! Understood. Of course you could get SketchUp to make something like that if you have faces to extrude.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Previous

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools