It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 23:00

Why do I get this

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Why do I get this

Postby Dalboy » 08 Jul 2015, 17:34

Why do I get this from my own files. They were created on my old computer and saved to disc I now want to do some mods to the drawings but I keep getting this message.

Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Why do I get this

Postby RogerS » 08 Jul 2015, 22:06

I'm not a PC bod so no tech input. But could you not make a copy of it with a different name and then open it to work on?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Rob » 08 Jul 2015, 22:19

sounds to me like some sort of permissions flag needs clicking. I don't know the solution off the top of my head Derek but as a tip, if you literally google the exact error message (cut n paste) you often get some helpful responses pretty quick. I've got out of trouble a few times using that method.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby DaveL » 08 Jul 2015, 22:21

I would think it's because you are not the owner of the file.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Dalboy » 08 Jul 2015, 23:26

Thank guys will try and have another look may have to fire up the old computer and try and save it again.

DaveL wrote:I would think it's because you are not the owner of the file.

Thats the problem I drew the first one and it is mine.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby DaveL » 09 Jul 2015, 09:20

But you did it on a different machine and in the file properties the own is on the old machine.
Can you right click on the file and select properties from the menu, then click on the security tab, post a screen shot of what comes up, I might be able to tell you how to fix it.
Regards,
Dave
My tool kit is almost complete, only a few more to get.
DaveL
Old Oak

Name: Dave

Postby Andyp » 09 Jul 2015, 10:13

Can you try and change the file name in whatever is the modern equivalent of File Manager in windows?
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Dave R » 09 Jul 2015, 10:45

You say you saved the file to disk. What kind of disk? Have you copied it over to to the hard drive on your new computer? Have you gone ahead and opened the file? You could try opening it and then saving it in a new location.

I have heard of this happening before and recall it has something to do with the way the Windows file manager works.

A quick search revealed this:

"To see the issue, you need to have the Preview pane open (which is turned off by default - which is a good thing - on Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10), Windows Explorer needs to be set to a thumbnail view, the model needs to have a thumbnail and the user needs to double click on the model to open it. Therefore, please make sure the preview plane is unchecked or closed..."

Set Windows Explorer to use a non-thumbnail view.

If you open the file once, close it and then double click on it again to open it, it will open fine. Or open it from File>Open.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rob » 09 Jul 2015, 11:30

I've just re-read this Derek. You can open it as read only right? Try opening it, then use the "save as" function and save it to the fixed disc of the machine you're working on. Rename it during that save. Then open that file from within sketchup and see if you can edit it.
Rob
Sapling

Name:

Postby Dave R » 09 Jul 2015, 11:49

It doesn't have to be saved with a new file name.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 09 Jul 2015, 17:12

Thanks for all the replies every one but for some reason I don't know what I have done but now able to alter my own drawings on the new computer. Whatever you do don't ask me how as I have no idea it baffles me
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools