It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:43

components disappear even when assigned layer is visible

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

components disappear even when assigned layer is visible

Postby oddsocks » 28 Mar 2016, 16:54

I'm trying to create my summerhouse sketchup design and have created a number of layers (e.g. a layer for the base, floor, each wall and one for the roofplate). I have used components and a few groups and copied and assigned components between layers but then made them unique. hopefully the example file (frame of the summerhouse) will explain my problem....

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B23Hn0 ... sp=sharing

the file should open with all layers visible. if you hide the 'wallplate' layer, the top timbers (the wallplate) disappear (as expected). If this layer is made visible again and the 'wall-window162cm' layer is hidden then the wallplate (and other items apparently assigned to other layers) disappear even though the entity information says they are not in the hidden layer.

I have done some googling but only found old posts where it was a known issue in earlier versions (I',m in 2015 free version) where everything had to be first created in layer 0.

I suspect its's because I've copied components, made them unique then assigned to another layer...but what is the correct way to do this and is there any easy way to fix my current issue?

Thanks

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Re: components disappear even when assigned layer is visible

Postby Dave R » 28 Mar 2016, 17:59

The problem is you've got the geometry of those components making up the wall plates assigned to the wall-window162cm side layer. Are you changing which layer is active when you're working? You should follow a couple of basic rules. Always, always, always leave Layer 0 active. Leave ALL edges and faces on Layer 0 and only make layer associations for components/groups.

I'll fix your model for you and send it back if you want to PM your e-mail address to me. And tell me what version of Sketchup you are using.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby oddsocks » 28 Mar 2016, 18:39

Thanks Dave, I've had the change the dimensions of the base to make it a square (now 230x230cm not 220x240) as the cathedral roof centre post was too much of a challenge to use just a king post and have the roof pitch segments looking correct.
I think I deactivated layer 0 during the build, but as part of the dimension change I'm managing to correct it as far as I can tell!

Thanks for the offer to correct the geometry - I've just worked out how to solve it - delete the affected layers and move the geometry to the default...then create a new layer name and with the components select change their assigned layer....so far so good everything appearing and disappearing as expected

Thanks

Dave
oddsocks
New Shoots

Name: Dave

Postby Dave R » 28 Mar 2016, 18:49

Deleting the layers is one way to take care of the problem but it's a little drastic. As it is fixed now, you should be on your way.

Good luck with it.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools