It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:44

CAD - real life animation.

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

CAD - real life animation.

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 12:47

Hello Chaps,

I've been thinking for some time to create a 3D animation (as real life as poss) of a piece of furniture which hasn't yet been made. I certainly don't have the knowledge or experience to do this as I've never used a CAD programme before. I know some of you guys use Sketchup, but I don't think this will give me what I'm hoping to achieve anyway - or will it?

The animation needs to be as real life as it can possibly get. I know this probably shouts 'expensive', but I really don't know. Logic would say the more real life, the more powerful the programme needs to be and therefore, the more expensive. I have been thinking about contacting a local CAD designer for a chat and an idea of cost.

I'm open to suggestions or any advice you might have - with thanks in advance.

Cheers,

:text-bravo:
In my previous life, I was a tree.
Pinch
Old Oak

Name: Paul

Re: CAD - real life animation.

Postby Mike G » 29 Oct 2016, 13:35

It's easy. Any 3D model can be taken into 3D Studio Max and come out looking like a photograph of an existing object, complete with reflections on the shiny bits and of course shadows. This, however, isn't within the compass of the untrained.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 29 Oct 2016, 13:41

Sort depends on what you mean by animation Paul.

If you mean a 3D model that you can drag around to show clients what it would look like for a variety of angles, then Sketchup at DaveR sort of standard will probably do.

A key requirement could be a wide range library of wood styles and colours.

Animation to me would be display some sort of moving mechanism - maybe how an extending table would work.
Not sure if SU would support this.

Unless you had a burning desire to buy and learn exotic CAD, I could imagine with some of your more artistic pieces, it might be difficult to learn how to represent complex carved shapes accurately in CAD.

Maybe if you can find some online examples of the type of thing you like the look of on a website, and then follow up the credits to the site creator

I used (have some else) to do short movies of how maintenance of electronic equipment might be done even at the proposal stage of a job. It is a very powerful technique to thrash out any disparity of ideas between customer and designer. We used to get them included as part of the contract and saved our bacon a few time when customers changed their minds and we could show the original video and charge for the change if needed.

Sorry for the ramble - might have given some ideas.
Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Robert » 29 Oct 2016, 14:35

This should be in the sketchup and CAD section where DaveR might see it..

I've never tried it but I think sketchup can do a flyby plotted path and record a video file as it does it. Photo realism though probably needs something more powerful/dedicated to rendering like 3Dstudio Max. I played with that software (3DS) many years ago and it has a big learning curve. too big for me!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Oct 2016, 16:55

I've managed to use the SU animation tool and export the result as an mpeg4.

It should be possible to make SU 'scenes' of the different views of the model, e.g. plan, FE and SE, etc., tweak the timing to be next to nothing at each scene and slow the transition down so it looks like a movie.

In fact, I've just tried it on my model of the plinth of my imminent 'shop build. I slowed the slide delay time to 0.1 seconds and increased the transition to 4 seconds and it's not bad.

I wouldn't know how to create a moving mechanism, though, like a draw emerging and closing.

HTH
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 17:54

Mike G wrote:It's easy. Any 3D model can be taken into 3D Studio Max and come out looking like a photograph of an existing object, complete with reflections on the shiny bits and of course shadows. This, however, isn't within the compass of the untrained.

Cheers Mike. So I guess the main bulk of the skill is creating the actual 3D model?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 18:15

9fingers wrote:Sort depends on what you mean by animation Paul.

If you mean a 3D model that you can drag around to show clients what it would look like for a variety of angles, then Sketchup at DaveR sort of standard will probably do.

A key requirement could be a wide range library of wood styles and colours.

Animation to me would be display some sort of moving mechanism - maybe how an extending table would work.
Not sure if SU would support this.

Unless you had a burning desire to buy and learn exotic CAD, I could imagine with some of your more artistic pieces, it might be difficult to learn how to represent complex carved shapes accurately in CAD.

Maybe if you can find some online examples of the type of thing you like the look of on a website, and then follow up the credits to the site creator

I used (have some else) to do short movies of how maintenance of electronic equipment might be done even at the proposal stage of a job. It is a very powerful technique to thrash out any disparity of ideas between customer and designer. We used to get them included as part of the contract and saved our bacon a few time when customers changed their minds and we could show the original video and charge for the change if needed.

Sorry for the ramble - might have given some ideas.
Bob

Cheers Bob - it was a jolly good ramble! 8-)

Yes, I'm trying to focus on 'The Tiger Oak Cabinet' again. You might remember my previous threads on it - not sure. It's fundamentally cylindrical with curves and spheres all over it.

A chap was in my shop last week and he was very intrigued with the artwork which is in a form of a large banner fixed to one of my walls. If I'm going to do anything with it, I need to try and get it commissioned by a very wealthy individual and to do this, I really need something computer simulated to the closest of being real - the full 9 yards. I guess I could sit down and prepare a series of water colour pictures, but the artwork needs to show the complex mechanical movement and the whole persona in its real 3D entirety.

I have toyed with the idea of learning a CAD programme myself, but I fear it will be very time consuming and probably very expensive. This is one of those where I wish I learnt a programme years ago - I certainly had the opportunity but did nothing about it.

That's a good idea about finding something similar (or I like) and follow it up to the site creator - cheers!
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 18:23

Robert wrote:This should be in the sketchup and CAD section where DaveR might see it..

I've never tried it but I think sketchup can do a flyby plotted path and record a video file as it does it. Photo realism though probably needs something more powerful/dedicated to rendering like 3Dstudio Max. I played with that software (3DS) many years ago and it has a big learning curve. too big for me!

Cheers Robert, ah yes, I forgot about that section. I never go in it you see. :eusa-doh:

Yes, this will need to look the absolute dog's danglies. Although I've seen some Sketchup work and it looks great, but this will need to look much better and I don't mean that in a condescending way. 8-)

I would like to learn. I have the ability to, it's just the time it would take me to get to 'the level' I'm aiming at.
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 18:32

Malc2098 wrote:I've managed to use the SU animation tool and export the result as an mpeg4.

It should be possible to make SU 'scenes' of the different views of the model, e.g. plan, FE and SE, etc., tweak the timing to be next to nothing at each scene and slow the transition down so it looks like a movie.

In fact, I've just tried it on my model of the plinth of my imminent 'shop build. I slowed the slide delay time to 0.1 seconds and increased the transition to 4 seconds and it's not bad.

I wouldn't know how to create a moving mechanism, though, like a draw emerging and closing.

HTH

Cheers Malc. I've just realised I didn't respond to something Bob mentioned and this will sort of respond to your very kind reply as well. I'm hoping for the animation to show all the moving parts rotating freely viewed from any of the 360 degree angles and possibly a person to illustrate scale and operate a switch to activate the mechanical movement.

I did try the rotation using Microsoft Publisher, but it was 2D and the moving parts was created on the same principle as the old animated cartoon artists - I can't remember what it's called, but my attempt looked rubbish.

Do you have any examples you can show on here?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Andyp » 29 Oct 2016, 18:47

Mod Edit: Moved to SketchUp & CAD Tools forum

I wish you luck with this Paul as I would love to see more of that cabinet.
I do not think therefore I do not am.

cheers
Andy
Andyp
Petrified Pine

Name: Andy

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Oct 2016, 19:48

Pinch wrote:
Malc2098 wrote:I've managed to use the SU animation tool and export the result as an mpeg4.

HTH

Cheers Malc. I've just realised I didn't respond to something Bob mentioned and this will sort of respond to your very kind reply as well. I'm hoping for the animation to show all the moving parts rotating freely viewed from any of the 360 degree angles and possibly a person to illustrate scale and operate a switch to activate the mechanical movement.

I did try the rotation using Microsoft Publisher, but it was 2D and the moving parts was created on the same principle as the old animated cartoon artists - I can't remember what it's called, but my attempt looked rubbish.

Do you have any examples you can show on here?

It's not slick, but it's at the speeds I quoted to give you an idea.

Imagehttp://vid61.photobucket.com/albums/h73/malcolmhjames/Ground%20Works%20No%202_zpsucpcooqd.mp4
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Malc2098 » 29 Oct 2016, 20:30

I changed the delay to .001 sec and it's smoother!
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby Pinch » 29 Oct 2016, 23:41

Thanks for posting chap, it looks excellent! 8-)

How long did this take you to create?
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Oct 2016, 01:14

Andyp wrote:Mod Edit: Moved to SketchUp & CAD Tools forum

I wish you luck with this Paul as I would love to see more of that cabinet.

Cheers Andy, means a lot matey. 8-)
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 30 Oct 2016, 08:15

I think what you might need is the Keyframe Animation extension in SketchUp perhaps.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Oct 2016, 10:15

Pinch wrote:Thanks for posting chap, it looks excellent! 8-)

How long did this take you to create?

Hi Paul,

It only takes as long as it takes to draw the model. You then just choose which layers you want to view in each scene, and 'switch off' those you don't want visible.

Once I got my head round 'layers' and 'scenes' I found it quite simple. The hard work is choosing what entities go into which layers, but that's all part of the model building process anyway.

My particular model has 9 scenes and what you see is SU's animation of transitions between scenes. You then get an option to export the animation as various files and I chose a compressed mp4, which is what you see here.

A couple of the scenes show the dimensions of the the excavations which is what the groundworks guys are working from. I've printed them out as 2d drawings.

Do you want me to pop over and show you?!

Malcolm

PS I don't have the pro version; I've only got SU Make 2016
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 30 Oct 2016, 10:30

There are stack of tutorials and examples on youtube
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Oct 2016, 17:23

Cheers Roger, you're probably right matey. I've just Googled it and looked at several pages on how it works etc. The problem I have is my brain just can't seem to focus on the stuff - this is how I've been for a few years now and it was getting worse. I'm hoping my meds will slowly sort this out. Hard to explain, but I have a mental block and lose focus. I'm okay drawing or making, but computer stuff is a problem for me which is darn annoying as it never used to be. :|
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 30 Oct 2016, 17:33

Pinch wrote:Cheers Roger, you're probably right matey. I've just Googled it and looked at several pages on how it works etc. The problem I have is my brain just can't seem to focus on the stuff - this is how I've been for a few years now and it was getting worse. I'm hoping my meds will slowly sort this out. Hard to explain, but I have a mental block and lose focus. I'm okay drawing or making, but computer stuff is a problem for me which is darn annoying as it never used to be. :|

I share your pain !! It's called old age :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Pinch » 30 Oct 2016, 17:37

Cheers Malc. I might have to take you up on your kind offer if I try and do something myself. I've just explain to Roger above, a major issue I have with this stuff.

Can the programme cope with curves etc? A lot of chaps on here probably remember me going on and on about my so called 'masterpiece' (well, it is that I guess) from an old portfolio over the last couple of years. One minute I was going to work it part-time, but that was a non-goer before it really got started. Next, I was going to do this, and then that, and then something else.... :lol: Talk about being fickle. :|

Anyways, here's the cabinet I would like to bring to life as best as poss.

Preliminary sketch with a scale impression.

And this is something I did on Publisher. I've just checked and I got through 227 pages to create the mechanical movement, which is ultimately opening the cabinet's door.

It looks a bit rubbish really and I shall probably change the 'black' again.

What I would like to create is this piece of furniture in a room with a person standing nearby, who flicks the remote control which will activate the door opening. Then, to see the cabinet from various angles as the door is opening & closing, perhaps with other features too.

Also, here's a link to a page on my website which will give you a better insight as well.
http://www.woodmonkeyworkshop.com/portf ... k-cabinet/

I bet you wish you never offered now! :lol:

Any ideas in the best way of going about this wee little project?

:text-bravo:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby Pinch » 30 Oct 2016, 17:38

RogerS wrote:
Pinch wrote:Cheers Roger, you're probably right matey. I've just Googled it and looked at several pages on how it works etc. The problem I have is my brain just can't seem to focus on the stuff - this is how I've been for a few years now and it was getting worse. I'm hoping my meds will slowly sort this out. Hard to explain, but I have a mental block and lose focus. I'm okay drawing or making, but computer stuff is a problem for me which is darn annoying as it never used to be. :|

I share your pain !! It's called old age :lol:

Easy tiger! :lol: :lol:

I'm only 51. :|

Well, 52 soon. :|

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Pinch
Old Oak

Postby RogerS » 30 Oct 2016, 18:12

Now I see the size of your item and then see the three legs and you talking about animation, I immediately thought of this

[youtube]xcPWf9RjvnU[/youtube]
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Oct 2016, 18:28

Paul,

Impressive! The leg. And the scale of the piece!

Now, I'm new to forums, or is it fora, it's over fifty years since I did my Latin O level!, but I see the concept as sharing experience and skills, as others have done for me with the design of my 'shop.

I have only several months experience with SU and only with the free version, and I note that there are others on the forum who have knowledge of animation applications, which I do not. So therefore I have a little experience in SU and probably no skills yet.

I would be happy to use that experience to try and achieve a point where you can say that either you are satisfied with what we can produce using SU, or you can say that it doesn't meet your needs and you have to explore another animation path altogether.

A slight hiccup if you should want us to try and work together with SU is that my 'shop build starts tomorrow when the diggers arrive at 8am! But the upside could be that as I can only work on it in daylight, I should have some evening time to explore the depths of SU!

And stuff those old age remarks!!! There were young grads at my work who were amazed that I knew more than them about how to use Excel and Access with Visual Basic in the background. Now, who am I replying to?!!

PM me if you want.

Malcolm
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Postby RogerS » 30 Oct 2016, 18:33

After a hard days' grappling with SketchUp, Paul and Malcolm were of one mind....

PUB !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Malc2098 » 30 Oct 2016, 18:38

RogerS wrote:After a hard days' grappling with SketchUp, Paul and Malcolm were of one mind....

PUB !!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Grappling?!! Is that what you call it! :x
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Next

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools