It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:21

Sketchup for absolute beginners?

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Sketchup for absolute beginners?

Postby Robert » 20 Aug 2014, 09:32

Just wondering if such a resource already exists?

There are people that have never seen a CAD program before that try sketchup and give up absolutely baffled because they've not been walked through the best way to get started.

I remember being confused when I started using it and I'd used AutoCad for many years. It wasn't until I learnt how to go about things the Sketchup way that it got easy.

Maybe a how to get started thread here would be an idea? I don't mind writing one up whenever I get time but its a bit pointless if it is already out there somewhere :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Re: Sketchup for absolute beginners?

Postby TrimTheKing » 20 Aug 2014, 11:01

Yep, great idea Robert. Maybe in this thread we can collect all the resources that people suggest, then pull them together into a sticky thread that points you in the right direction to get started.

Cheers
Mark
Cheers
Mark
TrimTheKing
Site Admin

Name: Mark

Postby RogerS » 20 Aug 2014, 11:46

Robert wrote:Just wondering if such a resource already exists?

Here's my two pennorth. There are some free SketchUp tutorials on the web that are aimed at woodworkers. However, many of these guide you down the least optimal way of working. For example, they get hung up on groups when components are a much better way to go. They also teach you bad practice and also not the simplest way of doing things.

For my money, the very best resource is DaveR's from FineWoodworking. It costs a little but TBH is seriously good value for money. I don't have the link immediately to hand but if DaveR is passing perhaps he could oblige?
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 20 Aug 2014, 12:24

Thank you for the plug Roger.

I agree with you that there are some tutorials out there that are commonly mentioned on woodworking forums that teach less than the best methods for using SketchUp. In some cases the author claims he teaches the way he does to get beginners going with the idea they can change methods latter. To me that is akin to teaching a beginning woodworker to cut dovetails with a screw driver and a piece of pipe with the intent they'll learn to cut them later with a saw and chisel. I think most folks would agree that it makes more sense to teach a beginner how to cut the joint with the proper tools from the beginning.

So if you're interested in the DVD that Roger mentioned, here's the linky.

I would also suggest looking at the videos in the Training section on sketchup.com for basics on using individual tools.

Also, you might find the videos at the following links of some use.

Drawing a Shop Cabinet--pt.1
Drawing a Shop Cabinet in SketchUp - Casters and Drawers
A Fern Stand: Demonstrating My Drawing Process
Jefferson's Bookstand - Another Workflow Example

There are plenty of other videos on the Design. Click. Build blog but the blog doesn't run in any sort of order. The topics vary from post to post based on what sorts of things I've been working on and what sorts of questions I get from other users.

I hope that all helps.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 20 Aug 2014, 17:35

I'm thinking simple instructions from where to download to installing sketchup and choosing the template etc and then drawing something to size and making it a component using the free version. How to pan and zoom. Computer novice sort of level. Not assuming too much computer ability to start with.

Think that is where the problem may be for new 'computer novice' users - the explanation may seem complicated or assume the user may know more than they do. I could be wrong but I'm thinking back to teaching my cousin how to use Windows after she had completed a computing adult education course and it is surprising what baffles people and scares them.

I've just looked at the getting started first video on sketchup.com and whilst its good I can imagine it frustrating someone that wants to draw say a 50 x 100 batten as it ignores sizes and concentrates on showing off the drawing tools. I'm sure drawing to size would come in later but I remember sizing things confused me at first.

Think we need to hear from those that have tried and given up as to what the problem is. I may be imagining all this :)
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave R » 20 Aug 2014, 18:19

I see what you're getting at Robert.

I suppose I could put something together that covers all of that. I have covered a lot of these things in blog posts on Design. Click. Build.

The videos on the SketchUp site are going to be primarily aimed at the architectural types because the majority of users are using it that way. Making the jump down to woodworking is mostly a size thing but the tools work the same way.

You probably already know this but one mistake many new users make, especially if they come from a CAD background is trying to set a scale for their drawings. In SketchUp the normal way to work is at 1:1. If you're drawing a line that is 18mm long, that's the value you enter.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby 9fingers » 21 Aug 2014, 19:51

Dave R wrote:Thank you for the plug Roger.

I agree with you that there are some tutorials out there that are commonly mentioned on woodworking forums that teach less than the best methods for using SketchUp. In some cases the author claims he teaches the way he does to get beginners going with the idea they can change methods latter. To me that is akin to teaching a beginning woodworker to cut dovetails with a screw driver and a piece of pipe with the intent they'll learn to cut them later with a saw and chisel. I think most folks would agree that it makes more sense to teach a beginner how to cut the joint with the proper tools from the beginning.

So if you're interested in the DVD that Roger mentioned, here's the linky.

UK readers might like to try here http://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/isbn/1621134288/page-1/ for lower cost purchases in UKP and free delivery.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby kirkpoore1 » 21 Aug 2014, 21:11

I may try some of these to try to use Sketchup again. So far my uses of the program have led to little more than frustration and anger. Something about it's interface clashes dramatically with how I think about planning items.

Kirk
kirkpoore1
Old Oak

Name: Kirk

Postby Aledafis » 25 Sep 2014, 22:12

kirkpoore1 wrote:I may try some of these to try to use Sketchup again. So far my uses of the program have led to little more than frustration and anger. Something about it's interface clashes dramatically with how I think about planning items.

Kirk

Same here Kirk! I use Autodesk Inventor quite a bit at school and really like it, the Sketchup interface and thought process just seems so different that I can't get my head around it. A lot of the kids seem to like sketchup however, so I've just ordered Dave's Fine Woodworking DVD to try and learn this package once more.

Here's hoping...
Aled
Aledafis
Seedling

Name:

Postby Dave R » 28 Sep 2014, 16:21

Aled, I hope you find the DVD helpful.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools