It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 21:23

Intersect faces question

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Intersect faces question

Postby RogerS » 09 Feb 2018, 19:25

I'm trying to model this roof...or something similar

orangerie project.png
(606.98 KiB)

I created this SketchUp model and tried Intersect Faces but that didn't seem to work.

orangerie roof.png
(33.71 KiB)

So I've been selecting everything and then gradually deleting lines. But now I'm stuck with those horizontal lines which if I delete one, it loses the face.
If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Re: Intersect faces question

Postby Malc2098 » 09 Feb 2018, 20:50

Not sure how to resolve your current issue, but I just had a look back over your previous pos on a pagoda roof and copied my process.

Create an arc in one axis. Join its two back sides together!!

Push/pull to a usable length.

Create a copy.

Rotate it 90.

Move them together as a corner.

Intersect them.

Delete the parts outside the joined curve.

I then created a copy and flipped it using the scale command and joined them together.

I then selected everything and used the scale command to squish it downwards and this was the result.

Hope that helps if you want to start again.

If not, PM me your width length and height and I'll have a go and send you back the sky file. Can't promise anything as good as Dave R.
Malcolm
Malc2098
Sequoia

Name: Malcolm

Postby Robert » 09 Feb 2018, 23:24

The curve shape you are using to intersect with is probably not a curve. It will be a number of segments that approximate a curve - that's just how sketchup works (I think).

What you can do is query the curve (or circle) when you first draw it and change the segment count to a high number. It adds more complexity to the drawing but gives you a smoother curve. Not tested it but a high segment count may not show the lines..
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave R » 10 Feb 2018, 15:50

RogerS wrote:So I've been selecting everything and then gradually deleting lines. But now I'm stuck with those horizontal lines which if I delete one, it loses the face.

Roger, since you seem to have made decent progress going the way you are, just select all of the geometry, right click on it and select Soften/Smooth. That will soften those edges and get you what you are expecting.

Since SketchUp represents curved surfaces with a collection of smaller faces, the edges between the faces need to be there but softening them will make them not visible.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2018, 17:15

Thanks, chaps. I realise now that I couldn't have got as far as I did if Intersect hadn't worked!

One question though....what is the difference between Intersect with Selection and Intersect with Model ?
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Postby Dave R » 12 Feb 2018, 17:40

RogerS wrote:One question though....what is the difference between Intersect with Selection and Intersect with Model ?

Intersect with Model forces SketchUp to check through the entire model to see if the selected entity intersects with anything else. Intersect with Selection allows you to limit the entities SketchUp parse through to just those in the selection. This can have benefits and I use it more than Intersect with Model. It can speed up the process when there's a lot of geometry and it also allows me to control where intersections are made so I don't wind up with a bunch of unwanted intersections that I have to clean up later.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby RogerS » 12 Feb 2018, 17:45

Many thanks Dave. That makes a lot of sense.
RogerS
Petrified Pine

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools