It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:55

Measurments

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

Measurments

Postby Dalboy » 05 Sep 2014, 21:24

I drew a set of plans and some how managed to get the running board looking good but I could not get measurements to stick where I wanted them any help appreciated. Look at the 5th page

Pick up truck
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Re: Measurments

Postby Dave R » 05 Sep 2014, 21:46

Could you share the SKP file? I'm not sure what measurements didn't "stick". Some of them look a little large for the rest of the truck parts. What application did you use to make the PDF file?

If you don't want to share the file publicly, I'll send you my e-mail address by PM.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 05 Sep 2014, 22:09

Took a bit to find for some reason did not put it with all the other files in its dedicated folder :oops: :oops: :oops:

I can't seem to be able to post the file straight from my computer so send you e mail and I will send it to you.

Does anyone know how to post files like this or even pictures straight from my computer

To get the files to PDF I took what many may seem the long way round and that is to convert the files to pictures then print them out. And finally put them through the scanner and save them to a PDF file.

I know long winded but I get there in the end I think
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 05 Sep 2014, 22:34

PM sent with e-mail address.

You need to have a different host for photos or other files. I use Flickr for images and then copy and paste the image-tagged links into my post here. SketchUp files could be uploaded to the 3D Warehouse or you could use something like DropBox to host them.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 06 Sep 2014, 00:33

Dave R wrote:PM sent with e-mail address.

You need to have a different host for photos or other files. I use Flickr for images and then copy and paste the image-tagged links into my post here. SketchUp files could be uploaded to the 3D Warehouse or you could use something like DropBox to host them.

Replied

I use photobucket for most of my photographs.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2014, 00:34

Did you get my e-mail back to you?
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 06 Sep 2014, 14:29

Dave R wrote:Did you get my e-mail back to you?

Yes just read it I am using Version 8.0.4811
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2014, 14:55

OK.

Well there were a number of issues. The main one that related to dimensions were that you set softening way too high and so the Dimension tool had a difficult time picking end points to snap to. You could turn on Hidden Geometry (View menu) to see the endpoints you need to snap to. Better is to correct the softening so that the sharp corners are visible. Another problem, related to attaching dimensions is that your style has Profiles turned off. Combined with the over softening, that makes edges virtually unselectable. There was also a bunch of extraneous geometry that got in the way.

Here are the things I did to your model to make it easier to work with.

Changed Units to Fractional. Since you are drawing a house, you don't need architectural units.
Adjusted the style so Profiles are on but set to 1 so the profiles aren't displayed as thicker lines.
Unsoftened all the geometry.
Cleaned up extra edges and coplanar edges that weren't needed and removed an unneeded internal face inside the front fender.
Corrected face orientation. Blue faces are supposed to be on the inside. It's a good idea to maintain good housekeeping as you go.
Softened the edges again but only to about 20°.

I also did some other things such as replacing the left side fenders and running board component with a flipped copy of the right hand one. There's no need for them to be different components. I moved the geometry inside the components to Layer 0. Only components get layer associations other than Layer 0. Also, make sure you always leave Layer 0 as the active layer. Create all new entities on layer 0 and make other layer associations as needed. Finally, I purged unused components from the In Model library to reduce the file size. In this case it reduced the file size by over 80%.

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 06 Sep 2014, 16:01

:text-goodpost:

Thank you for all the help it is much appreciated. As I mentioned I have learnt as I go along. Next time I will not go so mad on the softening process and also take on board what you have said.
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Robert » 06 Sep 2014, 16:43

Dave R wrote:Finally, I purged unused components from the In Model library to reduce the file size. In this case it reduced the file size by over 80%.

Dave - can I ask how you purge unused components? is there some automatic way?

I'm playing with my workshop layout and have included several models from the 3D warehouse and can see a few components in the 'In Model' list that are not in my drawing. outline people being an obvious one but when I right click the component in the list delete is greyed out. If these components are in my drawing but I can't see them is there a way to show all instances of a component?

OK scrub some of that! I'll leave what I typed but I can now delete the components in the components window. If I left click once on an item in the list I then cannot delete it if I right click it. Have it not selected and right click on it and delete is there.

guess the question still remains - is there an easy way to see what is not used and can be purged?
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2014, 17:15

Robert, make sure you are looking at the In Model components library and then click on the right-pointing arrow to the right of the drop down/ search line. If there are unused components you'll see Purge Unused is available. Click on it and the unused components will go away. The same thing works for Styles and on PC, Materials.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Robert » 06 Sep 2014, 18:08

It never occurred to me to look over that side of the window!
Robert
Old Oak

Name: Robert

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2014, 20:13

Good enough. I expect there's a lot of other hidden stuff for you to find, then. ;)
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Dalboy » 06 Sep 2014, 21:42

I keep finding bits and pieces there is so much on that program :shock:
Dalboy
Old Oak

Name:

Postby Dave R » 06 Sep 2014, 22:11

Indeed! :)