It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:56

A Flag Case

Where to ask all your SketchUp related questions or share your skills (in the case of our resident Guru Dave R…).

A Flag Case

Postby Dave R » 02 Oct 2014, 13:14

I was up at π this morning because I couldn't sleep. What else would I do at that time of the day but doodle in SketchUp. Did a flag case as a dry run for a video tutorial inspired by a new SketchUp user I've been working with. Pretty simple project to draw but it got me to wondering, Do you folks have a "correct" way of folding your flag and are display cases made for them?

Flag cases like these are commonly used to display flags presented to the family of deceased service personnel

Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Re: A Flag Case

Postby 9fingers » 02 Oct 2014, 13:36

Dave, I'm willing to be corrected but I don't think we fold the union flag in quite the same way as the US seems to.

The flag is either flown as full or half mast or folded and rolled and especially tied ( as I learned in the Scouts) so that it can be run up a flag pole and then "broken" with a sharp tug to the rope attached to the lower corner.

For display purposes the flag is either pinned to a wall, draped from a flag bearer's pole or draped over a coffin or grave.

I've not seen an equivalent of the precise folding technique (seen in films) to fold the Stars & Stripes into the triangular form that you show.

Maybe we have some UK ex military members who can comment.

Bob
Information on induction motors here
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dBTVXx ... sp=sharing
Email:motors@minchin.org.uk
9fingers
Petrified Pine

Location: Romsey Hampshire between Southampton and the New Forest
Name: Bob

Postby Dave R » 02 Oct 2014, 13:41

Thanks for that info Bob. The triangular method of folding the US flag places the hoist (the edge with the grommets) so it is easily accessible for attaching to the flag halyard. The folded flag can then be hoisted smartly so it isn't allowed to touch the ground. Of course when the flag is retired for the day, it is supposed to folded that way. It's difficult to do single handedly, though.

I don't think folding your flag that way would show it to its best advantage.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Mike G » 02 Oct 2014, 14:07

Dave R wrote:........Do you folks have a "correct" way of folding your flag and are display cases made for them?...........

We in Britain clearly have an entirely different flag culture to the USA. Virtually nobody owns a flag, virtually everyone would be embarrassed to display a flag, on a pole or in a case, and most people consider displays of flags to be a negative rather than a positive. I abhor the damn things.
Mike G
Sequoia

Name:

Postby Dave R » 02 Oct 2014, 14:17

Interesting. I wonder how we developed the traditions we have for the US flag. At my father's funeral, his coffin was draped with an American flag because he had been in the US Army. Near the end of the service, some retired service men (who, ironically, were considerably older than my father) marched in, removed the flag from the coffin, ceremoniously folded it and presented it to me as number one son. Then they marched outside played taps on a bugle and fired a 21-gun salute. Their last act was to present me with the spent shells from the salute.

So I ended up with a flag and a bunch of brass. I have yet to build a case for the flag but I ended up having some of the brass incorporated into pens for my siblings.
Dave R
Nordic Pine

Name:

Postby Rod » 02 Oct 2014, 20:37

I always thought the American Flag ceremonies were a way of showing your independence?
Don't your schools etc have a ceremony each morning and when I've been at Disney they have a flag lowering one at sunset?
We in England, having been independent since Norman times, have no real need for such display. Historically flags were used as identification and rallying points in battle.
The Union Flag was not created until after the Union with Scotland in the 1700's so it's relatively new? :) I should know the date but tended to shut out the Scottish independence fuss.
Flags are used at state or military funerals draped over coffins but I've never seen any special folding used afterwards?
But to be honest I've only ever seen them on TV.
I think your folding system and handing over as a keep sake, is a very nice way to do things.

Rod
Rod
Old Oak

Name:

Return to SketchUp & other 'CAD' Tools